Killing animals with mates or offspring [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Killing animals with mates or offspring

emt1581
03-16-2011, 21:20
I love duck and I can eat goose, but both are examples of animals with mates. I'm wondering if/how you kill animals that have either mates or offspring with them? I mean I'd expect the offspring would die and the mate would be lonely or screwed up after the other half no longer is with them.

What are your thoughts on the issue?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

duncan
03-17-2011, 02:54
If your state's hunting laws permit multiple tags, take both if possible.

That way no one is widowed.

sourdough44
03-17-2011, 15:39
Most hunting is in the Fall or later, young of the year can make it on their own. If it's a 'varmint' or pest I'd take em all. In the few spring hunts it's the males targeted, gobblers & bears. A mother with cubs can never be legally taken. That said we try taking a fawnless doe in the fall, a lone goose etc.. For the most part mother nature is much more cruel than a hunter's bullet. I've seen trails in the snow as a deer crawled best it was able as coyotes ate the rear. At the end of the 75 yrd path was more blood & a little hair.

Of course the easiest way out is to just go to the store & buy a package of chops.

noway
03-17-2011, 18:15
Same here, spotted fawns are a no-no

Hogs, I could careless ( they will surive or a foster mom will pickup the piglets )

Duck, the same I could care less, if I get a drake and not a hen, I guess she can find another mate sooner or latter, duckling are born outside of the hunting seasons

Doves, don't care, never thought about them at all, it's bam bam bam bam and bam bam ! ;)

Quail don't care, look at them as the same as dove

Squirrels I could care less about mates, or offsprings or anything else

Raccoons are bam bam bam. Big ones, medium size or little ones ;) One year I took out a whole slew of coons with about 4 12ga shells. No widow or orphans in that bunch ;)

Turkeys as long as they legal and like ducks, the offsprings are typically born outside of the hunting seasons for this species

If you think about it, most game animals (births) are taken outside of the birth-months or times when the game is not in seasons, this gives the animal parents, enough time to nurse/wean the offspring and then let it free to be on it own to live or die.

Remember wild animals are not like a human and need 10-26months to walk, talk and to **** on the potty or to survive on it's own.

Most animals offsprings learns the necessity of life in a quick time and the strong will survive.

jdavionic
03-17-2011, 18:27
I used to care about these matters. However I started to listen closely, instead of taking the shot. I routinely heard the female mate chattering in some manner at the male, or the screaming annoyance of their young. At that moment, I finally understood another meaning of a humane kill. Since then, I've noticed the male animals actually die smiling.

BikerRN45
03-18-2011, 03:55
I used to care about these matters. However I started to listen closely, instead of taking the shot. I routinely heard the female mate chattering in some manner at the male, or the screaming annoyance of their young. At that moment, I finally understood another meaning of a humane kill. Since then, I've noticed the male animals actually die smiling.

That has got to be one of the most hilarious post I've ever read. :rofl:

nyredneck
03-19-2011, 06:08
:rofl::rofl:

CanyonMan
03-19-2011, 09:03
Same here, spotted fawns are a no-no

Hogs, I could careless ( they will surive or a foster mom will pickup the piglets )

Duck, the same I could care less, if I get a drake and not a hen, I guess she can find another mate sooner or latter, duckling are born outside of the hunting seasons

Doves, don't care never thought about them at all, it's bam bam bam bam and bam bam ! ;)

Quail don't care, look at them as the same as dove

Squirrels I could care less about mates, or offsprings or anything else

Raccoons are bam bam bam. Big ones, medium size or little ones ;) One year I took out a whole slew of coons with about 4 12ga shells. No widow or orphans in that bunch ;)

Turkeys as long as they legal and like ducks, the offsprings are typically born outside of the hunting seasons for this species

If you think about it, most game animals (births) are taken outside of the birth-months or times when the game is not in seasons, this gives the animal parents, enough time to nurse/wean the offspring and then let it free to be on it own to live or die.

Remember wild animals are not like a human and need 10-26months to walk, talk and to **** on the potty or to survive on it's own.

Most animals offsprings learns the necessity of life in a quick time and the strong will survive.

:rofl:

Noway, man, I got up this morning and saw this, and you made my day amigo ! haha

I highlighted my favorite places... haha.

I agree BTW from Top to bottom. But man I sure hope your never around when me and the wife go for a stroll in the woods. :scared:

Bam Bam Bam ! :wow:

Good post amigo. And it did make me laugh this mornin. I needed that !

Good turkey huntin to ya !

CM

noway
03-19-2011, 17:15
Yeah, I think we should care, but if we are the types of being teary eyed on hunting..... will we should not hunt imho

In all of my life hunting, I never once considered that a animal has a parent, potentila offsprings, bother/sisters or uncle/aunts :wavey:

Yes this was funny :rofl:

In reality most males are out of the children uprising after birth, this includes most birds or fur animals. I guess they are the smart ones.

CanyonMan
03-19-2011, 23:36
Yeah, I think we should care, but if we are the types of being teary eyed on hunting..... will we should not hunt imho

In all of my life hunting, I never once considered that a animal has a parent, potentila offsprings, bother/sisters or uncle/aunts :wavey:

Yes this was funny :rofl:

In reality most males are out of the children uprising after birth, this includes most birds or fur animals. I guess they are the smart ones.

Hey amigo.. When my daughter was real little, and I would just get ready to step out the back door and walk into the woods and "get some meat" for the freezer, she would look at me real sad and say.. " Are you really going to kill Bambi's Dad " ? :crying:

Man, talk about thoughts in your mind ! :faint:

Never stopped me, and she sure enjoyed growing up on a ranch and eating all the beef and wild game on the table in front of her ! Sure glad shes grown now though. That was kinda getting to me. :rofl:

Again. Good luck on your turkey this year my friend.

CM

Usingmyrights
03-22-2011, 20:16
my g/f who has a farm and raises chickens to sell/for eggs (had over 200 at one point) sets traps for nuisance animals as needed. She once actually turned a fox lose (they're the usual offenders), because it was lactating and she didn't want to take it from the babies. Still trying to figure that one out

CC Glock
03-24-2011, 12:29
Man if a doe has twin bucks or something like that in the fall I TRY to kill her. If not she will run them off before they get too old. By doing this your taking out does, which is needed, and increasing bucks. Our doe to buck is like 8 or 9 to 1

finz50
03-29-2011, 18:34
My first deer I ever took was a doe with triplets walking with her....shot her dead with a heart/double lung shot....babies punched out. Asked that question to the landowner and he said it's not a big deal, that some other doe would take care of them....

TxGun
03-30-2011, 18:53
I'm a big time hunter and have been for 40 years. I feel it's unethical to kill females with offspring, unless we're talking about those animals widely classified and accepted as "vermin". Unless some sort of "special circumstances" exist, any female game animal or furbearing animal with offspring would definitely be passed up by the ethical hunter, IMO. Otherwise, you are injecting an unnecessary element of cruelty into the sport, plus, and maybe more importantly, you are compromising the future of your local hunting opportunities by destroying the next generation. JMOs. I'll say this...something like that is not allowed on our ranch. You'd be gone immediately if caught. Luckily, the hunters leasing from us have been with us for years and they all feel the same way...which is why they have the priviledges they do.

noway
03-31-2011, 01:02
For those concerned on or overs fawns, they can eat veggies within 2-3weeks or after the milk teeth, and can be weaned off moms milk in 6-9weeks. So what that means, they depend on mom's supplied food for maybe 1.-2.5months (give to take)

As far as what's ethical, that's up to you. If you state allows you to take it and it's legal, then that's alright by my books. Keep in mind most fawns dies in the early parts of it's years, and 35% or less dies before 1year of age. If it doesn't have spots nor weights 8lbs :tongueout:, then it good to go in my book.

My first deer I ever took was a doe with triplets walking with her....shot her dead with a heart/double lung shot....babies punched out. Asked that question to the landowner and he said it's not a big deal, that some other doe would take care of them....

triplets are rare, kinda like less than 10% of fawns born are triples, I never seen triples in my life, but know of others that have. Very :cool: imho

On the latter part, I highly doubt a another nursing doe wil take on 3 more mouths on the teats or become surrogate moms like what hogs typically do. A nursing mom first concern is her own flesh & blood 1st.

If the three triples where not nursing and off mom's milk, they would probably stick together until they seperate or killed.

to each, his own