Beat Up 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Beat Up 1911

carguy2244
03-11-2011, 05:23
Shooting buddy has a beat up 1911 in stainless steel.
Scuffs, nicks, scratches.
I may buy this with the intent of getting it refinished. Do refinishers typically resurface it in addition to treating the metal.
Thinking about Robar/NP3Plus. Any other ideas are great.
Thanks.

GJ1981
03-11-2011, 07:21
For SS you don't have many choices, I wouldn't spend the $ on the paint on finishes like Robar. I don't even know if they'd do it since those finishes don't always adhere well to SS. I don't think they'll do NP3 on SS either...but I might be wrong.

You have 3 main options

1. Bead Blast
2. Ionbond
3. Melonite

Most places should blast it to take care of anything minor, but to what extent, you'd have to ask each one. They could be different.

sargespd
03-11-2011, 07:39
Robar can apply both NP3 and Roguard to stainless. Roguard is sprayed on then baked, and has excellent wear resistance. Their standard prep for refinishing is abrasive sand blasting followed by glass bead blasting. This will take care of minor scratches and such, but not deep pits or gouges. (Straight from the FAQ's on Robar's website.).

BOOSTED12A
03-11-2011, 09:36
dont forget the ole buffing wheel for some bling. SS is great for "restoring" some emery cloth, some beadblasting mabe some polishing and its good as new.

ArmoryDoc
03-11-2011, 09:55
Dave Severns "Hard Hat". Excellent metal treatment.

BeckG19
03-11-2011, 11:39
My SS MilSpec Custom was NP3 on frame and Roboguard on slide. Looked great, but the NP3 only rated average for wear. any where metal touched metal, it wore off. This was after only few hundred rounds with lube. The beavertail tang area, rails and under the slide stop all wore thin quickly. I'm sure they would have fixed it but I did not want to loose my gun for another 8-10 weeks. Pic of the gun is still up on their website.

I would recommend NP3..just not on a SS gun IMO. I assume the amount of nickel in gun effects the process.... By the way Robar, was great to deal with....

MD357
03-11-2011, 11:44
dont forget the ole buffing wheel for some bling. SS is great for "restoring" some emery cloth, some beadblasting mabe some polishing and its good as new.

What he said.