Japan explosion at nuclear facility - U.S. radiation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Japan explosion at nuclear facility - U.S. radiation

Biff
03-12-2011, 11:08
I live in southern california, im concern that this explosion will possibly bring nasty clouds to my region. Are my worries valid, and if so what should i have to prepare?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

JC Refuge
03-12-2011, 13:32
I am not concerned at this point about any real danger in the continental U.S.

I won't go so far as to say that radiation is our friend, but I think most folks have been led to believe that it is far more frightening than it is.

Bottom line--radiation at high levels is something you need to avoid. However, low levels of radiation from all kinds of natural and man-made sources is a fact of life, and if we see anything here in the U.S. carried by the jet stream from Japan, it would not leave much of an imprint. Fear would be the mark it leaves, if anything.

If I was within 100 miles downwind of a Japanese reactor that is melting down, I would get out of the way--move in a perpendicular fashion to the direction the wind is carrying the fallout. (If it is traveling east toward you, move north or south till you are out of the path as directed by authorities.)

Between 100 miles and as much as 1000 miles downwind I would be paying close attention to local radiation readings on a daily basis. It may be that slight elevations in background radiation readings will not be worth much concern. Or it may be that you would want to take some doses of Potassium Iodide to protect your thyroid gland (especially important for younger people as years down the road, they might otherwise suffer from thyroid cancer).

But with that said, obviously, you want to continue to pay attention to the changing conditions regardless. Reality has a funny way of sneaking up and flanking you. Just when you think you've got it figured out and you let down your guard, wham!

Right now, I'd suggest that no one in the lower 48 needs to be worried, but continue to watch the situation just in case. And it won't hurt to find those bottles of Potassium Iodide you've got squirreled away somewhere. Just wait till the authorities start to advise that you take Potassium Iodide. It won't hurt you if you take it needlessly, but no sense in wasting it either.