Help! Spring Kit Issues on Springfield Operator [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help! Spring Kit Issues on Springfield Operator

plane
03-16-2011, 18:56
Hello,

I have about 2000 rounds in my Springfield Operator. I dissassembled it after the last time at the range and found out that the firing pin spring was broken in two places. I ordered a new spring kit from Wilson Combat (316G) and installed everything except the mainspring. I could NOT get it to fit. I was also having an issue with the hammer falling to half-cock when the slide was released. I called Wilson and they said to check the sear spring again and that the mainspring WILL work, even though it's longer, and it's just really tough to get in. Well I got it in using some channel locks, and it worked, but the hammer would not cock after that. I ended up putting the old spring back in, but I am still having an issue with the hammer falling to half cock on slide release.

I cannot understand why this spring is longer. In the mainspring housing there are two "cups" and maybe the mainspring wasn't designed for that? I don't know.. But Wilson said everything should drop in fine.

Do I really even need to replace all of this? Can I just drop in the new firing pin spring and leave it be? I am iffy about my gun now and don't trust it 100%. I plan on hitting the range again once I work out these little details and break it in and be comfortable again with it. It has never failed me before, even with a broken firing pin spring.

Quack
03-16-2011, 19:01
Springfield uses the ILS system which has a taller MS cap and a shorter/stiffer spring.
Get a new MS cap and cap retaining pin to use the standard mainspring.

As for the hammer falling when releasing the slide, that would be due to you sear spring tension.
Do you know if it's trigger bounce causing the hammer to fall?

skipsan
03-16-2011, 19:02
It is mandatory that a 1911-std main spring cap be used if the OEM mainspring is replaced with anything other than an OEM spring. It just wont work. The rplacement springs are different lengh and need a cap that accomodates the different lengh.

Glockdude1
03-16-2011, 19:03
If all else fails, give Springfield a call.

:cool:

plane
03-16-2011, 19:04
Springfield uses the ILS system which has a taller MS cap and a shorter/stiffer spring.
Get a new MS cap and cap retaining pin to use the standard mainspring.

As for the hammer falling when releasing the slide, that would be due to you sear spring tension.
Do you know if it's trigger bounce causing the hammer to fall?

It would make sense, because it only falls when my hand is pressed on the beavertail safety. But I am not sure. It never happened before that I know of.

Is there a simple way to fix it? I am unsure of any reliable gunsmiths in my area

plane
03-16-2011, 19:05
It is mandatory that a 1911-std main spring cap be used if the OEM mainspring is replaced with anything other than an OEM spring. It just wont work. The rplacement springs are different lengh and need a cap that accomodates the different lengh.

That's disappointing that Wilson Combat couldn't tell me that... :whistling:

Thanks, though! Now I regret forcing it to fit.... Hope I didn't mess anything up.

What is the recommended interval to change your springs? I went ahead with the full kit because I figured after about 2k rounds and a broken firing pin spring it's about time.

Quack
03-16-2011, 19:06
Lightly bend the center leaf towards the front of the gun

Quack
03-16-2011, 19:07
That's disappointing that Wilson Combat couldn't tell me that... :whistling:

Thanks, though!

What is the recommended interval to change your springs? I went ahead with the full kit because I figured after about 2k rounds and a broken firing pin spring it's about time.

The only spring that should need to be changed is the recoil spring

plane
03-16-2011, 19:26
Lightly bend the center leaf towards the front of the gun

Perfect!! Works like a charm now. Well, I suppose my Operator has all new springs now except mainspring. Guess it can't hurt!

Thank you.

Quack
03-16-2011, 19:31
yep, no problem.

skipsan
03-16-2011, 19:33
The folks at Wilson had their head up and locked on this one, as your experience is quite common. Suggest you buy a "pin kit" which has one each of all or most of the pins used in a 1911. Cost os just a few bucks. Don't overlook the little tiny mainspring cap retention pin which goes into the msh from the backside, and locks the spring/cap assembly in the housing so you can put it in as a subassembly without launching bits all over the place.

As for replacing the mainspring-- how about never? The recoil spring could probably use replacement after a couple thousand rounds or more, but as long as the ejection process is working properly, things are probably OK.

Quack
03-16-2011, 19:38
http://10-8performance.com/Reliability_Round_Counts.html

MajorD
03-17-2011, 09:57
changing out all springs at 2k is WAY overkill. I'd go the firing pin spring and recoil spring no more often than 5k. As a tribute to the 1911 design the gun worked fine with the broken fp spring right?
the 1911 rep for great function was built on usgi guns that never had spring schedules. While I understand we have evolved people make WAY too much of changing springs. other than the recoil and fp spring only change out other stuff if a problem creeps up- so far my les baer is well over 50k with only firing pin and recoil spring replacment -once. Not because there was an issue but the internet gremlins started getting to me to replace them. I DO respect the opinion of someone like H.Yam on how to care for a 1911, but there is a big difference in a 1911 used daily for police service and my range 1911 that will rarely if ever be my daily carry. Also since you had issues with replacement it is not always a good idea to take what works in a defensive (or any gun for that matter) and try to "fix" it