First Click, instead of bang [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Click, instead of bang

raidhell27
03-12-2011, 21:17
Today (I was shooting cheap russian ammo) I had a round go "click" instead of bang. It was pretty suprising given I have shot a few hundred rounds of this ammo w/out a problem. Any way here is the disturbing part of the story.

After the shock of the round not firing I immediatly tried to rack the slide and eject the round, but the slide would not fully rack. In fact it would barely move at all. I was able to move it just enough in order to break it down and take the slide off.

So I now had a slide in hand with a dud bullet. I removed the spring, but the barrel would not budge. After some thought I took a rubber mallet at tapped on the top of the slide and the bullet literally made a poping sound and then I was able to take the barrel out and remove the dud bullet. After the pop it also smelled like gun powder. I examined the bullet for a minute and the primer had been pushed into the casing, I assume this is why I could smell the powder.

So after all that explanation, what happend. My main concern is why would the slide not rack.....has any one else had this happen?

Thanks.

Butch
03-12-2011, 21:20
Clean your chamber real well and see what happens (use better ammo to try it out with, or dummy rounds if you're not at the range).

raidhell27
03-12-2011, 21:23
Clean your chamber real well and see what happens (use better ammo to try it out with, or dummy rounds if you're not at the range).

After I got the round out, I shot the rest of the box....just for the hell of it. Shot just fine. Came home, cleaned the gun, and I assume it is good to go. I just wonder what happened that would not allow the slide to rack.

G17gen3
03-12-2011, 21:29
I had something like this happen to me w/ some crappy re-loads my range was selling. One reload was not made to specs and had bulges at the base. It never would fully seat in the barrel. My slide locked up not moving forward or backward and I had to remove the slide cover plate and then the extractor spring and extractor to get the slide moving for field striping. In my case the extractor was preventing movement of the slide due to the round being stuck pretty good.

HotRoderX
03-12-2011, 21:49
Any chance the case was out of specs? I know on a different post someone was having a similar issue with a rifle and it was the cases where off spec by like .010 which caused his action to freeze unless he fired then it would work fine.

CitizenOfDreams
03-12-2011, 22:41
Here is what might have happened: the case had no flash holes (seen it before with Russian ammo), the primer detonated and popped out, jamming the action. Did you hear any "pop" when you pulled the trigger? What does the primer look like?

llcoolj_2222
03-12-2011, 22:46
Most probably that the firing pin got stuck in the primer, thus preventing the barrel from going down.

raidhell27
03-13-2011, 08:35
Here is what might have happened: the case had no flash holes (seen it before with Russian ammo), the primer detonated and popped out, jamming the action. Did you hear any "pop" when you pulled the trigger? What does the primer look like?

The primer did go "pop", but not until I tapped on the slide with the rubber mallet.

Glockrunner
03-13-2011, 09:02
most probably that the firing pin got stuck in the primer, thus preventing the barrel from going down.

.....+1