Wilson CBT Ghost Ring Sights--great deal! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wilson CBT Ghost Ring Sights--great deal!

Big Bird
03-11-2011, 07:20
I was fixing up an old 870 express and researching installing some ghost ring sights... I considered doing it myself as I have a drill press and a killer set of taps/dies and torches. Plus I build 4 or 5 flintlock guns a year. But it takes time and a perhaps a jig

As I called around I found most people wanted quite a bit to install a pair of ghost rings.

I looked on Wilson's web-page and saw they charge $140 which includes the cost of the sight (Tritium front but not rear--you can get the tritium rear for another $20)! Also add $20 for return ship.

That was less than half what their nearest competitor charged!

So I called and asked if that was correct and they verified it was... I inquired as to time to delivery and the lady I spoke with said 4-6 weeks but probably sooner.

So I boxed up the receiver and barrel and sent it to Wilson's via USPS for about $12. I got an e-mail and phone call confirming they got the gun the next week.

Three weeks later I got a call and an e-mail letting me know the work was done and the gun was shipped vis UPS and to my home. A few days later the Brown Truck of Happiness came by and I was required to sign for the package--they would not leave it on the stoop.

The work was as one would expect from Wilson--first rate. I took the gun to the farm last weekend and the sights were spot on at 25 yards with buckshot and slugs.

A couple of things--I didn't get this gun refinished and they told me the barrel will have some marks on it and need to be refinished. My gun is going off to Birdsong's for a Black T finish anyhow. But I will tell you the tool marks on the barrel from the front sight install are very minor--the finish is rubbed off on either side of the barrel just behind the sight and two very small lines--maybe 3/8 long. You could easily put a little cold blue on it and never knwo the difference. Or just leave it alone. As I said--its barely noticable. Certainly not worth the cost of refinishing unless you are just SUPER anal about a few minor marks.

One of the criticisms of the Wilson Sights are the front sight is only epoxied on. Not true. On a Remington barrel with a bead base the epoxy the sight AND drill a hole through the sight base and the bead base and pin it to the barrel as well. I had an original Scattergun Tech border patrol model back in the early 90s and never had a problem with this sight and they only used epoxy back then--no pin. But with the pin there's no way this sight is going anywhere.

One of the other criticisms is the sights aren't protected with "wings"... Folks, these are NOT delicate sights. They are VERY robust and rugged. If you manage to damage these sights you would have damaged ANY sights. These are rugged and simple sights--which is a quality unto itself.

I had great service and can highly recommend Wilson Combat if you are looking for a set of ghost rings. Communication was superb and service was faster than quoted.

BailRecoveryAgent
03-11-2011, 08:58
Pics or I call bs. Just kidding, but pics of final product would be nice.

DrMaxit
03-11-2011, 15:53
Yeah I want to see these marks you speak of. Thanks.

Big Bird
03-11-2011, 17:45
Here are the pics...Its hard to see the marks except when the light hits it a certain way. Pic #2 will give you the best view. There is another identical line on the left side of the barrel in the same location. Like I said--a little cold blue and with the Ranger finish you'd never know they were there. I intend to have the gun coated by Birdsong's in Black T as I hate the Ranger finish--mine always seem to rust no matter how much care I give them.

The gun has a Vang Comp +2 extension, Surefire LED foreend, Speedfeed IVS short stock, Tacstar 4 shell sidesaddle and of course the Wilson Combat sights.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/Shelbyskinner/IMG_0211-1.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/Shelbyskinner/IMG_0210.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/Shelbyskinner/IMG_0212.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/Shelbyskinner/IMG_0209.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/Shelbyskinner/IMG_0214.jpg

keninnavarre
03-12-2011, 07:42
Looks good, BB. Thanks for sharing. Those lines arent bad at all. The 870 I use most has alot worse marks than that, lol.

gunslinger3
03-12-2011, 11:33
Looks sweet. Is that a Glock mat on the bench :whistling:

anubisgodofgods
03-13-2011, 19:57
Looks just like my 870P MAX.

jamaicanj
04-11-2011, 01:13
Looks good

Goldstar225
04-11-2011, 11:34
Yours is almost a twin of my 870. I've had the Scattergun Technology (now wilson) ghostrings on my duty shotgun for almost ten years, they are rugged.

New York Hunter
04-26-2011, 12:30
Big Bird, do you know if they use the pin on the front sight when installing them on a barrel that has factory rifle sights? Also, does removing the barrel to clean it change the point of impact that much (if any) when the barrel is put back on? Being that the rear sight will be on the receiver and the front sight on the barrel instead of both being on the barrel like the factory rifle sights are. I usually only shoot out to 50 yards or so with slugs and 25 yards max (usually quite a bit closer) with buckshot with rifle/ghost ring sights.

Thanks, NYH! :supergrin:

doc540
04-26-2011, 13:14
Oh, good grief, those little marks are tiny compared to what they get when I throw mine under the seat of the truck. :D

Big Bird
04-26-2011, 16:16
Big Bird, do you know if they use the pin on the front sight when installing them on a barrel that has factory rifle sights? Also, does removing the barrel to clean it change the point of impact that much (if any) when the barrel is put back on? Being that the rear sight will be on the receiver and the front sight on the barrel instead of both being on the barrel like the factory rifle sights are. I usually only shoot out to 50 yards or so with slugs and 25 yards max (usually quite a bit closer) with buckshot with rifle/ghost ring sights.

Thanks, NYH! :supergrin:

Yes...the front sight is pinned through the original bead base that came on the barrel. You can clearly see the hole drilled in the side of the sight base in my pic above.

I've never seen a change in the POI when I take the barrel off for cleaning. I routinely make headshots at 50 yards offhand on man sized targets with this gun... AT 50 yards I doubt there's enough mechanical tolerance resulting from taking the barrel off/on to account for more than 1/4" shift in the point of impact. And with Slugs how would you ever be able to tell a 1/4" shift?

Cheers...

New York Hunter
04-26-2011, 23:34
I see the pin hole on your sight. The sights on Wilsons web site don't show the pins hole. I'm going to go with tritium sights front and rear. I'm just not sure if I'm going to go with open iron sights or ghost ring sights.

AA#5
04-27-2011, 00:18
I also love the Wilson sights. I've handled an 870 with them & they're way more durable than they look.

I happen to have a Vang Comp full custom 870 & it has the Wilson front tritium sight but it already came with an LPA adjustable ghost ring rear with wings. It obviously isn't as durable as the Wilson rear sight & does need those wings.