Replacing factory sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing factory sights

Mathwiz
03-10-2011, 22:01
I just purchased a set of Meprolight night sights for my gen 4 G27. Is it possible to change out the rear sight without the sight pushing tool?

Front, no problem.

Dave.1
03-11-2011, 06:44
I have usually tapped out the factory plastic sights with a dowel and you can put your new sights in that way but I wouldn't recommend it.

You can dammage the vials in the night sights and ruin them. Find a shop or friend with a sight pusher to put them in properly.

Dave

dkf
03-11-2011, 08:04
So the night sight vials can handle repeat recoil from a 10mm but can't handle a few taps with a soft punch? Don't think so.

I didn't use a sight tool to install my sights. If you pay attention to what you are doing you can easily install the sights yourself.

Here is what I used to install mine.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/SDV10/Picture086.jpg

whitebread
03-11-2011, 08:21
I have usually tapped out the factory plastic sights with a dowel and you can put your new sights in that way but I wouldn't recommend it.

Even if you can get the sights in without damaging anything, you won't be able to make fine adjustments to the alignment.

Dave.1
03-11-2011, 11:49
DKF I agree that someone with experience can usually handle it but when answering a question you don't always know what the person's experience level is.

When it comes to the vials, a sharp tap from the side isn't the same as the slide moving as a unit. Especially if you slip. Lots more cushioning when the whole slide moves front to rear.

Dave