HD ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HD ammo

mc24
03-10-2011, 20:59
hey mas,
i have a 9mm which is loaded right now with just FMJ and a 12 guage loaded with winchester supreme elite pdx 1. what ammo would you suggest to use in my 2 guns for home defense use. i have 2 kids so heaven forbid and i ever have to shoot, if i was to miss i dont want over penetration and go into there room. any advice is definitly appreciated. thanks.

Mas Ayoob
03-10-2011, 21:58
mc, I would DEFINITELY recommend going with expanding bullets for the 9mm: better "stopping power," reduction of excessive penetration.

For the shotgun, I personally prefer low recoil buckshot for HD in a 12 gauge pump, standard Express load #1 buck in a 12 gauge auto, and standard (2 3/4") #3 buck for a 20-gauge of either persuasion.

Long-standing advice to the contrary, there's no load that WON'T go through sheetrock and hurt an unintended innocent victim, but WILL go deep enough into a large home invader's body to stop him.

My advice? It's more complicated, but we need a home defense plan that will puts us facing the intruder without our own loved ones in the backstop area. This is one reason I emphasize the "ensconced defender" principle, with the family members gathering in one spot and forcing the intruder to come to them instead of going out looking for the intruder, and finding oneself in an unpredictable situation where an exchange of shots can send deadly projectiles everywhere.

Best,
Mas