Do you have a suggested Dryfire/.22lr/service cal ratio for training? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a suggested Dryfire/.22lr/service cal ratio for training?

Boring
03-14-2011, 15:39
Do you have a suggested dryfire - .22lr - service round training ration?

I've heard a suggested ratio of 100 dryfires for every 10 rounds of .22lr fired, and 10 of .22lr to every 1 round of 9/40/45/ectra...(100:10:1)

Does this sound like a good practice ratio for a person to try to hold to, and if not, what would you suggest in terms of dryfire to .22lr to service round?

Mas Ayoob
03-14-2011, 16:29
Only a few .22s, mostly target pistols, are expressly designed to withstand dry-firing. Most .22s, dry firing will beat up firing pin and peen edge of chamber mouth.

Suggest using the .22s for cheap live-fire practice, and doing the dry-fire practice with your centerfires. Few modern centerfire guns will be harmed by dry-fire.

best,
Mas

Boring
03-15-2011, 09:34
Thanks.

Mas Ayoob
03-15-2011, 18:18
Boring, I think I may have misunderstood your original question, and if so, I apologize.

The ratio is individual. It's going to depend on the shooter's budget, schedule, and access to ammo and live-fire ranges. Dry-fire is always the most convenient and cheapest. .22 gives cheap trigger time with assessable hits. Live fire with full power ammo with the gun you're working on developing skill with is, of course, at the top of the pyramid of desirability.

Never mind what the rest of us think. Your particular situation and needs will dictate.

best,
Mas

Boring
03-16-2011, 11:24
Thank you for the clarification.

I'm trying for a ratio like I described because of time and budget, and the need for structure.

I know with the lack of full power practice I'm loosing out on developing speed for followup shots & recoil control...but it's better than wishing I was shooting while I do nothing.