"LEO Only" ammo for self defense? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "LEO Only" ammo for self defense?

JJJJr Shabadoo
03-21-2011, 19:36
Some types of ammunition are labeled for 'LEO use only'. For example, I have some Winchester Ranger ammunition that has "For Law Enforcement Use Only, Not For Retail Sale" printed on the box.

I am not an LEO and was wondering if there would be any legal issues if I ever had to use one of these rounds in a self-defense role. Could/would some overzealous prosecutor latch on to this and use it against me in a trial? Am I better off getting different ammunition just to be on the safe side?

Thanks!

Mas Ayoob
03-21-2011, 20:17
Doc, you might want to check at www.handgunlaw.us under your state, to see if they've enacted some poultry-fecal politically correct law against "law enforcement only" ammunition, but I'm personally not aware of any. Most LE-only ammo is hollow point, which is illegal for street carry only in New Jersey, and not even illegal there for home defense. European Union countries are a different deal, however.

By and large, the "law enforcement only" appelation is company policy, not a matter of law. Some of the best modern self-defense ammunition, such as Federal HST and Winchester Ranger-T, comes with this caveat. I asked Winchester execs three years ago if they were aware of such a problem coming up in court, and they told me they were not. Frankly, I haven't seen it either.

Should the argument come up, my standard answer would be, "If the police determined it was the best ammunition to use to protect people like me, and our families, it was obviously the best ammunition to use to protect myself and my family."

So long as you've determined it's legal where you live, I wouldn't worry about it.

YMMV,
Mas

JJJJr Shabadoo
03-22-2011, 07:13
Thank you!