Forgive the noob...which JHP ammo (Glock 26)? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Forgive the noob...which JHP ammo (Glock 26)?

oshuwah
03-18-2011, 22:57
I have a new Glock 26 Gen4 and am looking for a reasonably priced, reliable JHP round. I dont need the uber-best and frankly hope I never have to see how effective they are!

I have limited funds to shift through different rounds at the range to find which self defense round works well with my baby glock. Hoping to find a 50 round per box option for around $15. If I'm off base or unrealistic on price, just let me know.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

GlockSupremacy
03-18-2011, 23:12
Generally quality defensive ammo is about a dollar a shot in 9mm. 20rds/$20

However, if you have a police supply company near you, you can get a better deal at 50rds/$32ish

I will recommend what I use and feel is proven based on my research. 124gr +p gold dot (speer)

Don't skimp out on defensive ammo imho.

Welcome to GT!

Glolt20-91
03-18-2011, 23:12
Welcome to the forum.

Here's a website for you to explore;

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/9mm

I've enjoyed doing business with this company and they carry a wide assortment of personal defense 9mm ammo;

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/9mm-9x19

Bob :cowboy:

RyanBDawg
03-18-2011, 23:21
I use Winchester PDX1 +P 124 grain JHP in my Glock 26... But Speer Gold Dot is just as good...

Premium JHP ammo generally comes in boxes of 20, and cost 18-20$ for one box...

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/Hot02SS/DSC07766.jpg

TSAX
03-18-2011, 23:22
FYI

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm.php

HotRoderX
03-19-2011, 00:26
I use Winchester PDX1 +P 124 grain JHP in my Glock 26... But Speer Gold Dot is just as good...

Premium JHP ammo generally comes in boxes of 20, and cost 18-20$ for one box...

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/Hot02SS/DSC07766.jpg

+1
this is what I use in my G17 Love them and there cheap
18.95 a box of 20 at walmart... As far as getting 50 for 15bucks I never ever seen a deal like that ever

bel970
03-19-2011, 00:58
Really any defense round from one of the better manufactures should get the job done. I like Speer gold dot short barrel, Corbon 125g jhp and Winchesters ranger line. nice thing about the Winchesters, just picked up a few boxes of the 127gr +p+ jhp for 24.95 each, and they come in boxes of 50 for about the same price as everyone else charges for boxes of 20.

Jager1
03-19-2011, 03:24
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/519.php

The venerable 9BP from Federal.

bapak2ja
03-19-2011, 03:44
It may be cheap, but I have found WWB ammo (147gr JHP Personal Protectin) at Wally's World for about $25/50 rnd box. The ammo works well in my G26 3rd generation. So far, I have used them for training without difficulty. I would not hesitate to carry it in my EDC G26 or Taurus 709 Slim.

Right now I have MagTech JHP in the pistols, but I plan to go to the range today and shoot them out of the mags. I have had them in the mags since before Thanksgiving, so I want to replace them with fresh ammo. The WWB may be the replacement ammo, but I have to review what other older stuff I still have. Wnat to rotate out the oldest first.

RMD
03-19-2011, 08:32
I have a new Glock 26 Gen4 and am looking for a reasonably priced, reliable JHP round. I dont need the uber-best and frankly hope I never have to see how effective they are!

I have limited funds to shift through different rounds at the range to find which self defense round works well with my baby glock. Hoping to find a 50 round per box option for around $15. If I'm off base or unrealistic on price, just let me know.

You might find 20 rounds for $15-$20. The Winchester White Box JHP at Walmart is probably the cheapest brand name SD round you can find locally.

For $5-$10 more, you can find very good SD ammo online. Buy in box of 50 and your price/round drops significantly. Check the links that have already been posted and look for Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, etc.

JBP55
03-19-2011, 09:42
You should be able to find 50 round boxes of Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T in the $25 range.
You should not pay more than 60 cents a round for quality 9mm ammo.
The PDX1 is overpriced at $1 a round.

fredj338
03-19-2011, 09:56

IMO, doesn't exist. If you carry a gun, put decent SD ammo in it. IMO, you only need to test one full mag from each mag you carry, run it at full speed, no malfunctions, then I call it good to go. It's always your ability more than the ammo or caliber, but good caliber & good ammo does give you a marginal edge. In a gunfight for your life, what is that worth?:dunno: Like jb said, you can find good SD ammo on line for $25/50, about as cheap as it's gonna get.

WildManPiet
03-19-2011, 10:31
+1 Fred :agree:

unit1069
03-19-2011, 10:54
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/519.php

The venerable 9BP from Federal.

Yes, I've never had the opportunity to shoot any of this particular round but it enjoys a good reputation and it's about the most reasonable priced quality JHP offered by anyone.

Some online ammo sites are offering Remington Golden Saber JHP ammo for less than $15/box of 25. That ammo has always worked well in my pistols.

The main thing is that although none of us hopes to ever find out how effective our self-defense weapons are, if that time ever does come the last thing I'd want to be on my mind is the regret I didn't have the best ammo I could find to carry in the pistol.

Jager1
03-19-2011, 12:24
(I) am looking for a reasonably priced, reliable JHP round. I dont need the uber-best...

I have limited funds to shift through different rounds at the range to find which self defense round works well with my baby glock. Hoping to find a 50 round per box option for around $15.

I simply answered the question. :supergrin:

WildManPiet
03-19-2011, 13:28
I have a new Glock 26 Gen4 ... find which self defense round works well with my baby glock.
They all do.
My gen4 26 likes them all.
I finally went with Ranger JHP. I have both 147gr and 127gr+p+
currently using the 147 in the 26, and the +p+ in the 17. The standard load, +p, +p+ debate can go on forever and get nowhere.

fredj338
03-19-2011, 13:35
They all do.
My gen4 26 likes them all.
I finally went with Ranger JHP. I have both 147gr and 127gr+p+
currently using the 147 in the 26, and the +p+ in the 17. The standard load, +p, +p+ debate can go on forever and get nowhere.
That is YOUR particular gun. Neve assume that what works in your works in anyone elses. Always test your own SD ammo. I even test revolver ammo before I carry it.

Edmo01
03-19-2011, 14:11

All of the major ammo manufacturers makes good, high quality, purpose built JHP self-defense ammo. To debate over which is better is like debating over engine oils or blondes, brunettes, and red heads.

Generally, for "premium" self-defense ammo you will pay around $1 per round, so it will not be your plinking ammo unless you have hit the lottery. The key is to pick one, verify accuracy and function in YOUR pistol, and then carry it.

That being said, I use the Remington 124 grain Golden Saber ammo in both my G19 and G26. Is it better than the others? No. However, the Remington plant is 20 miles from my house so buying their ammo supports my local economy and I get good ammo to boot.

Edmo
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/533/533828.jpg

darkscribe
03-19-2011, 14:22
Ammunitiontogo.com has the +P Gold Dot for $25 a box.

SGAmmo.com has: 127 grain Ranger +P+ at $27
124 grain Gold Dot at $25
115 grain Ranger +P+ at $20
147 grain Ranger-T at $27

The 115 grain Ranger is older technology, but it has served well. The first two loads are lauded as about the best compromise between light/fast, and slow/heavy.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about reliability in any of the top-tier ammo loadings. A bigger variable is how well can the shooter do with it. For that reason alone, one of the more recent 147 grain loadings (Ranger-T, HST or Gold Dot) might be easier to control under rapid fire.

HotRoderX
03-19-2011, 14:38
just wanted to add when it comes to firearms there is never a noob question. Better to ask then to not know and get your self hurt or someone else.
Also welcome to glock talk

Happy Hunting
03-19-2011, 14:42
Has anybody tried the Wilson handgun ammo? I'm curious to see how it would stack up against the benchmark (IMO Gold dots)

AWESOMO 4000
03-19-2011, 15:12
Everybody usually goes off over 127 +P+ Ranger T, or Gold Dot +P, and HST, and 147gr .38 special speed slugs (sic), but old school still works good too.

115gr and 125gr +P CorBon have been around for years and you rarely hear anything bad about them. At one time they were literally "the best" 9mm round around. 9BPLE Federal and regular 9BP (non-+P) are still outstanding rounds, supremely accurate and with their ball profile (wonder if that's what bp means ???) you'd have to really have something go wrong for them to not feed properly.

Bonded ammo is great and all, but usually if you're shooting through glass and car doors (what it was intended to do). The choices above have been working well for 30 years and are long-time proven rounds.

ADK_40GLKr
03-19-2011, 15:56
When shopping for HD/SD ammo, I usually plan on buying a box of 20 or 25, shooting half at the range (to make sure my gun runs it) and loading a mag to keep for HD. Then if I like it, I'll get another box or 2 when I can afford it and test with another mag or 2. When I find something I like better, I'll rotate out my old supply, as I build up a supply of the new.

At the range, I'll shoot 3 to 5 times as much cheapie target ammo as I do HD ammo, and ALWAYS keep at least a mag-full of JHP for the trip home and HD.

Recently, I was able to find a box of 25 124gr JHP Golden Sabres for 18.95 at a local gun store. The equivalent .40's were $23.95. If you check every month or so you can find decent ammo on sale at Wal-Mart, Gander Mt, and sometimes a local gun shop. Doing this, I've been able to build up an "adequate" supply of range and SD/HD ammo. (Picked up a couple boxes of Fiocci 124(?) grain the other day at Gander Mt's clearance table for Wal-Mart UMC prices [~$9/50])

(BTW, when I factor in the cost of shipping from on-line suppliers, I usually find the above method is more cost-effective for me.)

YMMV - but right now, at my newbie level this is working for me.

cowboy1964
03-19-2011, 16:33
You can order 100 rounds online for less than what you're paying for 3-20 round boxes locally. Even with shipping. If you can order more than 100 rounds at a time you'll save even more.

Online Gold Dots, Rangers, etc, cost about 50-55 cents per round, give or take. Shipping is maybe $16. With online you're not paying sales tax either (as long as it's out of state). Do the math. There is no reason to pay $1+ per round.

JBP55
03-19-2011, 17:30
You can order 100 rounds online for less than what you're paying for 3-20 round boxes locally. Even with shipping. If you can order more than 100 rounds at a time you'll save even more.

Online Gold Dots, Rangers, etc, cost about 50-55 cents per round, give or take. Shipping is maybe $16. With online you're not paying sales tax either (as long as it's out of state). Do the math. There is no reason to pay $1+ per round.

What he said.Do Not pay more than $.60 per round for premium 9mm carry ammo. such as HST, Gold Dot, Ranger T.

beforeobamabans
03-19-2011, 19:04
Here you go, $0.32/round.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/1000rds-9mm-federal-le-hishok-115gr-hollow-point-ammo/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo

JBP55
03-19-2011, 19:15
Here you go, $0.32/round.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/1000rds-9mm-federal-le-hishok-115gr-hollow-point-ammo/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo

I would pass on these and go with the 124/147HST.

packinaglock
03-19-2011, 19:23
just wanted to add when it comes to firearms there is never a noob question. Better to ask then to not know and get your self hurt or someone else.
Also welcome to glock talk

Exactly! we were all noobs at one point, not to mention our kids will have questions when we're worm food and have left them all of our guns.

beforeobamabans
03-20-2011, 03:06
I would pass on these and go with the 124/147HST.
The OP specifically asked for something near .30/round. Good luck finding HSTs at that price. I have some Hi-Shoks in my inventory and they work just fine.

packinaglock
03-20-2011, 05:48
Canyon man has spoke pretty highly of JHP, WWB if I recall. They should be pretty cheap. I think he said he has a friend that works at Winchester? :dunno:

fredj338
03-20-2011, 13:23
Canyon man has spoke pretty highly of JHP, WWB if I recall. They should be pretty cheap. I think he said he has a friend that works at Winchester? :dunno:

Yeah, but I think CM is talking 45acp, totally diff animal.:supergrin:

oshuwah
03-20-2011, 17:02
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I am going to just step up and buy the more expensive rounds, somewhere around $25/50.

I did check two walmarts in the area (there are five in my region) and they did not have any 9mm JHP's and almost no 9mm at all.

I found some cheap russian made JHP's online but I am going to pass on them

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ABS9HP145&name=Silver+Bear+9mm+145grn+HP+50rd+Box&groupid=301&search=silver+bear

It occurred to me the SD/HD rounds I buy will hopefully never be used other than when I cycle the old rounds out. So I might as will buy something decent.

HotRoderX
03-20-2011, 17:15
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I am going to just step up and buy the more expensive rounds, somewhere around $25/50.

I did check two walmarts in the area (there are five in my region) and they did not have any 9mm JHP's and almost no 9mm at all.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ABS9HP145&name=Silver+Bear+9mm+145grn+HP+50rd+Box&groupid=301&search=silver+bear

It occurred to me the SD/HD rounds I buy will hopefully never be used other than when I cycle the old rounds out. So I might as will buy something decent.

I personally use Russian ammo for plinking but good idea not using it for SD ammo. I have had some duds with Russian ammo and its just not worth my life you know

Warp
03-20-2011, 18:27

Cheap Russian ammo is fine...for practicing at the range. Good plan passing on them for defensive use.

I whole heartedly support the idea of buying a top of the line JHP for defensive use, especially in 9mm, but you should still shoot some of it through your gun before relying on it. Even if it's just one magazine, you really should run some through your gun to verify functionality and to make sure point of aim = point of impact.

As for which one, any Gold Dot, HST or Ranger would be my choice. I like 124+P Gold Dots in my G26.

cowboy1964
03-20-2011, 18:27
For the price that Hi-Shok is about as good as you'll do. You can sometimes find 9BPLE (the +P+ version) for < $20. Has quite a kick/report to it though.

rwrjr
03-21-2011, 11:12
Here's Speer GDHP 124gr +P for $0.50/round - delivered: ammoman.com 9mm (http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_9mm.htm)

Even if you don't want a whole case you can probably sell what you don't want to keep on hand. One case = Twenty, 50 round boxes. That's $25/box. You can easily sell the boxes you don't want for $35/box via face to face sales using the want ads right here on GT. I've sold ammo this way and within a day or two I've always found a willing buyer. Say you keep 1/2 the case, and sell the other half at $35/box. That means the 1/2 case you kept really only cost $150, or $15/box, or $0.30/round. Just a thought.

DRT
03-21-2011, 16:27
Federal HST and Winchester Ranger Tseries are the best-of-the-best. While you won't find it at wally world, anyone with 2 spare brain cells to rub together can find it online for $25/50rd box or better.

xRecon
03-21-2011, 17:24
Anyone that buys 20 round boxes of jhps is wasting their money. www.Ammunitiontogo.com (http://www.Ammunitiontogo.com) has 50 round boxes of jhps, such as Gold Dot, HST, Rangers etc for the same price as those 20 round boxes.