Another Jumpsuit Thread... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another Jumpsuit Thread...

DaBigBR
03-21-2011, 12:29
Since I'm having trouble finding the old jumpsuit threads, I'll have to start a new one.

My current issue of uniforms are on their last legs. They have made it approximately 27 months, which is all the more I ever expected out of them. Right now they are serviceable, but within a couple of months, they're going to fall apart. BTDT.

I got permission (gasp!) to go the Bratwear jumpsuit route. I have emailed Bratwear a handful of questions but wanted to get some non-corporate opinions:

1) How long do these things last? I can get two jumpsuits for about $100 more than three standard sets of uniforms. They would be worn for one twelve hour shift and washed. I will NOT do more than one day without washing. Period.

2) What kind of lead times should I expect? Threads on other forums seem to indicate between a few weeks and a few months.

3) Any tips, tricks, hints, or suggestions for placing an order?

Mayhem like Me
03-21-2011, 13:30
You K9?

and have you ever worn a jumpsuit for duty?

We had custom nomex/lycra jumpsuits made for us years ago.. mine sits in a closet so does everyone elses...

DaBigBR
03-21-2011, 13:49
Not K9. Never worn a jumpsuit for duty. Never read a bad review of Bratwear.

Mayhem like Me
03-21-2011, 14:01
The problem is if you are athletic built or nonstandard, tall/short ....

If having cameltoe and other issues in the groinal region are not a problem for you when running jumping or climbing .. then go for it.

For me they just did not work. gunbelt issues as well with keeping it where you want it.

CAcop
03-21-2011, 14:05
The problem is if you are athletic built or nonstandard, tall/short ....

If having cameltoe and other issues in the groinal region are not a problem for you when running jumping or climbing .. then go for it.

For me they just did not work. gunbelt issues as well with keeping it where you want it.

Before I got to my department jumpsuits were the crowd control uniform. Mantoe was a significant problem for many. Knowing me with my long torso and short legs for my height I would be hurting.

Cochese
03-21-2011, 14:19
Bratwear has about 13 measurements to prevent man-toe. Sundown sent me his 5 year old BW jumpsuit to test/evaluate with my last agency. It still looked new and was worn often or the preferring 5 years.

Did I mention I am jealous?

Mayhem like Me
03-21-2011, 14:33
Mine was Bratwear.. yup they work for some but in tactical situations, like SWAT or K9 get into the mantoe issue can be problematic...

I noticed it in Climbing running situations more than anything else, at least with BDU's you have the torso separation that allows more freedom of movement.

Morris
03-21-2011, 14:36
I wear Bratwear and have done so for nearly 7 years, full-time.

1) Your jumpsuits, with normal wear and tear, will easily last you three years. I rotate mine every two year (buying a new one, that is) due to summer sweats, blackberry snags, etc. I've had shoulder patches wear out before the jumpsuit did.

2) Jumpsuits are about 2-5 months right now, depending on order volumes, the extras you want, etc. My last suit, ordered last fall, was to me in about one month. And that was with the rep driving up to remeasure (ahem! coughfatsocough) again. New vest, yeah, that's it! Order with a longer crotch area. Helps out immensely when you are doing some dynamic movements, climbing, etc.

3) You can literally customize the jumpsuit anyway you want. For example, My jumpsuit has a "mandarin style" (ala ACU shirt collar) throat, zippered underarms, TASER pocket, dual pen pockets, pockets at the knees for my gloves and VPOK, etc. The additions add to the cost but some are definitely worth it. The zip off sleeves are standard but worth it.

4) In my environment up here, I find the summer weight to be just fine. If colder, I can layer underneath. The winter weight is great for Alaska and the high winter Rockies, bit much for everywhere else.

5) Bratwear is an outstanding company. They really stand behind their product. I sent in a jumpsuit to have a tab added to the front for the new body worn camera. Tab added and sent back at no cost and within a week (pays to be about 45 mins away, though).

If you have any other questions, PM me I can send you some other information or photos.

DaBigBR
03-21-2011, 15:15
Thanks for the replies so far.

I am inclined to order with standard cargo pocket (like some of the cargo pocket uniform pants) and sap pocket on each leg. Not sure about the torso side and not sure about anything beyond that.

I'm 5'8" and about 170-175, so I'm not "unusual" sized other than being on the short side. Still waiting to hear back from Bratwear. I'll probably have a couple different people take the measurements independtly and compare since I'm not going to be able to stop in and place an order.

lndshark
03-21-2011, 17:17
BR,

What justification did the higher-up's ask for when you approached them? I'm thinking about taking the leap, piss-ant reserve that I am, but I know the management types will be asking the "why's" and "what for's." I work in a small town but we're surrounded by farms, woods and a river that has plenty of thorny, thatch to snag, rip and tear uniforms.

Morris, Bratwear is just down in Fife, aren't they? I may have to take a ride down there this summer and get fitted, pending approval, of course....

I guess my question is, do these have regular belt loops to thread an under belt through, or to they utilize a different system of using keepers for your duty belt?

Morris
03-21-2011, 17:49
Yep, in Fife and Sally and her folks will take care of you. They will size you all ways. They prefer a vest but if you need to borrow something, give me a buzz when you are up.

I have a total of four loops large enough for the inner belt to slip through. I should take some photos and post them here.

Cochese
03-21-2011, 18:06
Morris, if you can post an s-load of decent quality pictures to help my proposal, I would be forever greatful. :)

CGMK
03-21-2011, 18:28
bigBR, I have a black Ackerman jumpsuit that is almost new; I've never used it for duty because I already had one that I was using. A deputy that came out of detectives found that it shrank during his assignment away from patrol.

If your around 5'8" and UNDER 150lbs I'll let you have it for keeps. The back retractable panel is marked SHERIFF. You have first dibs, then it's going to the sticky pass along gear thread.

DaBigBR
03-21-2011, 20:35
What justification did the higher-up's ask for when you approached them?

I just asked and was told to go ahead. It's more of a curse than a blessing, because such an approach does not apply just to uniforms.

bigBR, I have a black Ackerman jumpsuit that is almost new; I've never used it for duty because I already had one that I was using. A deputy that came out of detectives found that it shrank during his assignment away from patrol.

If your around 5'8" and UNDER 150lbs I'll let you have it for keeps. The back retractable panel is marked SHERIFF. You have first dibs, then it's going to the sticky pass along gear thread.

I haven't been under one-fitty since I was in junior high school. I appreciate the offer, though.

Morris
03-22-2011, 15:57
Tomorrow for ya . . . will be my "retired" suits

Cochese
03-22-2011, 16:00
Tomorrow for ya . . . will be my "retired" suits

:patriot:

lndshark
03-22-2011, 17:11
Yep, in Fife and Sally and her folks will take care of you. They will size you all ways. They prefer a vest but if you need to borrow something, give me a buzz when you are up.

I have a total of four loops large enough for the inner belt to slip through. I should take some photos and post them here.

Thank you, sir. I'll be phoning you sometime in July.

lndshark
03-22-2011, 17:12
Morris, if you can post an s-load of decent quality pictures to help my proposal, I would be forever greatful. :)

:bowdown:

Yeah, what he said!

lndshark
03-22-2011, 17:16
I just asked and was told to go ahead. It's more of a curse than a blessing, because such an approach does not apply just to uniforms.

I'm going to try this. I've never flown in a lead balloon before, though.

We do have a Sgt. whom I rarely see but when I do, he's ALWAYS sporting some type of jumpsuit with our muted patches and sewn-on name tag and badge. It's DEFINATELY NOT a Bratwear or Blumenthal so I'll have to start being a pest and see what the deal is...

Thanks BR.

Goldendog Redux
03-22-2011, 17:40
I have a winter jumpsuit rolled up in the rafters of my garage. I hate the thing. Some genius Sgt. looked at me the other day as the rest of my shift, looking like smashed blueberries in their sweet nylon jumpsuits and said to me "You know it's snowing outside." I advised him I was aware of the current weather.]

The Blauer street gear I wear is only marginally better. Man, I am just never happy.

MF

Sundown
03-22-2011, 18:52
Bratwear is where it's at. They are perfect, and like Morris said, the summer weight ones are more than adequate with a bit if layering for those brrrrrr days. When you take measurements, be sure to wear your vest, BUG, and duty belt. Their series of measurements take all of these into account and you'll be happy you took the time to get them right.

As for customer service, Bratwear is second to none. They may take some time, but the product is worth the wait. Also, in my experience, they typically grossly overestimated the amount of time needed to get you your product. They are worth a 3 month wait, but you'll be really happy when you get it early.

DaBigBR
03-23-2011, 13:37
I've been emailing Sally (the president of Bratwear) back and forth the last couple days. Hoping to have an order placed next week. She says 6-8 weeks.

Philly K-9
03-24-2011, 18:13
Am I missing something? $350.00 BEFORE extras?!?!?!? I'm K-9 in Philadelphia, PA. Our uniform is a BDU (either a Tru-Spec "Tactical Dress Shirt or 5.11 TDU shirt and regular BDU pants) in the warmer months and a sweatshirt or a mock turtleneck under an outter vest carrier with a nylon MA-1 style bomber jacket. An expensive uniform costs me under $100.00 and that's with patches!!!

What's so awesome about Bratwear uniforms? Can someone post a detailed pic so I can see what they look like?

DaBigBR
03-24-2011, 18:39
I did the math and my regular class B uniforms run $179.97 before shipping, tailoring, and patch application. I figured that it rounds out to about $200 per set, which would include pants, short sleeve shirt, and long sleeve shirt. We wear a black uniform, and I am yet to find a single uniform with cotton blend (which is becoming more common) that does not fade. We use the 5.11 TDU pants for our class "C" (bike patrol originally, but basically a "soft" uniform with a yellow polo) and they fade gray fairly quickly.

The Bratwear stuff is completely custom cut to the user based upon measurements provided to the company. The quantity, size, and position of pockets is dictated by the end user. The one piece design eliminates some of the bunching at the waist from having the pants waistband, shirt, undershirt, vest tails, etc all together. The material is supposed to be 100% wash and wear and highly resistant to fading.

JBaird22
03-24-2011, 20:02
I have longed for the day when I could wear a jumpsuit again. How I love the tactical pj's. These jumpsuit threads make me sad in a way. At this point I'd be happy for just having cargo pockets.

pgg00
03-25-2011, 16:23
I got issued tactical onesies when I moved to WA. I have no desire to go back to regular uniforms now. Morris and I even met for coffee one day in jumpsuits :)

Philly K-9
03-25-2011, 16:43
What do the Pierce Co. WA Sherriff's wear? I see their jumpsuits on COPS a lot.

DaBigBR
03-26-2011, 03:12
What do the Pierce Co. WA Sherriff's wear? I see their jumpsuits on COPS a lot.

Why Bratwear, of course!

Cochese
03-26-2011, 03:35
I got issued tactical onesies when I moved to WA. I have no desire to go back to regular uniforms now. Morris and I even met for coffee one day in jumpsuits :)

I had no idea you left CA.

Can you take and post an ass load of decent quality jumpsuit pics as well? I need as many as I can get for this proposal!

pgg00
03-26-2011, 07:48
I had no idea you left CA.

Can you take and post an ass load of decent quality jumpsuit pics as well? I need as many as I can get for this proposal!

Yep. Been at my new agency for over 5 months now. And we can pursue :tongueout::tongueout:

PM an email address and I'll send you some pics. Are jumpsuits are made by Blumenthals. They are essentially the same as bratwear.

Cochese
03-26-2011, 09:16
Cool, thanks!

Morris
03-26-2011, 09:42
Owe you photos. Just up to my eyeballs in paperwork and home life.

DaBigBR
03-26-2011, 11:36

Could you see to it that you send them to me, too.

Either post here or you have my department email address.

Thanks!

Cochese
03-30-2011, 04:25

:whistling: :supergrin:

Morris
03-30-2011, 08:33
Yeah, yeah. :) This afternoon after before I go to training. Hopefully Photobucket will play nice.

Morris
04-06-2011, 10:41
Photobucket finally working:

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/mpbluenw/IMG_1501-1.jpg

With us, large POLICE patch on right side, name, & ID number in large letters. Pocket left side, dual pen pocket on the outside, lateral tab is for the VieVu. Pocket right side the same, vertical tab by the badge is for the radio mic.

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/mpbluenw/IMG_1507.jpg

Back of the jumpsuit. Can't miss who I am and yet, people can . . .

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/mpbluenw/IMG_1506.jpg

TASER pocket without the X26 insert. Velcro with redundant snap system.

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/mpbluenw/IMG_1505.jpg

Flashlight pocket, strong (right) side with lower pocket.

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/mpbluenw/IMG_1504.jpg

Underarm zipper. Handy for summer or winter wearing. (Sleeves zip off for summer wear).

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/mpbluenw/IMG_1508.jpg

Backside of the jumpsuit. You can see the elastic waistband and three of my five belt loops.

Hope that helps!

Cochese
04-06-2011, 16:20
Excellent.

Any way someone can snap a pic of you wearing it with the X26 in the holster? If not, no worries and thanks to all!

Morris
04-06-2011, 19:24
Yeah. Back on the road tomorrow so I'll snap a couple kitted out.

monkeywrencher
04-24-2011, 21:29
Morris thanks for the pics. Verifying that is the summer weight? I live on the Northern California coast and I'm really debating between the winter and summer weight. I got samples of both and the fleece backed winter weight seems much more substantial.

My other concern is blackberries, poison oak etc.. I crawl around in the bushes the majority of the time so it can't snag much.

Any feedback to these issues is appreciated.

Pat

South Fla
04-24-2011, 21:49
I guess berets are next? :supergrin:

Sundown
04-24-2011, 22:20
I guess berets are next? :supergrin:

As long as it's UN Peacekeeper Blue.

pgg00
04-25-2011, 05:02
Morris thanks for the pics. Verifying that is the summer weight? I live on the Northern California coast and I'm really debating between the winter and summer weight. I got samples of both and the fleece backed winter weight seems much more substantial.

My other concern is blackberries, poison oak etc.. I crawl around in the bushes the majority of the time so it can't snag much.

Any feedback to these issues is appreciated.

Pat

I used to work near you. The winter weight will be warm. No long undies needed. The material seems a little stronger also. The summer weight isn't as thick and may rip in some of the areas there. Working in the summer heat in Ukiah even the summer weight would be too hot. The coast area wouldn't be too bad though. Even in the winter up here I usually only wear a summer weight.

Morris
04-25-2011, 08:29
Yeah, what he said. :)

Lots of damned blackberries up here and unless you are running pell mell through a thicket, the jumpsuit will do well.

CGMK
04-25-2011, 16:41
Pat, I know you've seen my winter weight suit, it is plenty warm and has yet to rip after 2 winters of playing ninja in the pygmy brush and up on the ridge.

Your favorite deputy that is moving out of CA.

monkeywrencher
04-25-2011, 19:27
Pat, I know you've seen my winter weight suit, it is plenty warm and has yet to rip after 2 winters of playing ninja in the pygmy brush and up on the ridge.

Your favorite deputy that is moving out of CA.

Dude-

That's an Ackerman suit..(I think, isn't it?) That's like comparing a sta puff marshmallow suit to a Superman suit...:upeyes:

CGMK
04-25-2011, 19:43
Yeah, it's an Ackerman, one of the tribal guys has a bratwear and it was very similar, maybe a little more on the durable side.

Cochese
04-25-2011, 19:49
I was told last night, in no uncertain terms, that we will NOT be getting BW Jumpsuits or suspenders, per our Deputy Chief.

I can't help but wonder whether the senior guy that took over the uniform proposal sabotaged it because he doesn't like jumpsuits either and wants to get these Tru Spec 24/7 uniforms approved.

:upeyes:

I hate this job sometimes. Some much ****ing bull****.

Cochese
04-25-2011, 19:50
One thing is for certain...

if they don't approve external vest carriers, there is gonna be a ****ing mutiny and I'm leading the mother****er.

:steamed:

Morris
04-25-2011, 20:38
Tru Spec 24/7 uniforms

They will fade faster than an American Idol . . . kickbacks?

CAcop
04-25-2011, 23:42

My money is on a higher CDI factor. That seems to drive a lot of things in this business.

trdvet
04-26-2011, 00:06
I envy some of the uniforms here, tactical onesies, external vest carriers.....:sigh:

Talking about changing a uniform around here is blasphemy. It's strictly verboten!

THELimey
04-26-2011, 01:56
http://www.uniformmarketnews.com/component/content/article/31-companynews/968-blumenthals-puts-the-custom-and-performance-back-in-everyday-law-enforcement-uniforms.html

We are issued these Blumenthal produced jumpsuits. Great stuff and quite a few Depts in the PAC-NW going to them. Summer weight and winter. They are Nylon/Lycra. Do just fine running or climbing and have integrated belt keepers.
They are made in the USA. Highly recommended.

lndshark
04-26-2011, 18:26
I was told last night, in no uncertain terms, that we will NOT be getting BW Jumpsuits or suspenders, per our Deputy Chief.

I heard pretty much the same from our Admin. We can, in inclement weather or other "unusual circumstances" wear the 5.11 two-piece soft uniforms but jumpsuits are a no-go. Harrumph!

Sharky7
04-26-2011, 18:33
Y'all remind me of ghostbusters in your jumpsuits :tongueout:

Cochese
04-26-2011, 19:11

My money is on a higher CDI factor. That seems to drive a lot of things in this business.

I talked to the patrol guy acting as our spokesman. Apparently, before he had a chance to run everything by them, someone else did and probably **** talked them because THEY don't like the idea.

This place makes me wanna open a business and GTFO of LE.

Figures the Tri-Spec stuff will fade.

What a bunch of dumbasses.

DaBigBR
04-26-2011, 20:35
I talked to the patrol guy acting as our spokesman. Apparently, before he had a chance to run everything by them, someone else did and probably **** talked them because THEY don't like the idea.

This place makes me wanna open a business and GTFO of LE.

Figures the Tri-Spec stuff will fade.

What a bunch of dumbasses.

And yet I'm sure that it doesn't even begin to compete with my place.

Morris
04-27-2011, 07:35
You know what got the jumpsuits over the top here? Per the contract, the city was on the hook for dry cleaning patrol uniforms. They were looking for ways to cut costs and viola! Wash and wear = significantly reduced dry cleaning costs.

AggiePhil
06-25-2011, 22:45
Could someone please post some good photos of officers actually wearing these things? The Bratwear website sucks for photos. I'm trying to put together some uniform proposals and am having trouble. Thanks in advance.

Morris
06-26-2011, 04:23
I'll see what I can come up with.

bccop
06-26-2011, 10:47
You know what got the jumpsuits over the top here? Per the contract, the city was on the hook for dry cleaning patrol uniforms. They were looking for ways to cut costs and viola! Wash and wear = significantly reduced dry cleaning costs.

The city also pays to have our uniforms dry cleaned and insists on going with crappy uniforms from local suppliers that are dry clean only. They also switch manufacturers every few years that go with slightly different colour uniforms. I hate having pants and shirts that don't match exactly.

AggiePhil
06-26-2011, 15:46
I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks!