Teach me... Gold bead sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Teach me... Gold bead sights

Texas Bulldog
03-18-2011, 16:59
I hear great things about them, and some amazing custom's ive seen have them.

I don't know anyone personally who runs them so i can't try before i buy. A Springfield that ive been carrying more often lately has black/black's and I was thinking of using some XS Big Dots but im thinking i may try the Gold Bead sights for a change.

I hear the gold reflects TONS of light and i like the fact that its not so common. overall its just one of those "WHy Not" decisions.

Does anyone have a recommendation on brand and style?

I can't remember brand but there was one i saw where it was just a gold stripe and not a dot/bead, how well would something like that work?

Thanks!

nastytrigger
03-18-2011, 17:06
I like the idea too. Maybe when my tritium vials fade a little more...

Quack
03-18-2011, 17:29
I hear great things about them, and some amazing custom's ive seen have them.

I don't know anyone personally who runs them so i can't try before i buy. A Springfield that ive been carrying more often lately has black/black's and I was thinking of using some XS Big Dots but im thinking i may try the Gold Bead sights for a change.

I hear the gold reflects TONS of light and i like the fact that its not so common. overall its just one of those "WHy Not" decisions.

Does anyone have a recommendation on brand and style?

I can't remember brand but there was one i saw where it was just a gold stripe and not a dot/bead, how well would something like that work?

Thanks!

I've been wanting to try them, but just haven't gotten around to it. might do it on my Brown first.

the stipe would be Heirloom Precision.

AFAIK, there are no ready made gold bead sights for the Springfields.

polizei1
03-18-2011, 17:35
I've wondered what the fascination is also. They are bright, so I'm assuming they make great target sights. However, since my only 1911 is my carry 1911, I'm going to stick to my Trijicon night-sight for the front, that way if I happen to need it at night, I'll easily be able to pick it up. I have zero experience, but I don't know how well a gold bead would do.

Otherwise, like I said, it probably makes a great target sight. I'm sure the gold on black is very easy to pickup.

Quack
03-18-2011, 17:44
I've wondered what the fascination is also. They are bright, so I'm assuming they make great target sights. However, since my only 1911 is my carry 1911, I'm going to stick to my Trijicon night-sight for the front, that way if I happen to need it at night, I'll easily be able to pick it up. I have zero experience, but I don't know how well a gold bead would do.

Otherwise, like I said, it probably makes a great target sight. I'm sure the gold on black is very easy to pickup.

my take is (and you can try this for yourself) that nightsights work well in complete darkness. with a gold bead, and ambient light will make it visible. In bright light, you can't see the tritium dot, where as the gold bead will be visible. also think of if you have to shoot in the dark, you need to identify the target. if it's in complete darkness, you will still need a flashlight to identify the threat. I've practice going from the master bedroom to my son's room, and while i can see my tritium front sight in complete darkness, the dot disappears when i light up the area that i'm aiming at. you can also try this at the range if you can turn of your stalls light.

Jim S.
03-18-2011, 17:47
They contrast with dark backround colors. They are not what I consider bright.
They do nothing special in low light conditions.
if your going to try a set you should get the brass ball first as it is much cheaper than an actual gold bead and not any different in what it does.

skipsan
03-18-2011, 17:52
Ive had gold beads installed on several 1911s. In all but one case, the smith installed the bead in the existing front sight--drilling a hole in the post to accomodate the tennon on the bead. I have hemispherical and flat beads, and don't reallY have a preference. Its true, they don't work at all in complete darkeness. If you have a need to shoot in complete darkness without being able to identify your target then you're probably gonna need a lawyer in addition to the gold bead.

One note of caution: my smith installed the beads with the top of the bead flush with the top of the post. That's where I think it oughta be. My single exception to the local smith instal, was a factory job from a promenent (and expensive) mfgr. With no instruction from me (my bad), he installed the bead a third of the way down the post which really screws up aimed fire for this shooter. The mfgr insists that the bead is in the correct place. Maybe for the professional operator/shootist, but a pita for me. My point is, if you go for the bead, decide where you want it on the post and instruct the installer accordingly.

Quack
03-18-2011, 18:06
just looked back at this past thursday's 10-8 newsletter, which he announce his fiber optic sights. later in the article he had this:

Plain Black:
This is the old standby, and is fantastic for target and competition shooting. Shooters with young eyes (that used to be me) can do very well with an all black sight set. The main downside to this is a lack of additional contrast with backgrounds of mixed lighting or coloration, as well as no low light capability. This is a daytime only sight option, and a pistol with all black sights will need to be used in conjunction with a white light for any type of low light shooting, regardless of target identification requirements.

Tritium:
What started as a weird novelty back in the 80's has now become nearly standard on factory pistols. Tritium offers the ability to align the sights in low/no light, and the insert provides some visual contrast to help quickly align the sights in daylight. Our tritium sights do not feature the white painted outline, as it is not possible to inlay the ring of paint on a serrated blade. Tritium has a maximum service life of about 10 years, so you will need to replace the sights after they start to dim. While the tritium does allow you to align the sights in total darkness, LE and CCW users are still required to identify their threat with white light. As such, the tritium inserts are typically washed out by the white light and sights generally appear more or less black. We do not offer tritium in the rear sight, and with just a little practice, the single tritium insert aligns just as intuitively in the dark as it does in the daytime.

Brass Bead:
Our take on the popular McGivern gold bead sight, but more cost effective. The brass bead catches light nicely in the daylight, and as long as there is some ambient light, it still provides enough contrast to pick out the front sight. In low light, it still needs to be used in conjunction with a white light. This has proven to be an extremely popular option, and is equally at home on a modern duty pistol as it is on a classically styled 1911.

Fiber Optic:
No sight is as visible in the daylight, and older eyes will benefit from the super high visibility. The brighter the sun is, the better this sight works. It will not wash out in extremely bright conditions, and excels at this end of the lighting spectrum. Fiber optics are my personal favorite in the sighting systems, with the intuitive alignment of the U notch rear, it almost makes it like shooting a red dot optic on a carbine. The red dot really jumps out at you, no matter how busy the target area may be. In low light, this sight becomes black sooner than the brass bead sight. It of course needs to be used in conjunction with white light, but otherwise provides no other unique issues in low light over the other designs.

samuse
03-18-2011, 18:35
I have a couple of gold beads on my 1911s and they don't do much. They do reflct a little extra light in dim conditions if the light is behind you.

They get on my nerves when shooting matches, the cardboard targets and the gold sight kinda wash together.

I think fiber optic is better than gold. Black serrated is my favorite.

Springfield's Custom shop will install a very nice gold bead front. This is one of theirs.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/Springer/005.jpg?t=1300494880

R0CKETMAN
03-18-2011, 18:48
Maybe on a range pistol, but I prefer Tritium front for carry.

bac1023
03-18-2011, 18:54
I like them quite a bit.

Jason D
03-18-2011, 19:52
Originally called the Call sight, it was more often associated with Ed McGivern.
Charles Call was a S&W employee that came up with the sight in the 1920's.

The Call sight differed from the McGivern only in that the gold bead was a flat circular gold disk, while the McGivern was more concave.
The Call sight predated the McGivern.

Texas Bulldog
03-18-2011, 21:09
Some great information here!... Thanks everyone.

Hearing some real world experiences is making me give it second thoughts but i'll probably dedicate 1 to doing it that way just to try it and have my own opinion.

i didn't really consider shooting the Cardboard targets and having it blend but that makes perfect sense.

Hmmm.....

I saw some sights once that really REALLY caught my attention but i don't think they are massed produced.

I think this with a gold ring would be ideal! Tritium inside.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2uzco6q.jpg

20South
03-18-2011, 21:11
Some great information here!... Thanks everyone.

Hearing some real world experiences is making me give it second thoughts but i'll probably dedicate 1 to doing it that way just to try it and have my own opinion.

i didn't really consider shooting the Cardboard targets and having it blend but that makes perfect sense.

Hmmm.....

I saw some sights once that really REALLY caught my attention but i don't think they are massed produced.

Hurry up and call your patent attorney!

GJ1981
03-18-2011, 21:49

That looks like a Ned Christensen build, so throw the mass produced chance out the window.

The gold bead/tritium is a good idea, I'm going to search for someone do just that.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2ykkyro.jpg

DLL9mm
03-19-2011, 05:14
I fired the Wiley Clapp Colt Commander a few weeks back and it had one installed. I really liked it. I am trying to find a stake on front with the gold/brass bead for my Commander.

PlasticGuy
03-19-2011, 07:51
I've got a gold line on the front sight of my Yost Signature, and I love it. The stripe stands out if there's enough light to see anything. It's nearly as visible at night as tritium, and much better during the day.

I don't consider it an elitist option at all. Price isn't any more than many of the tritium sights.

MD357
03-19-2011, 09:36
That looks like a Ned Christensen build, so throw the mass produced chance out the window.

Looks more like a Stan Chen gun? If so he has his ammo in the background aswell.

GJ1981
03-19-2011, 09:44
Looks more like a Stan Chen gun? If so he has his ammo in the background aswell.

I found the link, it is a Ned build. Lots of the LTW guys use Stan's new ammo in their shots, helps advertise.

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8466

Cerebrus
03-19-2011, 09:55
God but I love Ned's work.. those conamyds are beautiful.. too bad he is only doing full blown builds...:crying:

MD357
03-19-2011, 10:34
I found the link, it is a Ned build. Lots of the LTW guys use Stan's new ammo in their shots, helps advertise.

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8466

Wow, I need to do more than browse the classifieds over there. Incredible build.

bac1023
03-19-2011, 12:08
Here's the gold bead on my PD. Sorry its not a better pic of the front sight.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_4507.jpg

Texas Bulldog
03-19-2011, 13:54
I know all eyes are different but do you like the sight picture of the Gold bead?

JOe

Here's the gold bead on my PD. Sorry its not a better pic of the front sight.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_4507.jpg

Texas Bulldog
03-19-2011, 13:55
Wow, I need to do more than browse the classifieds over there. Incredible build.

I LOVE that forum. Just when you think its all been done before, you open that forum and BAM! something totally new ready to blow your mind

G27RR
03-19-2011, 19:36
http://www.10-8performance.com/store/index.php?cPath=24_29

ETA - not for Springfield, though.

Quack
03-19-2011, 19:40
http://www.10-8performance.com/store/index.php?cPath=24_29

Those aren't for Springfield's front dovetail and I don't think he has the correct heights to match the factory rear.

bac1023
03-19-2011, 19:40
I know all eyes are different but do you like the sight picture of the Gold bead?

JOe

Yeah, I do.

I also like the gold line on my Heirloom Precision Retro.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_3872.jpg

G27RR
03-19-2011, 19:43
Those aren't for Springfield's front dovetail and he doesn't have the correct heights to match the factory rear.

Forgot we were talking springfield on this one, oops.... :shocked:

cessnastud
03-19-2011, 21:06
I'm not a fan of the gold/brass bead. While it does provide nice contrast, I find that light and glare from the convex surface can be distracting. That being said, Heirloom's gold line is very nice.

Texas Bulldog
03-20-2011, 18:01
I'm not a fan of the gold/brass bead. While it does provide nice contrast, I find that light and glare from the convex surface can be distracting. That being said, Heirloom's gold line is very nice.

Thanks, and that may be a very good point... the convex surface and all.

The gold stripe on the Heirloom, is it literally a paint? or is it a true gold? Is it something i could figure out how to do myself?

Say i mix a clear coat and some very fine gold dust, could i produce my own stripe?

JOe

OVERTHEHILLGUY
03-20-2011, 18:03
:dunno:I don't know why, but when I had one on my S&W 629 I couldn't miss!:dunno:

awoodpd13
11-17-2011, 08:37
...a factory job from a promenent (and expensive) mfgr...

Who was the prominent mfgr, please? PM me if you prefer! Thanks!