why you hate/love big dots?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : why you hate/love big dots??

cangler
03-10-2011, 12:38
I just bought some big dots for my gen 4 g23 (ccw), fairly easy install btw. It seems like there is a lot of mix views on them. Some people hate them, some love them, some don't think they're good target sights, etc. Why do you hate them or love them? Why are they not considered target sights? I haven't had the chance to fire them yet, but will soon... just want to get some more detailed opinions on them first. I bought them for ccw given how they're suppose to be quick to sight for close combat situations.

vetmedglock30
03-10-2011, 12:43
I like them for my G26. Great for fast close work. Not good gaming sites. If the fight is with in 15 feet you will be golden. A fight at 50yrds will leave you at a disadvantage.

CBH
03-10-2011, 12:45
I put them on one of my Glocks and realized that they just were not for me. I prefer a 3 dot site or even a basic stock site over the lollipop site picture.

cangler
03-10-2011, 13:00
If the fight is with in 15 feet you will be golden. A fight at 50yrds will leave you at a disadvantage.
Yes, I've heard that but I also see crap like this and question it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8

Glockafella
03-10-2011, 13:31
I like them for my G26. Great for fast close work. Not good gaming sites. If the fight is with in 15 feet you will be golden. A fight at 50yrds will leave you at a disadvantage.

I can understand your logic, however if I am in a fire fight with someone at 50 yards. I am less worried about the sights, then my form, breathing, muzzle control...etc. and If I were carrying a G26. I would be at a disadvantage due to my barrel length and 9mm ammo.

It is personal preference, practice, and preperation. If you like them, practice with them, and become efficient with using them on your weapon. Then no worries.

I personally love them for Personal defense. All my gun training, especially personal defense training, with a handgun has always said something about finding your front sight and getting your front sight on the target. BigDot sights are the best for me when it comes to that part of personal defense. I actually use a BigDot front and a flat black iron rear sight for my daily carry. Because thats what works best for me!

*What i hate about them, PRICE!

1canvas
03-10-2011, 13:46
big dots are fast for sure and for close work [15 yds or less], they are great. when shooting farther they are also good for COM on man size targets. that is what i wanted for my defense carry guns, both my 23 and 27.
if i buy another glock for mostly target shooting i would stay with a more standard type of sight. i just think the big dot is best for what it was designed for, fast and close.

RMD
03-10-2011, 14:02
Easy to install & great for SD. Big ol' dot is easy to pick up in any light. I really don't care if I can hit a paper plate at 50 yards with my G26, but I know I can @ 15.

TSAX
03-10-2011, 14:37
I love them because they work for me, I also can shoot both eyes open easier with them. There are many sights out there and some work for some but others work for others.

Great sight picture

http://www.xssights.com/sightimages.html

Patchman
03-10-2011, 14:44
My experience is that when I was 15, 25, 35 years old, the regular sights were good enough. But now that I'm 50+, the Big Dot seems to work better. And no, if given a choice, I don't plan to engage anyone beyond 15 yards. At that distance or further out, the BG would likely be a blur anyway, regardless of what sight I have.

Enjoy your youth. Never get old.

Douglas in CT
03-10-2011, 14:50
I find this Big Dot sight IDEAL for those who have opposite eye/hand dominance.

Example:
I am Left Eye/Right Hand Dominant.

With a standard sight, there is a lot time wasted trying find the front sight and place it between the rear sight posts.
- This Big Dot sight eliminates that problem and is great for a defensive pistol.

dudel
03-10-2011, 18:29
What do you care? How do they work for You?

Domestic615
03-10-2011, 18:35
I have only had one glock that had them installed when i purchased it used. I liked them but my other glocks had either TFO's or Trijicons i just prefer them maybe because im used to them im not sure but i know i wouldnt purchase big dots for my own weapons.

beforeobamabans
03-10-2011, 18:40
I made the mistake of allowing my dealer to talk me into Big Dots on the day I bought my G30. At the range, you simply cannot see the target when it's covered by the front sight dot. This causes inaccuracy in the vertical plane. Stock Glock sights are MUCH better at the range. And as far as I'm concerned, the lack of confidence at the range overwhelms any supposed advantage in a close up gunfight.

stang68
03-10-2011, 18:47
I 100% love my big dot sights. I shot stock glocks for awhile then I bought a G23 with the three dot night sight but didn't like them. I bought the SX big dot sight and will recommend them to anyone. I'm not saying I'm a good shot but with my big dot sights now I can hit a balloon at 25yards on a pretty fast draw. I'm going shooting on monday ill take out my camera and throw it on my youtube channel TheGlockuy8. I have a review on them but now ill make a video on me shooting at different distances

A3middie
03-10-2011, 19:03
To each his own I guess, I have them on my 27,36,22 and the front bead of my 870. I have become very fast and accurate with them. I'll admit they took some getting used to. IMO best sights ever.

jamaicanj
03-10-2011, 20:44
I tried them out on a G23 and did not care for them. I prefer the sevigny carry sights with tritium.

jtull7
03-10-2011, 20:46
I don't like dots, big or little. I wish they would just all go back to India.

HK Dan
03-10-2011, 22:05
LOL_-Cute JTull.

I'm a Master class shooter, first off. Drawing and having the gun aimed at what I'm looking at is as natural as breathing. I don't have a problem with sight acquisition, and I use Warren Tacticals (no dots).

I see the "big dot" sights as a gizmo answer to a training question. You flat out can't shoot as avvurately with them as you can with other sights. Frankly with most self defense situations it's a moot point anyway as the sights never get used.

verde
03-10-2011, 22:25
LOL_-Cute JTull.

I'm a Master class shooter, first off. Drawing and having the gun aimed at what I'm looking at is as natural as breathing. I don't have a problem with sight acquisition, and I use Warren Tacticals (no dots).

I see the "big dot" sights as a gizmo answer to a training question. You flat out can't shoot as avvurately with them as you can with other sights. Frankly with most self defense situations it's a moot point anyway as the sights never get used.

+1 All said

sho'nuff
03-10-2011, 23:18
I like them much better than the stock sights. Very fast. But I am just more comfortable with 3 dot sights and I think with practice you can get fast with anything

samuse
03-11-2011, 03:30
I don't like 'em. I tried 'em for about a year. I found them to slow me down quite a bit.

"Fast acquisition" is a given when the front sight looks like a golf ball, but it's hard to do anything with it when the rear sight doesn't have a notch to put it in.

faawrenchbndr
03-11-2011, 04:51
Love them,......super fast target acquisition!
Very accurate if the shooter trains with then on torso size targets!

However, they are the most debated style of sights I've ever seen.
Some like 'em, some don't.........Ford vs Chevy, 9mm vs 45, Microsoft vs Apple.
Will it never end?

carguy2244
03-11-2011, 05:02
Good - Fast easy target acquisition.

Bad - Lack of surgical accuracy.

TSAX
03-11-2011, 06:55
Some like 'em, some don't.........Ford vs Chevy, 9mm vs 45, Microsoft vs Apple.
Will it never end?

Probably never but at least its a good thread topic :supergrin:

jeepster09
03-11-2011, 07:25
I have them on all my guns, includung shotgun...love them for defense. Like stated earlier defense shots are ususlly under 15 yards, beyond that just get out of Dodge. With all the lawyers you don't want to shoot beyond that if you can escape.:dunno:

faawrenchbndr
03-11-2011, 07:34
Probably never but at least its a good thread topic :supergrin:

Yes Sir,......always a great topic!

ibanez67
03-11-2011, 07:40
J would really like to try some of these

MajorD
03-11-2011, 08:42
the aim small miss small idea-big blocky sights give a less refined sight picture that thinner sights. While I always gound my Glock 19 to give acceptable combat accuracy, I replaced the factory plastic sights with 10-8 performance sights and the group size shrank about 50%.

Braden
03-11-2011, 09:14
I just bought some big dots for my gen 4 g23 (ccw), fairly easy install btw. It seems like there is a lot of mix views on them. Some people hate them, some love them, some don't think they're good target sights, etc. Why do you hate them or love them? Why are they not considered target sights? I haven't had the chance to fire them yet, but will soon... just want to get some more detailed opinions on them first. I bought them for ccw given how they're suppose to be quick to sight for close combat situations.

I fall into the "love them" category. I bought a set to try on my G19 and after realizing I not only shot well with them but also seemed to shoot faster I bought three more sets to put on my other Glocks. To me the big dot on the front just seems to really jump out and draw your focus in on the sight. It seems to have made my shooting a lot more instinctive.

As for accuracy, there are people here who claim to shoot 1.5" groups at 25 yards with standard 3 dots sights and they say you can't do that with big dots. That may be true for them, but I have not yet developed the skill set to shoot 25 yard groups like that at with any handgun regardless of what sights are on it. What I can do though is keep all my shots on a paper plate at 25 yards...and I can do it faster with big dots than I can with normal sights. So, they work good enough for me. Better, actually.

Braden
03-11-2011, 09:18
*What i hate about them, PRICE!

I recently bought three sets from Midway for $89 each. A little higher than most standard 3 dots but not unreasonable to me.

Braden
03-11-2011, 09:21
At the range, you simply cannot see the target when it's covered by the front sight dot.

Were you shooting at a quarter?

jhon
03-11-2011, 11:02
LOL_-Cute JTull.

Frankly with most self defense situations it's a moot point anyway as the sights never get used.

+1 Well said!

cangler
03-12-2011, 10:52
great replies guys, when i get the chance to try um i'll post my opinion, hopefully they are sighted properly.

Dave T
03-12-2011, 11:22
Yes, I've heard that but I also see crap like this and question it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8

I'm curious what it is about the video that deserves the name "crap"? The guy can shoot (meaning he understands trigger control) and knows his gun and its sights. They happen to be XS Big Dots. Guess that bothers you. Maybe you shouldn't use them incase you can hit with them. Guess that would really bother you!

Dave

cangler
03-12-2011, 11:34
I'm curious what it is about the video that deserves the name "crap"? The guy can shoot (meaning he understands trigger control) and knows his gun and its sights. They happen to be XS Big Dots. Guess that bothers you. Maybe you shouldn't use them incase you can hit with them. Guess that would really bother you!

Dave

lol... guess my choice of word isn't gonna be the same for everybody, but I didn't mean it in the negative way at all, more so ridiculous.
Lets just say, I was impressed. It sure contradicts the "not target sights", or maybe they were typically talking about much smaller circle steel plates.

RMD
03-12-2011, 11:41
I find this Big Dot sight IDEAL for those who have opposite eye/hand dominance.

Example:
I am Left Eye/Right Hand Dominant.

With a standard sight, there is a lot time wasted trying find the front sight and place it between the rear sight posts.
- This Big Dot sight eliminates that problem and is great for a defensive pistol.

Same with me; I shoot with both eyes open & the Big Dot helps a lot with quick front sight acquisition

TSAX
03-12-2011, 11:42
Because they taste good :supergrin:

http://www.dippindots.com/products/lines/originalDots.html

DougW
03-12-2011, 21:22
I have Big Dot 24/7's on all 5 of my Glocks. I love them!

cangler
03-15-2011, 14:16
update!!!

I got the chance to fire 300 rounds through my gen 4 g23 and from what I can tell, the big dot sights are pretty good. The sights seem accurate, at least as accurate as I am... and as everybody says the front big dot is easier to pick up. I think they're a good choice for SD.

fbrown1056
03-25-2011, 14:28
I have a G26 with stock sights and have been on the fence on which after market sights to install. Didn't really want the standard night sights and needed something to help out my aging eyes. I was somewhat concerned with accuracy of big dots after 15 yards. After reading this thread, I decided to give them a try and ordered a set of big dots from Midway today. Should be here Wednesday, I'll let you guys know how they work for me.

TSAX
03-25-2011, 14:33
Two words

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTieSNI8W2QnWloKF4VzG7exzaTuIWhGUquvENiHbnkYIaetzs (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ewals.com/data/acms/tekst/nieuwsdetail_nieuws_alles_18_/images/pic_size_matters_logo_compleet.jpg.v%3D1&imgrefurl=http://www.ewals.com/news/Size-Matters&usg=__d_ZuFA6h5enGmTQ0crC6lvggup4=&h=420&w=663&sz=38&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=KzZSud68va8bnM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=199&ei=2fuMTaunJ4-4sQO5v9X3CA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsize%2Bmatters%2Blogo%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D530%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=127&vpy=207&dur=903&hovh=179&hovw=282&tx=211&ty=130&oei=3PuMTdOACpG2sAOPo_HzCA&page=1&ndsp=7&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0)

:animlol::rofl::animlol:

:50cal: (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ewals.com/data/acms/tekst/nieuwsdetail_nieuws_alles_18_/images/pic_size_matters_logo_compleet.jpg.v%3D1&imgrefurl=http://www.ewals.com/news/Size-Matters&usg=__d_ZuFA6h5enGmTQ0crC6lvggup4=&h=420&w=663&sz=38&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=KzZSud68va8bnM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=199&ei=2fuMTaunJ4-4sQO5v9X3CA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsize%2Bmatters%2Blogo%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D530%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=127&vpy=207&dur=903&hovh=179&hovw=282&tx=211&ty=130&oei=3PuMTdOACpG2sAOPo_HzCA&page=1&ndsp=7&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0)