22/45 Mag Safety Mod Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 22/45 Mag Safety Mod Help

HotRoderX
03-16-2011, 16:40
:help::help::help:
Trying to do the mag safety mod on my Ruger 22/45 MK III and I am having a bit of a problem. I was wondering could anyone link to a tutorial on how to do this. I seem to be getting stuck even thought I might have a idea of what the problem was. I am using a Mark II hammer bushing.

In Case your wondering I detail striped the pistol and put the new bushing back in but then the Hammer/Trigger do no work. I think my issue might be the trigger came apart working on it now.

Thanks guys in advance..... atleast now when I go to upgrade all the guts in the thing I will know how.

HotRoderX
03-16-2011, 18:06
I got it finally it was the stupid trigger spring. I know dumb me but this was the first time I have ever really worked on a gun period. Only gun related maint. I had under my belt was field striping to clean them.

Gotta say I think Ruger MK III was very easy to field strip and even detail strip. It was my own failure to pay attention that really bit me. We live we learn I am sure.

So just a recap of what I did

Sling Shot Mod (works perfect) Allows me to pull back the bolt instead of having to hit the bolt release.
and
Magazine safety removed so now the gun can be fired with out a magazine in it. Also the gun ejects the mags out now which was main reason I wanted it done.

Very proud of my self :)

Jason D
03-17-2011, 17:52
I got it finally it was the stupid trigger spring. I know dumb me but this was the first time I have ever really worked on a gun period. Only gun related maint. I had under my belt was field striping to clean them.

Gotta say I think Ruger MK III was very easy to field strip and even detail strip. It was my own failure to pay attention that really bit me. We live we learn I am sure.

So just a recap of what I did

Sling Shot Mod (works perfect) Allows me to pull back the bolt instead of having to hit the bolt release.
and
Magazine safety removed so now the gun can be fired with out a magazine in it. Also the gun ejects the mags out now which was main reason I wanted it done.

Very proud of my self :)

I am glad you got it figured out.
My problem with the install on my MKIII stemmed from the magazine disconnect spring. At the time I installed the VQ kit I had not had a MKII bushing yet.

It took several very frustrating attempts before I realized the spring's tail went down in the magazine well.

I am not familiar with the sling shot mod.
Could you not pull the bolt back to the rear to release it before?

HotRoderX
03-17-2011, 18:39
You couldn't just pull it back and release to close the bolt you had to hit the bolt stop button. To me it was a pain in the butt I much prefer to grabbing it pulling it back like my glock. It was a small spring on the inside of the bolt release I had to remove it was not hard at all.

Could you just pull back on your bolt to release it?

98_1LE
03-17-2011, 18:42
I have 3 or 4 mag disconnects in a drawer. Been thinking about mailing them back to Ruger. Anyone want to organize a "mail back" to let Ruger know we hate these things?

HotRoderX
03-17-2011, 18:59
I have 3 or 4 mag disconnects in a drawer. Been thinking about mailing them back to Ruger. Anyone want to organize a "mail back" to let Ruger know we hate these things?

LOL I think Ruger already knows I am sure the people who test fire them complain also. Sadly to sell them in California they need all the extra safety crap the MK II didn't have. I have a bad feeling in my gut we might start seeing more and more manufactures start putting the mag safety in thanks to California...

mteagle1
03-17-2011, 19:32
Also Bill Ruger was a leader in the 10 round mag limit in the old gun ban bill because the Ruger Mark I & II only held 10 rounds.

HotRoderX
03-17-2011, 19:50
Also Bill Ruger was a leader in the 10 round mag limit in the old gun ban bill because the Ruger Mark I & II only held 10 rounds.

I forgot all about the 10 round mag limit in cali... I also didn't know that Ruger helped sponsor that kinda makes me feel dirty owning one of there hand guns now lol. At least the 10round mag limit isn't something we will see happen everywhere unless the government steps in.

98_1LE
03-17-2011, 21:04
I buy my Ruger's used, so it is ok. ;)

Jason D
03-18-2011, 16:05
You couldn't just pull it back and release to close the bolt you had to hit the bolt stop button. To me it was a pain in the butt I much prefer to grabbing it pulling it back like my glock. It was a small spring on the inside of the bolt release I had to remove it was not hard at all.

Could you just pull back on your bolt to release it?

You could pull the bolt back and release it just like normal on my MKIII that I bought new last year.

HotRoderX
03-18-2011, 16:55
You could pull the bolt back and release it just like normal on my MKIII that I bought new last year.

That's lucky wish mine was like that :crying: I used the bellow to mod mine to allow the slide to be pulled back. It was'nt hard at all took like 1-2mins extra time to do it.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm#ssmod

Jason D
03-18-2011, 17:19
That's lucky wish mine was like that :crying: I used the bellow to mod mine to allow the slide to be pulled back. It was'nt hard at all took like 1-2mins extra time to do it.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm#ssmod

That's weird as hell.
I had never heard of that before, and I have been though my MKIII pistol several times. This must only be something with the .22/45.

I have an older .22/45 that you can pull the bolt fully to the rear as well.
It was made long before the MKIII guns were ever conceived of though.