Gun light for Glock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun light for Glock?

pknimrod
03-16-2011, 07:23
I am sure this has been posted before but I have been unable to "search' for this topic. I am looking for a light for my Glock 17L (with rail) and was wondering what the best price/performance was out there. Combination light/laser? Separate laser?
Recommendations or links would be appreciated.
Thanks, Peter.

Glockpimp
03-16-2011, 07:25
Streamlight (http://www.streamlight.com/market/market.aspx?mkid=6) TLR-1 or 2

Mr.Pliskin
03-16-2011, 07:31
That or you can spend double for a Surefire x300 or x400...I have the streamlight

firemedic1343
03-16-2011, 07:35
I like the TLR-1, I picked up the TLR-1S when it was on sale for $85. I believe the TLR-2 has the laser.

pknimrod
03-16-2011, 07:38
Wow, thanks for the prompt response. I guess the TLR-! is the straight light and the TLR-2 has the laser as well? Any recommendations? I am tempted to get the stratight light as the laser (in my experience with a cheaper unit) was not that easy to sight in.
Peter.

denn1911
03-16-2011, 07:44
The Streamlight TLR-1 and TLR-2 are good value for your money. If price isn't an issue, Surefire's X300 and X400 are very nice. I have the TLR-2 and the X300. I use the X300 on my G17 all the time, and it is great. Good luck.

9mm+p
03-16-2011, 07:46
I was looking for a light for my 19 recently and didn't want to spend a fortune. Had a friend with one of these on his 17 that seemed to function great and is well constructed... Can't beat the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Pistol-Rifle-Flashlight-Release-Weaver/dp/B001BZPJRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300283027&sr=8-1

GeorgiaRedfish
03-16-2011, 07:47
Anything but the glock light, my buddy hated hit, with it in his safe it would turn on by itself sometimes and it would drain the batteries.

mcs
03-16-2011, 07:49
I like my surefire x300.

swinokur
03-16-2011, 08:01
In between the Streamlight and Surefire are the Insight Tech M series lights

Light only M3X LED or light laser combo M6X LED.

150+ lumens and waterproof to 66 feet like the Surefire. The Streamlights are waterproof to 1 meter if this is an important issue for you.

The Insights use a latch bar mounting system which I like better than the Streamlight screw clamp. The Surefire X300 uses a latch bar as well. The X400 is a screw clamp.

Captains1911
03-16-2011, 08:09
I was looking for a light for my 19 recently and didn't want to spend a fortune. Had a friend with one of these on his 17 that seemed to function great and is well constructed... Can't beat the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Pistol-Rifle-Flashlight-Release-Weaver/dp/B001BZPJRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300283027&sr=8-1

Can't beat the price for a reason, that NCstar light is junk, has he shot his gun with the light attached yet?

Captains1911
03-16-2011, 08:12
TLR-1s on sale for $85 here, best light for the money period.
http://www.ombexpress.com/p_FL779.aspx

ETA: oops, out of stock, can be had for $110 elsewhere, still a great deal IMO.

pknimrod
03-16-2011, 08:15
9mm I think I have to agree with a previous poster. I bought a similar light from CDNN, combination light and laser. VERY inconsistent results. Laser doesn't work any more and the flashlight comes on when it wants to! That is why I am prepared to spend a bit more and get something that works when I want it to. Not dissing your friends choice, just that mine does not work well.
Peter.

KennyFSU
03-16-2011, 08:23
+1 on the TLR-1s.

teleblaster
03-16-2011, 08:27
Do the TLRs mount and demount quickly and easily enough that you could use the pistol for CC during the day and then slap the light on at night for the nightstand?

Brianharless13
03-16-2011, 08:29
Picked up a Streamlight TLR-1 for my father's Glock 22 for Christmas. He loves it.

Captains1911
03-16-2011, 08:37
Do the TLRs mount and demount quickly and easily enough that you could use the pistol for CC during the day and then slap the light on at night for the nightstand?

It doesn't slide on from the front like the X300 or Glock light, but rather slips over and around the rail from the side and is secured with a thumb screw (actually a screw driver or coin should be used to tighten a little more past finger tight). I wouldn't call it "quick" but isn't terribly tedious either. The advantage of this mounting method is that it doesn't require the user to cover the muzzle of the gun with his hand to mount or dismount.

SARGENT AT ARMS
03-16-2011, 08:39
Streamlight TLR-1 works great on both my Glocks.

Tom in Arizona
03-16-2011, 08:43

Yes they do, I have a couple of the TLR-2's and use them on a variety of weapons, Glock pistols, AR, shotgun.

In addition Streamlight has a number of different mounts available. Recently used the laser on the TLR-2 to sight in a new night vision scope on the AR then return to the original scope. Just project the laser onto a distant object and zero the laser to the zero on the scope. Then remove the scope and replace with the next one and zero the scope to the red dot.

I ordered an extra shotugn magazine tube clamp mount to make a mount to use on rifle barrels with a spacer to assist when changing scopes.

bustedknee
03-16-2011, 09:31
For tracking in the dark, nothing makes the blood drops glow like a Coleman lantern.

I have the Glock and the light but I cannot find the proper mount.

Duct tape?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/lantern.jpg

JaPes
03-16-2011, 09:41
I use an Insight M3. Works well for me.

http://www.insighttechgearstore.com/m3led.html

Chowser
03-16-2011, 10:03
I have used the tlr-1 for yearz with no issue. I upgraded to the tlr-1 c4 last year. Mine is mounted on my 31 and i have a dedicated holster for it. I dont take it on or off since it is my duty gun. My bedside gun is my Hk Uspc45. I ordered a Tlr-3 for it. It will also stay mounted on. If i need a gun without a light i'd just grab my 33. For me it is more practical to just leave the light on.

MrV
03-16-2011, 10:29
+8 for the TLR-1S

I don't really know why you'd want a light on your 17l...but to each his own.

teleblaster
03-16-2011, 10:30
It doesn't slide on from the front like the X300 or Glock light, but rather slips over and around the rail from the side and is secured with a thumb screw (actually a screw driver or coin should be used to tighten a little more past finger tight). I wouldn't call it "quick" but isn't terribly tedious either. The advantage of this mounting method is that it doesn't require the user to cover the muzzle of the gun with his hand to mount or dismount.

Yes they do, I have a couple of the TLR-2's and use them on a variety of weapons, Glock pistols, AR, shotgun.

If it fairly quick and easy then how do I justify needing another pistol at this point?

EDCholsters
03-16-2011, 10:33
TLR-1s on sale for $85 here, best light for the money period.
http://www.ombexpress.com/p_FL779.aspx

ETA: oops, out of stock, can be had for $110 elsewhere, still a great deal IMO.

If you keep an eye on them, they go on sale pretty often. OMB is a good place to buy from, I have 2 TLR's from them. Great light for the money. (arguably the best)

malakas
03-16-2011, 10:39
Anything but the glock light, my buddy hated hit, with it in his safe it would turn on by itself sometimes and it would drain the batteries.

I like the Glock light and never had an issue with it. And the switch on mine is tight. You have to get it fully in the hard "on" detent (heh heh, I said...) anyway I think I paid in the in 80 buck range for it (no lay-zor though).

Too lazy to search for the thread but there were some reports of FTF's in Glock 40's with some aftermarket lights. Something about the unique vibrations/harmonics of that cal. and the gun flex during recoil, etc. Way above my pay grade but some have had issue with non Glock lights on Glock 40's. I haven't heard anything about any of the other cals though.

In any case I can vouche for the Glock light as being well made, bright, great ambi controls and fits like a glove. YMMV.

Tom in Arizona
03-16-2011, 10:59
If it fairly quick and easy then how do I justify needing another pistol at this point?
Why would you need to justify it?:rofl:

pknimrod
03-16-2011, 14:13
Thanks folks! I too caught that they were out of stock. I will keep my eyes open for either the Streamlight TLR-1S or maybe the insight M3. As to why on my Glock 17L , well because it has the rail! I am still of two minds about a gun mounted light but will try it. If not I will put it on my P220ST!
Peter.

teleblaster
03-16-2011, 14:40
Why would you need to justify it?:rofl:

Above a certain price point, I always need to have a need. But I'm good at finding needs.

dj_osbo
03-16-2011, 16:48
My son and I each have a Sig-Sauer STL-900L LED light/laser on our GLOCK 22 pistols, and we are really pleased with them. ****** Tactical http://www.******tactical.com/sigsasttali.html has them at a very reasonable price. Some people have reported problems when ordering from ******, but we had no problems last year.

pknimrod
03-16-2011, 17:29
DJ interesting that it has both a laser and light for a similar price. I will check it out. It does look larger however.
Thanks, Peter.
Edited to add: It looks like this Sig unit has had mixed reviews dealing with battery life and "ghosting". The ghosting is probably livable, but the battery life problems if real are not IMHO.
Peter.

dj_osbo
03-17-2011, 15:23
DJ interesting that it has both a laser and light for a similar price. I will check it out. It does look larger however.
Thanks, Peter.
Edited to add: It looks like this Sig unit has had mixed reviews dealing with battery life and "ghosting". The ghosting is probably livable, but the battery life problems if real are not IMHO.
Peter.

Our lasers have a slight "ghost" (because of the laser possing through the front clear lens), but it's not enought to be significant.

I don't have my light or laser on very much, and so I haven't seen any indication of "battery life problems." I suspect (for me) that battery life would simply be a factory of how long the battery keeps a charge during unused storage.

pknimrod
03-17-2011, 18:28
Well thanks to everyone for their help. In about 24 hours I asked a question, got some good suggestions and ordered my Streamlight TLR-1 from the on line police store link provided. Although out of stock, I "on line chatted" with them and they said they had 500 coming in, with a backorder of 355, so I placed my order! Better than sitting by EBay waiting to see if my bid was the high one. $84.99 plus shipping.
DJ I just could not take the risk with the battery life issue. It makes no sense to store the unit without the battery IMHO, but thanks very much for the tip.
Peter.

dj_osbo
03-18-2011, 06:18
DJ I just could not take the risk with the battery life issue. It makes no sense to store the unit without the battery IMHO, but thanks very much for the tip.
Peter.

I guess I wasn't clear. I don't store the unit without the battery. It's on the pistol in the bedside safe ready to be used when needed.

However, I haven't seen any indication that the light drains the battery when turned off. Therefore, since I only use the light for a few minutes when at the range, and not on a daily basis, the battery life issue appears to simply be related to the battery's shelf life.

pknimrod
03-18-2011, 06:32
DJ, I don't want to drag this out unnecessarily, but when I looked at some of the feedback on this product (which I don't believe is made by Sig) someone commented that the instructions said to store the battery separate from the unit. Anyway, the die is cast and I will have to live with my decision. I do have a Sig P220ST which would like to try my unit on as well. Thanks again.
Peter.

SGT HATRED
03-18-2011, 06:36
X300 all day...you can find used ones for about 125.00

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/2011-02-22202752.jpg

dj_osbo
03-18-2011, 07:54
DJ, I don't want to drag this out unnecessarily, but when I looked at some of the feedback on this product (which I don't believe is made by Sig) someone commented that the instructions said to store the battery separate from the unit. Anyway, the die is cast and I will have to live with my decision. I do have a Sig P220ST which would like to try my unit on as well. Thanks again.
Peter.

The instructions state, "Do not store the product with batteries installed." I think that's standard "boilerplate" language for any item containing batteries, since the batteries can eventually leak.

I don't "store" my light. I intermittently use it. I'm not worried about battery life, because over the months I have intermittently used it, I've seen no evidence of battery life problems.

pknimrod
03-22-2011, 18:45
OK I received my TLR-1S today. Now, dumb question...how do I open the battery compartment?!!! There is a plate that I have to lift up, no problem. Now, how do I open the door? It hinges upward but I don't know if I have to twist what seems to be the switch in order to do that. I don't want to force anything but it does not seem to want to open up. There seems to be a soft "plate" that is perhaps stuck together with the mating surface but, again, I don't want o wreck anything.
Any ideas? Thanks peter.

KennyFSU
03-22-2011, 18:52
OK I received my TLR-1S today. Now, dumb question...how do I open the battery compartment?!!! There is a plate that I have to lift up, no problem. Now, how do I open the door? It hinges upward but I don't know if I have to twist what seems to be the switch in order to do that. I don't want to force anything but it does not seem to want to open up. There seems to be a soft "plate" that is perhaps stuck together with the mating surface but, again, I don't want o wreck anything.
Any ideas? Thanks peter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJk-7tIlZeY

Here you go, simple and easy.

JRS
03-22-2011, 18:54
If just a light would do, no pressure switch desires, procyon. If just a light with a switch, x300. If light/laser, get a long gun IMHO.

gbhamm2
03-22-2011, 19:00
I almost tore mine apart trying to open it, watch the video.

pknimrod
03-22-2011, 19:15
Damn KenyFSU that was fast. I post a question and 7 minutes later I have the answer!!! Thanks VERY much. I had lifted up the plate, but not all the way! Seems like a very sturdy and well built mechanism.
Thanks again, Peter.

j-glock22
03-22-2011, 19:19
TLR-1 for sure and it definately will not overhang the muzzle. For a regular 17, I'd recommend the TLR-3. Great light for the $$$. I've shot with both the 1 and the 3 on two different frames and the lights hold up just fine.

pknimrod
03-22-2011, 19:49
Once I am used to it I want to try it on my Sig P220. I guess I will have to change out that little plate with one of the others that are supplied.
Peter.

Captains1911
03-22-2011, 20:21
X300 all day...you can find used ones for about 125.00

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/2011-02-22202752.jpg

As great as the X300 is, I prefer the TLR-1s on a pistol for 2 reasons:

1. With the X300, the momentary activation (which is all you really should ever use on a weapon light) is accomplished by pushing in on the toggle switch, which I find awkward. With the TLR-1s momentary on is accomplished by pushing down on the toggle switch with the support hand thumb, feels more natural for me.

2. The X300 has more throw and less spill, making it more affective at longer distances. The TLR-1s has more spill, which IMO makes it more effective at closer pistol engagement ranges.

SGT HATRED
03-22-2011, 21:05
To each their own...

RayB
03-23-2011, 15:50
As great as the X300 is, I prefer the TLR-1s on a pistol for 2 reasons:

1. With the X300, the momentary activation (which is all you really should ever use on a weapon light)

is accomplished by pushing in on the toggle switch, which I find awkward. With the TLR-1s momentary on is accomplished by pushing down on the toggle switch with the support hand thumb, feels more natural for me.

2. The X300 has more throw and less spill, making it more affective at longer distances. The TLR-1s has more spill, which IMO makes it more effective at closer pistol engagement ranges.

1) I disagree. There will be times when you'd want to keep the light on. :eyebrow:

Also, with my long fingers, I really like the push-momentary activation of my SureFire X200 A&B, and much prefer it to my Insight Procyon's flip action for the same function. But that's me! :dunno:

2) Yeah, the X300 replaces the X200A Spot Beam, and X200B Flood Beam, and attempts to blend the performance of both. This was probably a good practical decision (who wants to buy two specialized weapon lights?), and a good merchandising decision for retailers (who wants to stock two specialized weapon lights?) but I'll maintain that my X200B is still a bit better for dedicated indoor use than the X300 is.

Attached is a pic of the X300's forerunnerís performance, showing the X200A Spot Beam and the X200B Flood Beam in the same room.

I'll tell you, that X200A does have one hell of a throw for an 80-lumen light, with a lens the size of my thumbnail! I could easily tell friend or foe from 150 feet with this light, although it is lacking for indoor use... Note that the X200A could easily double as a targeting designator on a shotgun!

--Ray

KennyFSU
03-23-2011, 17:22
Very cool picture Ray, I'm going to try that with my TLR-1s as soon as it gets dark out (damn DST).