45 GAP & 45 ACP - Shared Components? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 45 GAP & 45 ACP - Shared Components?

logiztix
03-15-2011, 11:10
I'm looking to start reloading 45 ACP for use in a Glock 36 and a couple of 1911s. I also have a Glock 37 that is impossible to find ammo for locally, but I love the gun. I would like to feed them all with as many shared components as possible.

What is a good bullet that can be shared between both rounds? I see the 200gr Montana Gold Flat Point is popular for the GAP. Will this feed reliably in a Glock 36 or 1911? Will a regular, round FMJ work for GAP? Do different brands of dies work better for JFP than others?

The general idea is to regularly load 45 ACP, but be able to reload 45 GAP with the same die set, powder and bullet.

Roughedgekid
03-15-2011, 16:47
I try to keep my GAP loads 200gr or under and use Berrys RN or Gold dot HP's and I can use both in my 1911's and glocks. I bought a socond set of dies just because I dont want to adjust every time I change. My 1911's are picky about OAL so as long as you watch that you should be good.

dudel
03-15-2011, 17:30
Congrats on the G37. My current favorite GAP is the G38. Great gun, great round.

Good news is that you can share lots of components (and equipment).

1) Dies - Use the same for ACP and GAP. Note that the Lee ACP dies are at their limit for GAP. Lee has shorter die bodies and less threads than other dies. I ended up getting a second set of ACP dies to leave in the dedicated GAP toolhead.

2) Powders - Use Bullseye, 231, PowerPistol, Unique, AA#2 and WST. All work great in GAP and ACP. You'll find that the GAP usually requires about 1gr less per loading compared to the equivalent ACP load (WST seems to be the exception).

3) Shellholders/plates - Even with the GAP's rebated rim, the same shell holder/plate works well for both rounds.

4) Projectiles - I like the Rainier 200gr plated hollow points. Midway generally has them on sale. This projectile works well in my G38, 1911 and P90. Rainier also has a 185gr what works well in both. I haven't bothered with a 230gr projectile yet.

5) Primers - Yep! If you convert your ACP brass to small primer, you can interchange primers between GAP and ACP. All my active ACP brass is now Speer or Federal small primer brass. Love it.

6) Ammo cases - You can use the ACP MTM cases to store GAP rounds.

Hope that helps

jmorris
03-16-2011, 05:59
I load GAP rounds for my 625's as they moon/demoon without tools and the small primer allows for lighter trigger pull and remain reliable. I use precision and berry's 230's for both as they feel softer than 200's at power factor. The only thing not the same about the two when I load are the primers.

dbarry
03-16-2011, 15:51
+1 on what dudel said

logiztix
03-16-2011, 21:23
Thanks for the excellent break-down of what I can share between ACP & GAP. My Hornady book didn't show GAP at all, but I did pick up a Speer manual that shows some 200gr JFP loads for both using the same Speer bullet. I now own a set of RCBS dies for 45 ACP/GAP. I also rounded up a pound of Power Pistol that should work for both. I'll study my bullet options now that I have a better idea where to start.

dudel
03-17-2011, 02:31
Thanks for the excellent break-down of what I can share between ACP & GAP. My Hornady book didn't show GAP at all, but I did pick up a Speer manual that shows some 200gr JFP loads for both using the same Speer bullet. I now own a set of RCBS dies for 45 ACP/GAP. I also rounded up a pound of Power Pistol that should work for both. I'll study my bullet options now that I have a better idea where to start.

Lyman 49 also has GAP loads. The was a recent post where I listed a number of GAP related sites. A couple of them had some load ideas. IIRC, it was either in the Bulldawgs forum or General Glock forum. dBarry will remember.

dbarry
03-17-2011, 04:26
I think this is the post dudel was talking about. Several links w/ gap info:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1317607

Also on the bull dawgs club there is a sticky at the top w/ gap loads:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

I use 4.7 grains of bullseye for both my 45 ACP and 45 GAP loads w/ either 230 or 200 grain berry's bullet.

dudel
03-17-2011, 18:09
I think this is the post dudel was talking about. Several links w/ gap info:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1317607

Also on the bull dawgs club there is a sticky at the top w/ gap loads:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

I use 4.7 grains of bullseye for both my 45 ACP and 45 GAP loads w/ either 230 or 200 grain berry's bullet.

That's it! Thanks.

Interesting. I'm running the same BE load with 200gr Rainier HP. Shoots great, doesn't it. Softest recoiling 45 I've EVER shot at ~900fps. Great groups as well out of the G38.