Internal Parts Wear [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Internal Parts Wear

sleepygreen
03-10-2011, 21:32
Im a little new to 1911's, and have only owned guns for less than a decade. I have not used any firearms to the point that they even need any worn parts replaced. Do i need to worry about this type of thing? Unfortunately between work, school, and my income, i can not afford to go shooting as much as i would like to, but i enjoy dry fire practice when i cant get out. Other than springs, do i need to worry about things like hammers, sears, or other parts wearing out at any interval? I guess this question pertains to all guns, not just 1911s, but i know there are metal on metal parts in the 1911 that i can imagine would wear out eventually (probably after 1000's of trigger pulls).

gconan
03-11-2011, 03:19
I like to put grease on top of the sear/hammer hooks. Makes it slick and has to prevent wear.

MajorD
03-11-2011, 07:55
with proper lubrication the internal parts of a 1911 (providing they were properly made to begin with) will last dam near a lifetime. One of the old timers in my club has a 1911(old gun built with GI parts) with over 100 K through it- a few springs is all that was ever replaced, and no where near with the frequency suggested on internet gun boards.

GJ1981
03-11-2011, 08:14
Here's a good read - http://www.10-8performance.com/Reliability_Round_Counts.html