Hydrostatic shock and handguns... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hydrostatic shock and handguns...

WoodenPlank
03-15-2011, 19:10
Mas,
I had a recent discussion with a friend about hydrostatic shock being induced by handgun rounds. I seem to remember seeing articles in the past documenting it occurring with 357SIG, 9mm +P+, and possibly .357 Magnum. My friend disagreed, saying he didn't see how it was possible with handgun rounds.

Obviously, GATE requires fairly short answers, but have you run across any documented instances of it happening with shoots using handguns? If so, could you share some articles or writeups on instances where it has happened?

Mas Ayoob
03-17-2011, 00:37
The same bullet at higher velocity seems to hyperextravasate more tissue around the wound track, though with an expanding bullet design, higher velocity will tend to reduce penetration. The term "hydrostatic shock" seems to trigger something close to rabies symptoms with some folks on one side of this polarized issue.

I testified in court this morning on a fatal shooting case in which .357 SIG 125 grain Speer Gold Dot caused massive damage and delivered an instant one-shot stop. Terminology aside, the concept works.

For debate -- all you can handle on the topic -- I'd suggest the Caliber Corner section here at Glock Talk.

best,
Mas

WoodenPlank
03-17-2011, 18:07
The same bullet at higher velocity seems to hyperextravasate more tissue around the wound track, though with an expanding bullet design, higher velocity will tend to reduce penetration. The term "hydrostatic shock" seems to trigger something close to rabies symptoms with some folks on one side of this polarized issue.

I testified in court this morning on a fatal shooting case in which .357 SIG 125 grain Speer Gold Dot caused massive damage and delivered an instant one-shot stop. Terminology aside, the concept works.

For debate -- all you can handle on the topic -- I'd suggest the Caliber Corner section here at Glock Talk.

best,
Mas

As always, thanks for the reply, Mas.