1911 slide/frame fit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 slide/frame fit

RMTactical
03-12-2011, 00:01
For those of you with extensive 1911 experience, is there any connection between slide/frame fit and reliability?

GJ1981
03-12-2011, 06:24
The biggest thing for the reliability is the pistol being setup properly. I've had tight pistols choke and others that were equally tight run perfectly. I'm sure there are times when these uber tight S/F could give problems, but I haven't had such problems WHEN the pistol was built right where it mattered. If you're going to be rolling around in fine sand, well, I'd get a different pistol.

I don't know why but it seems tight 1911's are a bragging right to some. I'll put it this way, I've never seen a 1911 fail solely for having play in the S/F.

Jim S.
03-12-2011, 06:51
GJ hit on it when he said "Built Properly".
When the frame and slide are "tight" it may require more attention to proper lubrication and cleaning than a factory loose fit gun.
Under normal conditions it is usually not a factor. It also doesn't play as big a part in accuracy as most people believe it does.

wmspdi
03-12-2011, 08:13
For a gun with slide mounted sights and optics the slide to frame fit only accounts for about 5-10% of accuracy at best (per articles I have read by 1911 smiths). The slide-bushing-barrel fit and lock-up is much more important to accuracy on these guns.

The slide to frame fit is much more important for 1911s with frame mounted optics. The slide must return to the exact same position on the frame each time it cycles to realign the barrel with the frame mounted red dot optics.