Ameriglo I-DOT Pro Green/Green, or Green/Yellow? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ameriglo I-DOT Pro Green/Green, or Green/Yellow?

Neal
03-12-2011, 22:34
The Green/Yellow is sold out right now anyway, but which are more popular?

smokintonye
03-13-2011, 18:15
Not sure, but I want to try a set of the geen/yellow combo for my new Gen4 26. Anyway of finding out when they will be back in stock?

amt115
03-15-2011, 00:00
I think the green/green night sights are probably the most popular across all the different brands, but I actually prefer the contrast of a green/yellow combination.

Neal
03-20-2011, 07:55
Not sure, but I want to try a set of the geen/yellow combo for my new Gen4 26. Anyway of finding out when they will be back in stock?

I just sent them an e-mail inquiry.

Neal
03-20-2011, 07:59
I think the green/green night sights are probably the most popular across all the different brands, but I actually prefer the contrast of a green/yellow combination.

Thanks. I think I would prefer the contrast also. I have read that yellow tritium is not as bright as green, but in the case of a dot over dot, that may not be a bad thing.

smokintonye
03-20-2011, 20:00
I ended up ordering the same front sight as the I-dot pro's, and got the pro operator rear in yellowinstead. I remebered how I tried XS big dots and didn't like them, and the I-dot is kind of the same concept, so I figure I am just a traditional 3-dot kinda guy!

Shadyscott69
03-20-2011, 20:04
I just got a set of U-RAP green/green from them. My absolute FAVORITE sights ever.

GRT45
03-20-2011, 21:15
The yellow tritium at the rear sight is definitely not as bright as the green, but that's a characteristic I prefer. Under conditions of near total darkness and heightened anxiety, I feel the brighter green tritium focuses attention on the front sight and can't be confused with the rear sight as it might if both were green dots of nearly equal brightness.

I also much prefer a two-dot night sight configuration over a three dot system (two at rear). I believe a three dot system is more distracting, slower to get aligned on target and more prone to confuse the shooter in near total darkness. It's just my opinion and a personal preference. Some shooters like a tritium front sight only with a plain black rear sight, but I prefer something on the rear sight to index front and rear in total darkness just in case it's needed.

texas 48
03-23-2011, 18:37
The yellow tritium at the rear sight is definitely not as bright as the green, but that's a characteristic I prefer. Under conditions of near total darkness and heightened anxiety, I feel the brighter green tritium focuses attention on the front sight and can't be confused with the rear sight as it might if both were green dots of nearly equal brightness.

I also much prefer a two-dot night sight configuration over a three dot system (two at rear). I believe a three dot system is more distracting, slower to get aligned on target and more prone to confuse the shooter in near total darkness. It's just my opinion and a personal preference. Some shooters like a tritium front sight only with a plain black rear sight, but I prefer something on the rear sight to index front and rear in total darkness just in case it's needed.

I totally agree. I have 2 sets and prefer them to my Heine Straight 8's. I like the 8 configuration because for me I focus more on the front sight and lining up with just 1 other dot is quicker. I like the Ameriglo front sight because of the white ring around the dot. Helps me pick up the front sight faster in good lighting.I liked the fronts so well that I bought 3 of the.220 and replaced my Heine fronts.

denn1911
03-23-2011, 18:52
Green/Yellow has a nice contrast. I just ordered a Green w/ Orange Circle Front and the I-Dot Rear for my G19.

Neal
03-23-2011, 20:07
I totally agree. I have 2 sets and prefer them to my Heine Straight 8's. I like the 8 configuration because for me I focus more on the front sight and lining up with just 1 other dot is quicker. I like the Ameriglo front sight because of the white ring around the dot. Helps me pick up the front sight faster in good lighting.I liked the fronts so well that I bought 3 of the.220 and replaced my Heine fronts.\

Me too, on the figure 8 dots. I have a Heinie straight 8 slant pro set on a 1911 and in the dark, the dot over dot is much easier to manage than 3 dots. The trouble with the Heinies is there is not enough light on the sides of the front post. I have not seen any Ameriglos, but I hope they have a wider rear notch.

texas 48
03-23-2011, 20:18
\

Me too, on the figure 8 dots. I have a Heinie straight 8 slant pro set on a 1911 and in the dark, the dot over dot is much easier to manage than 3 dots. The trouble with the Heinies is there is not enough light on the sides of the front post. I have not seen any Ameriglos, but I hope they have a wider rear notch.
The I dots have much wider notch U shaped. Heine has the QUIK notch which is wider than the regular straight 8 but they cost 139.95. The Ameriglos were 60.00 cheaper.

Neal
03-23-2011, 21:05
The I dots have much wider notch U shaped. Heine has the QUIK notch which is wider than the regular straight 8 but they cost 139.95. The Ameriglos were 60.00 cheaper.

Thanks. I think I would like Ameriglos, but still have not heard back on my e-mail inquiry from 3 days ago. May have to call them.

texas 48
03-23-2011, 21:09
Thanks. I think I would like Ameriglos, but still have not heard back on my e-mail inquiry from 3 days ago. May have to call them.

They are good to deal with here is their phone number 1-770-390-0554

gh0st614
03-26-2011, 05:36
I got Green/Green and I love them. Nothing confusing about them in the dark. Yellow might come in handy more with 3 dots. Stacking 2 dots is just easy as pie.

Neal
03-26-2011, 14:06
I got Green/Green and I love them. Nothing confusing about them in the dark. Yellow might come in handy more with 3 dots. Stacking 2 dots is just easy as pie.

OK thanks. I called them on Thursday and left a message asking for a return call. Nothing yet, and still no answer from my e-mail a week ago. :(

smokintonye
03-26-2011, 17:43
Did you send an Email from your home Email? Or did you send the message form their Website? I have always had my questions answered by the next day when sent from their website.

Neal
03-26-2011, 18:25
Did you send an Email from your home Email? Or did you send the message form their Website? I have always had my questions answered by the next day when sent from their website.

From their website "contact us" page.

gh0st614
03-26-2011, 19:19
Everybody says the yellow are not as bright as the green and I didnt really want to try them since the rear dot is also slightly smaller in appearance without the outline. I didnt want it to be smaller and dimmer

smokintonye
03-26-2011, 19:34
From their website "contact us" page.
Hmmmm...Not sure then.

smokintonye
03-26-2011, 19:35
Everybody says the yellow are not as bright as the green and I didnt really want to try them since the rear dot is also slightly smaller in appearance without the outline. I didnt want it to be smaller and dimmer
They are dimmer, but still plenty bright in my opinion. I have the Pro-Glo front, and the Pro operator rear in yellow. Liking them alot so far.

gh0st614
03-26-2011, 19:54
Well thats cool, if you already got some yellow going on you know what your getting into :)

Have you got to shoot the i dot pros yet? Im curious to hear how much you like them over 3 dot sights. Glocks I usually only use the stock ball/cup sights but my groups are like 8" with them lol. I think when I goto the range Im going to cut those groups into half.

Neal
04-05-2011, 18:16
Just talked to a live person at Ameri-Glo. He said they should have the green/yellow I-dot Pros in 3 or 4 days. I can easily wait a few days on the green/yellows, but after reading the opinions here, I can't decide which to buy. It looks like the votes on green/green/ vs. green/yellow are split down the middle. Richard at Ameri-Glo said he prefered green/green, as the yellow was a little too dim for his liking. But, as others have stated, the front sight is the most important, and the eye should be drawn to the front sight first, right? Some people even use a front tritium only, with a plain black rear. I think I'll try green/yellow. If I don't like it , I can always replace the rear sight.

GRT45
04-05-2011, 18:47
Neal, for another opinion on this topic, please read the question posed to Mas Ayoob and his response (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1219743):

Question (ArmyCop):
Anyone here have a night sight on the front only - not on the rear?

Also - for those who have on both front AND rear - who has a different color on front than the one on the rear?

Thanks in advance

Answer (Mas Ayoob):
I've met lots of folks who felt that Tritium in just the front sight was all they needed, particularly at close range. Give it a try, and if it doesn't work for you, it will be no trick to retrofit Tritium rear sights.

The two-color night sights have two rationales. One is that this allows the eye to pick up the front sight faster. The most common combination is green front, amber or yellow rear. The second rationale is that it is possible for someone who grabs their gun awkwardly or has not made proper hold second nature, to mistake which dot is which, and "shoot off" far enough to the side to miss in the dark. This is always a concern with police departments, who know that some of the officers to whom they issue sidearms will only train with them when paid and ordered to do so.

This topic goes very much toward individual variations in eyesight and levels of familiarity with their handguns.

best,
Mas
<!-- / message --><!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

smokintonye
04-05-2011, 19:46
That's the tuff part. Everybody is going to percieve things a little differently. I have had the traditional Green/Green, and now have the Green/Yellow, and I think the yellow is still plenty bright. I have a Gen 4 17 with the Pro-Glo front, and a plain black rear, and for me I think I would like to replace it with some type of rear night sight. I bought it more as a Range/GSSF gun, so I didn't see a rear night sight as necessary, but now I don't see a reason to NOT have one on there after having the Pro-Operator rear on my 26. It still is subdued enough durring day light hours to not be distracting, but still has the benefit of tritium.