So where do you shoot? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So where do you shoot?

Hokie1911
03-18-2011, 18:53
Mrs Hokie asked if I would like a range membership for my bday. There is a range by my house. It's a small private club about 5-10 min away. $50 initiation fee, $80 year, $3/range trip. Normally, I shoot at a public range ($14/hr) about 30 min away. Right now, I shoot about once a month, 150-200 rounds (9mm previously) when I go. Joining the club would be beneficial since it's closer and cheaper per trip, plus the do IDPA which would be fun to start doing. I would probaby go every other week...

...which brings me to my second decision. If I start going 2x per month, the ammo cost will increase. I am considering picking up an EMP9 this summer to alternate EDC with the Kobra Carry, and be able to shoot more at the range. The other choice would be to get a reloading setup (for significantly less than the EMP) and just shoot .45, which from what I can tell, is about the cost of 9mm factory ammo when you roll your own.

How many of you 1.) are members of a range, 2.) if so, how often do you shoot? and 3.) do you reload or shoot more of a cheaper caliber at the range?

Thanks for the input gents. :supergrin:

carguy2244
03-18-2011, 19:10
Yes, we have a family range membership.

We shoot 8 times monthly, but not always at our range.

We reload 9mm and 10mm on a Dillon Square Deal. The savings are huge.

Two_Clicks
03-18-2011, 19:17
I shoot at a state range $24 for an annual pass about 30 mins away.

Brianharless13
03-18-2011, 19:21
5 minutes from an indoor range at $10 per hour. Little over 5 minutes to the Isaac Walton League. Location, location, location. :) Ike's is a little salty but may rejoin this year?

GJ1981
03-18-2011, 19:25
I'd recommend the reloader over another pistol. A Dillon 550 is where I'd start.

I belong to a club, $75 yearly, 24/7 access. I go a minimum of once a week with 150-250 rounds on average. I reload, costs me about $160-170 for 1000 45 acps.

I have a buddy with a bunch of land that I go to when I can. That's where I go for practical scenarios outside of a booth.

rsxr22
03-18-2011, 19:26
I belong to 3 clubs, 2 have private indoor facilities, no charge to shoot at. I shoot about once or twice a week when our show schedule is slower. And HELL YES I reload, Im running some 200gr LSWC right now on the dillion. Ive got 4k loaded and working on another 2-3k(Trying to get geared up for the competition season so I can just shoot) and I shoot a mixture of 9mm and .45 at the range. Im reloading lead 9mm for about the same price as a box of CCI mini mags at retail, so no sense for a .22. If your interesting in some rounds, just let me know, while i have the progressive setup for .45. I have 200 gr SWC, 230 lead RN, 230 jacketed Berry's

rsxr22
03-18-2011, 19:27
I'd recommend the reloader over another pistol. A Dillon 550 is where I'd start.

I belong to a club, $75 yearly, 24/7 access. I go a minimum of once a week with 150-250 rounds on average. I reload, costs me about $160-170 for 1000 45 acps.

I have a buddy with a bunch of land that I go to when I can. That's where I go for practical scenarios outside of a booth.

650 is where its at!!!

rsxr22
03-18-2011, 19:28
Mrs Hokie asked if I would like a range membership for my bday. There is a range by my house. It's a small private club about 5-10 min away. $50 initiation fee, $80 year, $3/range trip. Normally, I shoot at a public range ($14/hr) about 30 min away. Right now, I shoot about once a month, 150-200 rounds (9mm previously) when I go. Joining the club would be beneficial since it's closer and cheaper per trip, plus the do IDPA which would be fun to start doing. I would probaby go every other week...

...which brings me to my second decision. If I start going 2x per month, the ammo cost will increase. I am considering picking up an EMP9 this summer to alternate EDC with the Kobra Carry, and be able to shoot more at the range. The other choice would be to get a reloading setup (for significantly less than the EMP) and just shoot .45, which from what I can tell, is about the cost of 9mm factory ammo when you roll your own.

How many of you 1.) are members of a range, 2.) if so, how often do you shoot? and 3.) do you reload or shoot more of a cheaper caliber at the range?

If the wifey says its ok, We have an IDPA match tomorrow around me. Just bring yourself. Ill provide the gear and gun of your choice.

GJ1981
03-18-2011, 19:29
650 is where its at!!!

Which is why I'm buying one solely for 45, but without a casefeeder, I wouldn't get one. I'm going to use my 550 for 9mm and 223. The 650 will make my life easier.

rsxr22
03-18-2011, 19:32
the 650 rocks out 9mm, 40, and .45. I like our 1050 for .223

No casefeeder??? Gotta have that. Im getting the auto bullet seater to for ours, I heard they work awesome.

drc767
03-18-2011, 19:35
I have a range set up behind my house, and also shoot at an indoor range for free, but it is about 40 miles away. As far as reloading, it does reduce ammo costs. If you are going to load for one or two calibers, the Dillon Square Deal B is pretty tough to beat. I only reload for .38 Super and the SDB came from Dillon set up to load out of the box.

GJ1981
03-18-2011, 19:38
No casefeeder??? Gotta have that. Im getting the auto bullet seater to for ours, I heard they work awesome.

That's what I meant, without a casefeeder I wouldn't buy a 650. I'm placing an order with Brian Enos' forum for the Dillon. I would love the 1050 for rifle, but I only shoot 2-3K through my AR's a year. Just not worth it.

21Carrier
03-18-2011, 19:40
I highly recommend reloading, and joining a range. Since joining a range, I shoot WAY more. A good friend of mine let me borrow his Dillon 550 (about 20 years old) until I decide to plunge into the world of reloading and buy a press. It took me five minutes to confirm the decision. I cleaned and set it up for reloading .45 ACP, and went to a local gun store and bought some bullets, powder, and primers. The press hadn't been touched in 5+ years, so I took it apart and cleaned it. It works flawlessly. I highly recommend it.

If you like working on cars, or building things, or basically doing anything with your own two hands, you will love reloading. Using once-fired factory brass that I had picked up from the last 3 months in anticipation of reloading, I have saved a good bit. Even buying the supplies locally in small amounts as opposed to the internet in bulk still equates to large savings. I spent $50 on bullets, $21 on powder, and $13 on primers. I will get about 500 bullets out of these supplies for $84. The cheapest .45 ACP I can find locally is $15.99 per 50 for Winchester White Box (3 box limit) or $12.99/50rds. of Zero reloads (also 3 box limit). Five hundred rounds would be $159.90 or $129.90, respectively. Now imagine my savings if I had bought in bulk online.

Hokie1911
03-18-2011, 19:40
I have a range set up behind my house, and also shoot at an indoor range for free, but it is about 40 miles away. As far as reloading, it does reduce ammo costs. If you are going to load for one or two calibers, the Dillon Square Deal B is pretty tough to beat. I only reload for .38 Super and the SDB came from Dillon set up to load out of the box.

I would only be loading .45.

I love your setup at home. Cote Mountain is A-W-E-S-O-M-E. :supergrin:

Jason D
03-18-2011, 19:42
Private range.
Though I can shoot in my backyard if I wish.

Greyhoundman
03-18-2011, 19:45
I shoot weekly sometimes more at my local indoor range annual membership is $300, 10 min away. I typically go through 3-400 rounds of .45, then depending on which other guns I take either 100 0f .357 mag or .44 mag, 100-150 .223 and IF i do a little Trap/ skeet 100-200 12ga (outdoor obviously). I reload .45, .357, .44, and .223 on a Dillon 550 and am thinking about getting a 650 dedicated to .45 with a case feeder.....anybody got a 650 for sale?

wrx04
03-18-2011, 19:45
I am a member at a local indoor range.....costs about $300 for the year with unlimited range use. Dont necessarily like the indoor range all the time, but its close (outdoor range is >40min).

As for the reloader.....DEFINITELY. It may seem a little intimidating at first, but is very easy once you learn it and lets you shoot way more often. I have a Dillon 550 and love it. If i had to do it again, i would probably have gotten the 650 with the casefeeder, but the 550 is great.

drc767
03-18-2011, 19:48
I would only be loading .45.

I love your setup at home. Cote Mountain is A-W-E-S-O-M-E. :supergrin:

If you are loading one caliber, I personally believe the Square Deal B is the ticket. Unpack it, set it up, mount it, set your powder charge, set your OAL for your load and you are pumping out rounds. It is really a simple deal and will get you reloading for under $500 (for the Dillon). Make sure you get a quality digital scale and a digital caliper. You will also want to invest in a Chrono so you can work up your loads to where you want them.

lawdog734
03-18-2011, 19:52
I belong to an outdoor range in Sandusky, go about 2 months. I am planning on reloading this summer

TKR Reptiles
03-18-2011, 19:56
There are two local ranges I go to. Whichever one just depends on how I am feeling that day. It is like 10 bux for a range pass.

SPRSkip
03-18-2011, 20:18
Personal range on land behind house. adding more of a berm and steel targets now. New to reloading but I am hooked with one new problem with .40 S&W but thats another story. I love being able to work up a load and step out back and crony and bench rest test it then go back in and run another alternate batch

GioaJack
03-18-2011, 20:19
If not kept under control loading can become a very addicting endeavor indeed. I started some 48 years ago loading .38's and .45's on and Ideal/Lyman tong tool. Over time things have multiplied at a rate that would make rabbits jealous.

Although over the years I've sold or traded equipment, 2 Star loaders and other miscellaneous things) I currently use 2 Dillon 1050, Dillon 550. Dillon Square Deal, 2 Hornady Lock N Loads AP with case feeders, one with bullet feeder, Co-Ax single stage, Rockchucker single stage and 2 MEC 650's, 12 gauge hydraulic and a 20 gauge.

Part of my loading room is set up for casting and I spent the last couple cold and snowy months casting between 50 and 60 thousand bullets in a variety of calibers and weights see myself, my son-in-law and grandson through the upcoming season.

Is loading for everybody? No, definitely not. If however you shoot more than a few hundred rounds a month there is a loading set up that will pay for itself in short order. If,however, your goal is to save money you will end up being disappointed... you'll spend the same as you do on factory but you'll shoot three times, (or more) as much with more reliable and accurate ammunition.

Those who cast can easily load 50 .45's for less than $2.50 and 9mm's for a few cents less. Other calibers realize comparable savings.

For those of you who have considered loading or would simply like to learn a bit more about it we invite you to come on down to the reloading forum and lurk. Just like you guys up here we tend to have a very good time.

(Although I spend a fair amount of time lurking on here everyday and carried 1911's for many years I'm pretty much old school and have absolutely nothing to add when it comes to the newer models and modifications... most of which I don't understand. Based on a lot of comments I've seen on here I did go out and buy two STI Trojans, 9mm and .45. That's a great leap forward for me after carrying a Combat Commander and Star PD for well over 30 years. Sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.)

Jack

Don-wayne
03-18-2011, 20:19
I belong to an indoor and outdoor range about ten min from my house. We have IDPA,USPSA,PPC,trap and some 3 gun as well. I shoot often so my reloader is a 650 with all the goodies. I load 9mm and .40 s&w in bulk....:tongueout:

HAIL CAESAR
03-18-2011, 20:27
At my house or in the fields.
Or at the work range.

20South
03-18-2011, 20:33
Hokie - I've belonged to an indoor range here in Central Ohio for 2 years. The weather and my lack of access to land made shooting an impossibility otherwise. I pay ~200/year for my membership and I can shoot without charge M-F. Weekends cost me $10. I average two trips per month, although sometimes I do get there more often. I generally shoot about 200-300 rounds when I go, but that is just because of cost. I am seriously thinking about selling a couple of pieces to finance reloading and casting setups. My main hunting rifle is chambered in .257 Weatherby Mag which is ridiculously expensive to buy factory ammo for - so thats the rest of my "rationale". I take that out to a state park or my buddies farm when he is around to practice with it. If I were in your shoes, I wouldnt even think about an alternate carry piece to that Cobra. At least not anytime soon. Reload/Cast for it and shoot the heck out of it.

Mr. Gekko
03-18-2011, 20:38
Good post Jack, thanks. :wavey:

drc767
03-18-2011, 20:40
My main hunting rifle is chambered in .257 Weatherby Mag

I have about 7 hunting rifles. My .257 WM is the only one that has been out of the safe in the last three hunting seasons. I have killed 10 deer with in in the last three deer seasons. Not one of them has made it 20 yards from where they were hit. About 7 of them have dropped like they were hit by a lightening bolt. The .257 WM is awesome!! Not cheap to shoot, but awesome nonetheless!!

gunslinger3
03-18-2011, 22:16
Here is mine:
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx122/mitchellmsm/cascadeshootingwa.jpg

$100 a year and 8 hours of service (or $80). Weather is really not that bad. Went shooting Christmas day with the young ones.

Should probably reload, but haven't learned yet.

Oh and it is 5 minutes from the house :)

Jim S.
03-19-2011, 02:15
I go to an indoor range. They do not offer a deal on membership or anything like that.
They just raised their fee to 10 bucks a session. They do not specify a time and I've never seen them have a problem with staying there several hours.
The part I like best is there are no rules against rapid fire, or holster draws, or anything else like close range shooting.
They have very good quality range ammo, but they also don't care if you bring your own.
All those things make it worth the 10 bucks to me.
I look at it like this;
Some guys go after work and sit in a bar and spend a hundred bucks.
I go to the range and spend a hundred bucks and enjoy that more.

R0CKETMAN
03-19-2011, 04:11
My front yard

BuckyP
03-19-2011, 05:45
For those that shoot in their own yard, that is awesome.

As an part time "employee" of a store / indoor range, I use that range to practice, usually after hours.

I also still belong to my old indoor / outdoor range in New Jersey. I shoot enough local matches there, that the discount on the match fees almost pays for the membership fee by the end of the year. Even though I'm in PA, it's only an hour away (albeit is a tough hour ride).

In addition to that, I'm trying to join the range that is just up the street from me (there is a waiting list). That is an outdoor range with 200 yards rifle. I'm joining that to get better with the AR.

Even with all this, there are so many matches that there's not much time for practice shooting. For example, this week

Sunday - IDPA match setup / shoot
Monday - IDPA match
Wednesday - GLOCK match
Thursday - Trap shooting
Saturday (today) - Outdoor IPSC
Sunday - choice outdoor steel / indoor IDPA (haven't decided yet)

Man, am I glad the winter is finally over. Speaking of which, I actually enjoy reloading. I do most of my reloading in the winter when the matches are much more far and few between. For example, I have about 15,000 9mms ready to go for the year. In lesser quantities, I have .40s (major and minor), .45s and .38 supers (also major and minor).

Hookie, definitely get yourself out to the IDPA match. It's a blast.

MD357
03-19-2011, 09:06
Local outdoor range that has a pistol range, plinking range, shotgun range, .22 range and a few rifle ranges with one out to 1000yds. Also has a huge skeet area with a seperate cowboy action range. Membership is $110 year.

relayman
03-19-2011, 09:10
Wildlife Management Area . State owned . Free , you just have to have some type of hunting , fishing license or wildlife stamp . Pistol range and 100 yd rifle range .

Quack
03-19-2011, 11:07
If the wifey says its ok, We have an IDPA match tomorrow around me. Just bring yourself. Ill provide the gear and gun of your choice.

today, or sunday?

Johan Beer
03-19-2011, 16:48
I shoot at a free state range that you have to jump through hoops to get a permit to.

Starting this year it's only open 6 months, April through September.

I would like to join a private range, but around here they are $250-$400 per year, plus you have to put in at least 25 hours volunteer time. I wouldn't mind the annual dues so much, but the mandatory work hours put me off. I have a family and a full time + job, 25 hours of weekend time is a lot for me.

sonofsarge
03-19-2011, 17:17
I belong to a private indoor range as well as owning an outdoor range that I use for CCW classes. I reload .357 and .45 using a Dillon 550. Most indoor ranges that I know of frown on reloads. (The ones that rent guns WON'T let you use them) I don't use them for my classes either. I do it for me. Great way to kill a winter evening too.

rsxr22
03-19-2011, 18:01
today, or sunday?

Sorry I didnt get back to you. It was today

polizei1
03-19-2011, 18:04
We should all meet up somewhere in Ohio (like near Columbus) and have a BBQ/Shootout. There's quite a few people from Ohio on this board.

Quack
03-19-2011, 18:07
Sorry I didnt get back to you. It was today

that's what i figured. I was working on the car today.

if it was tomorrow, i would've brought the TGO-1 for you to shoot.

Hokie1911
03-19-2011, 18:08
We should all meet up somewhere in Ohio (like near Columbus) and have a BBQ/Shootout. There's quite a few people from Ohio on this board.

Since most of us live in the Cleveland area....we nominate you to drive up here. :wavey:

20South
03-19-2011, 18:09

Count me in.

20South
03-19-2011, 18:10
Since most of us live in the Cleveland area....we nominate you to drive up here. :wavey:

I'm not so sure about that!

Hokie1911
03-19-2011, 18:12
I'm not so sure about that!

I bet you're wrong. :tongueout:

20South
03-19-2011, 18:16
maybe we need 2 events - one near cbus and one up north

Hokie1911
03-19-2011, 18:20
maybe we need 2 events - one near cbus and one up north

...or you guys could just come up here. :rofl:

Quack, Lawdog, and Knedrgr and I are up here, RSX is in Youngstown (hour east), and Blayglock just moved to Pittsburgh (2 hours east). You guys are like 2 hours southwest............so Cleveland is right smack in the middle for all. :whistling:

20South
03-19-2011, 18:25
...or you guys could just come up here. :rofl:

Quack, Lawdog, and Knedrgr and I are up here, RSX is in Youngstown (hour east), and Blayglock just moved to Pittsburgh (2 hours east). You guys are like 2 hours southwest............so Cleveland is right smack in the middle for all. :whistling:

I actually dont mind the trip up to Cleveland. You guys can work on logistics if you're hosting!:tongueout:

Hokie1911
03-19-2011, 18:32
I actually dont mind the trip up to Cleveland. You guys can work on logistics if you're hosting!:tongueout:

I think we can definitely set up something for the summer. I may be joining a club and you can rent out the range there for private events for $25/hr I believe.

R0CKETMAN
03-19-2011, 20:02
that's what i figured. I was working on the car today.

if it was tomorrow, i would've brought the TGO-1 for you to shoot.

You bring the TGO, I'll provide deals gap:wavey: 318 turns in 11 miles

20South
03-19-2011, 20:10

I lost my bike when I got my wife...

Quack
03-19-2011, 20:14

Sadly I still haven't done it on the moto :(

rsxr22
03-19-2011, 20:14
Im definitely in. Its gotta be at an outdoor club though. Somewhere where we can set stuff up and not be bothered by RO's and stuff. My club is like that and so is my buddies, but i doubt you guys want to drive all the way up here

Quack
03-19-2011, 20:15
I lost my bike when I got my wife...

I got a moto when I lost the wife :animlol:

rsxr22
03-19-2011, 20:15
After April, my weekends are pretty much free again! Thank god for no gun shows. I'll be tied up pretty much all of sundays though for matches.

Quack
03-19-2011, 20:16
Im definitely in. Its gotta be at an outdoor club though. Somewhere where we can set stuff up and not be bothered by RO's and stuff. My club is like that and so is my buddies, but i doubt you guys want to drive all the way up here

There's the trash heap called A&A.:animlol:

Hokie1911
03-19-2011, 20:17

Wouldn't be bad for us, but that's a hike for the Cbus guys. I can imagine we will definitely be up your way at some point soon.

rsxr22
03-19-2011, 20:20
Wouldn't be bad for us, but that's a hike for the Cbus guys. I can imagine we will definitely be up your way at some point soon.

Oh BS its 2 1/2 hour drive!! I go up there drinking all the time and dont complain.

If you wanna start shooting in comps, start reserving your sundays. Find some matches around you. I will drive wherever and not complain LOL
IDPA is alright, USPSA:thumbsup:

rsxr22
03-19-2011, 20:21
There's the trash heap called A&A.:animlol:

Disregard the PM smart ass!

Quack
03-19-2011, 20:24
Huh? The times I've shot at A&A there was a ton of junk there that people brought to shoot and it looked like a dump.

20South
03-19-2011, 20:25
I got a moto when I lost the wife :animlol:

:rofl::rofl:

rsxr22
03-19-2011, 20:25
Huh? The times I've shot at A&A there was a ton of junk there that people brought to shoot and it looked like a dump.

NM that went over my head

20South
03-19-2011, 20:27

I've shot in those places. As long as its safe, I dont care about the landscaping.

FLIPPER 348
03-19-2011, 20:30

1. no
2. weekly on local BLM land
3. reload .357mag, shoot mostly .45acp and .22

Hokie1911
03-19-2011, 20:32
I've shot in those places. As long as its safe, I dont care about the landscaping.

Shooting junk is safe........most of the time. :whistling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn0MFqP1js0

20South
03-19-2011, 21:00
Shooting junk is safe........most of the time. :whistling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn0MFqP1js0

Not exactly sure how that happened with a .50 - on iron no less.

k45
03-21-2011, 09:54
Most people agree that reloading does NOT save money, it just lets you shoot a lot more for the same amount of money.

I have a Dillon 550, I've reloaded about 70,000 rounds on it. I have briefly looked at a 650 but I don't think its the way to go for me. The 550 can turn out 3-400 rounds an hour. That's plenty for me. A 650 is a lot more expensive and can turn out a lot more, but I don't need that capacity. Caliber change overs are more complex and take more time iwth a 650 than a 550.

If I were going to do anything, I would buy another 550 and leave it set for one caliber.

I enjoy reloading. Sometimes I think I shoot so that I can reload more.

I have come to realize that my biggest time waster in reloading is changing bullets and powders. If I would stick to one bullet and powder things would go a lot faster.

We used to belong to an indoor range and went 2 or 3 times a week. Now that we have a farm, I just go down in the south pasture.

20South
03-21-2011, 10:01
Most people agree that reloading does NOT save money, it just lets you shoot a lot more for the same amount of money.

So if I can buy 100 rounds for $40 or I can reload 100 rounds for $30, I haven't saved any money? I think I am missing something. :dunno:

SPRSkip
03-21-2011, 12:07
Yup you are missing the fact that we all end up shooting 150 rounds where we would have only shot 100 if we were not reloading.

k45
03-21-2011, 12:13
Yup you are missing the fact that we all end up shooting 150 rounds where we would have only shot 100 if we were not reloading.

Right. We spend $50. That means 200 rounds of Wally World ammo or 400 rounds of home reloads. But it's still $50.

That's what most of us have found.

The other advantage of reloading is that it gives us another "gun hobby" when we are not at the range.

Ken

SPRSkip
03-21-2011, 12:45
Right. We spend $50. That means 200 rounds of Wally World ammo or 400 rounds of home reloads. But it's still $50.

That's what most of us have found.

The other advantage of reloading is that it gives us another "gun hobby" when we are not at the range.

Ken
What he said :whistling:

Skadoosh
03-21-2011, 13:05
I'm lucky, we made a range right across the street from my girl's house. we could definately do 100 yrds. maybe 175, but that'd be near the edge of the road..kinda make me nervous..ahah :)

MD357
03-21-2011, 13:16

Usually you have to go to a gunshow to hear retarded statements like this.

BuckyP
03-21-2011, 13:24

Hokie1911
03-21-2011, 13:32

MD, you're right... I am nowhere near the level of "bein' a dick" that you are. :rofl::tongueout:

lawdog734
03-21-2011, 13:36
MD, you're right... I am nowhere near the level of "bein' a dick" that you are. :rofl::tongueout:

I always love his posts

Hokie1911
03-21-2011, 13:38
I always love his posts

Agreed. :thumbsup:

MD357
03-21-2011, 14:07

Verified.

Just sayin, am I the only person to sit back and scratch their head on that one?

Hokie1911
03-21-2011, 14:10
Verified.

Just sayin, am I the only person to sit back and scratch their head on that one?

Nope, I was thinking the same thing. I don't buy into the "you won't save any money" argument. If I can shoot .45 for the price of factory 9mm, I am saving money. Period.

Nickpisp
03-21-2011, 14:16
Nope, I was thinking the same thing. I don't buy into the "you won't save any money" argument. If I can shoot .45 for the price of factory 9mm, I am saving money. Period.

He's saying since it's cheaper to reload he ends up shooting more which isn't really saving him money. He still spends the $50, he's just shooting alot more.

thecableguy
03-21-2011, 14:18
He's saying since it's cheaper to reload he ends up shooting more which isn't really saving him money. He still spends the $50, he's just shooting alot more.

ohhh. Is that what he meant? I thought I was loosing it there for a minute.

Hokie1911
03-21-2011, 14:21

I get that logic, but if I am planning a range trip and I shoot 250 rounds of .45, then I made them for half the price of buying that same 250 rounds, thus I saved half the price. I don't use the logic of "well, I can shoot 500 rounds for that same cash output" at that range trip. I am only shooting 250, not the 500. That next range trip, I'd have that extra 250 rounds, thus....again SAVING me from buying another 250.......SAVING me money. :dunno:

Hokie1911
03-21-2011, 14:22
ohhh. Is that what he meant? I thought I was loosing it there for a minute.

"Loosing" or "losing"?

See MD, I am working on "bein' a dick" more and more everyday. :whistling:

teweekley
03-21-2011, 14:30
Built one in my backyard last year for pistols:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_cN1BAc_F94s/TYC6QssCI0I/AAAAAAAAAJU/igqtBCr5nnc/s640/2011-03-15%2017.55.09.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_cN1BAc_F94s/TYC6QwHP2CI/AAAAAAAAAJM/9HcY5GjQHL0/s640/2011-03-15%2017.56.04.jpg

I may get a membership across the river where I work to have a place to shoot indoors in the winter. Depends on my financial situation after having a kid.

thecableguy
03-21-2011, 14:32
"Loosing" or "losing"?

See MD, I am working on "bein' a dick" more and more everyday. :whistling:

I bet you have one of these on right now.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-SomhtKC1WZKcBrI5OR0D6LSE6vGQgy5RJHQLcz42lE4mqb7nOQ
So
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIjJ_TFpQE9PHWRg7YZUm3WqoykCQ72iTaM94H9A_NQCPHMj2q

Hokie1911
03-21-2011, 14:38
So
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIjJ_TFpQE9PHWRg7YZUm3WqoykCQ72iTaM94H9A_NQCPHMj2q

So you're saying I'm number 1! :number1:

20South
03-21-2011, 14:39
Verified.

Nope. I asked the question too, but was a little more "diplomatic".

RMA
03-21-2011, 14:41
I have a local place by my job I usually go to after work. Its indoors and membership is cheap. 14 months unlimited usage for 125 bucks ! Can't beat it. And its super convenient.

GioaJack
03-21-2011, 14:43

Actually k45 is pretty much on point, at least in one scenario. As an example, if your budget only allows 500 rounds of factory ammunition per month but you have the time and desire to shoot more loading will allow you to shoot at least twice as much for the same amount of money. Net result, no monetary savings but at least twice the amount of bullets down range. (The cost of loading is affected greatly buy buying habits, buying components in bulk, i.e. twenty-thousand primers at a time on-line for $15 per thousand as opposed to $30 per thousand at the local gun shop or powder in eight-pound kegs for $100 as opposed to one-pound canisters for $20. Since bullets are the most costly component in a loaded round using free wheel weights for casting drops the cost of ammunition to less than one-quarter of even cheap factory ammunition.)

If, on the other hand you shoot two-thousand rounds a month but have no more time to spend at the range loading will save you at least 50% of your normal monthly outlay... again, that savings can be greatly increased buy proper buying habits even if you don't cast your own bullets.

Depending on what equipment a novice loader decides to start with a return on investment can be realized in as little as two to three months.

Jack

bikewriter
03-21-2011, 14:51
20 minutes away is a range. Cost is $25 per year for a family. No other fees.

I live 4.5 miles from bureau of land management; many shooters go out but I shoot midweek and find a nice safe canyon with a natural backstop and nothing for miles behind it.

My brother has a little range behind his acreage with a 20 foot vertical dirt backstop.

Indoor range about 25 minutes away but I try not to shoot. Maybe twice a year when a buddy drags me along to test a new firearm. Indoor ranges are scary, especially dimly lit narrow ones.

Reload 9mm and 45acp on a 550b.

craig19
03-21-2011, 15:57
I belong to a rod and gun club in Trumbull County, it's about an hour drive for me. It's only $27 a year and 15 yrs of time for the club. It doesn't seem too bad, have been a member since October.

If I don't feel like driving out there, Atwell's is about 10 mins from my house and they charge $12 an hour for an indoor range.

Quack
03-21-2011, 16:59
I belong to a rod and gun club in Trumbull County, it's about an hour drive for me. It's only $27 a year and 15 yrs of time for the club. It doesn't seem too bad, have been a member since October.

If I don't feel like driving out there, Atwell's is about 10 mins from my house and they charge $12 an hour for an indoor range.

which club, and where in Trumbull Co.?

craig19
03-21-2011, 17:02
which club, and where in Trumbull Co.?

It's in Cortland on Philips-Rice Rd. Here's the link to their website. http://www.tcrg.us/

Here's their FB page, has some pics of the grouns. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trumbull-County-Rod-Gun-Club/167487819959673

MD357
03-21-2011, 21:53

Right I get that.... he shooting a lot more because he chooses to do so. Price per round will always be cheaper though. :cool:

Cobra64
03-24-2011, 04:11
I'm a member of a private club with the initiation fee at $250, annual dues are $120, no other fees.

I don't have many pics of the pistol range except for a few from a rifle/pistol class we had on the pistol range.

In getting prepared for another class next month, next week I'm having gravel put down over the sand base.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/CAROLINA%20WEST%20SHOOTING%20CLUB/GROUP11.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/CAROLINA%20WEST%20SHOOTING%20CLUB/MIKE13.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/CAROLINA%20WEST%20SHOOTING%20CLUB/JERRY04.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/CAROLINA%20WEST%20SHOOTING%20CLUB/JERRY08.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/CAROLINA%20WEST%20SHOOTING%20CLUB/JERRY01.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/CAROLINA%20WEST%20SHOOTING%20CLUB/LESLIE01.jpg

glock2740
03-24-2011, 05:48
Our POA has a covered 50 yard pistol range, covered 100 yard rifle range and a full blown skeet/trap range. The skeet/trap range costs $4, IIRC per 25 clays, but the pistol and rifle range are free, but require you to check out a key from one of the golf clubhouses. And it's only 3 miles from the house. :cool:

Nickpisp
03-24-2011, 07:14
I get that logic, but if I am planning a range trip and I shoot 250 rounds of .45, then I made them for half the price of buying that same 250 rounds, thus I saved half the price. I don't use the logic of "well, I can shoot 500 rounds for that same cash output" at that range trip. I am only shooting 250, not the 500. That next range trip, I'd have that extra 250 rounds, thus....again SAVING me from buying another 250.......SAVING me money. :dunno:

http://pic.phyrefile.com/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2011/01/31/wut.png

Nickpisp
03-24-2011, 07:16
Right I get that.... he shooting a lot more because he chooses to do so. Price per round will always be cheaper though. :cool:

Quit being a d!ck.

:rofl:

Hokie1911
03-24-2011, 07:26
Quit being a d!ck.

Please stay on topic.

Nickpisp
03-24-2011, 07:36
Please stay on topic.

Fine, I shoot here: http://www.usshootingacademy.com/

Hokie1911
03-24-2011, 07:38
Fine, I shoot here: http://www.usshootingacademy.com/

Nickpisp
03-24-2011, 07:51

690 posts and you laugh at my first serious one?? :rofl:

Hokie1911
03-24-2011, 07:59
690 posts and you laugh at my first serious one?? :rofl:

"Please stay on topic" is about as serious as "unverified", "quit being such a dick", "raking cars", or anything from Don that has a .jpg. :animlol:

Nickpisp
03-24-2011, 08:06
"Please stay on topic" is about as serious as "unverified", "quit being such a dick", "raking cars", or anything from Don that has a .jpg. :animlol:

Quit being a dick and go rake your car. I have to go take pics of a deuce.

Hokie1911
03-24-2011, 08:09
Quit being a dick and go rake your car. I have to go take pics of a deuce.

Pics or it didn't happen...........no wait, forget that. :whistling:

FLIPPER 348
03-24-2011, 22:05

Are you always such a duche-tard in real life??

Cobra64
03-24-2011, 22:18
I bet you have one of these on right now.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-SomhtKC1WZKcBrI5OR0D6LSE6vGQgy5RJHQLcz42lE4mqb7nOQ
So

I used to be the GT grammar nazi until I found out I was outnumbered by those who flaunt their illiteracy and lack of respect for the English language.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/English.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/GrammarPolice.gif

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/GrammarNazi.gif