Ranger T-Series question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ranger T-Series question

outdoorsman44
03-22-2011, 14:00
Hey Mas,

I really enjoy reading your articles, and think you are a great asset to Glock Talk!

Anyways, I've decided to use the Winchester Ranger T as my carry load for my G27. I decided to purchase some 165 and 180gr boxes of it, and then tried to decide which one I shot better in my gun. But, I find myself equally accurate with both of these weights. So, my question is, which of these two rounds would you use coming out of the short bbl G27, if you were equally accurate with the two? I know the 165gr travels about 100fps faster than the 180gr, but the 180gr would probably penetrate more.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mas Ayoob
03-22-2011, 18:25
I'm partial to the 165 grain, myself.
best,
Mas

outdoorsman44
03-22-2011, 23:18
Mas,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it! When you say that you like the 165gr Ranger T, is it because of the extra fps than the 180gr?

Also, while I'm asking you about good carry ammo, what do you think of the HST? Would you prefer the HST or the Ranger T if you had a choice?

Thanks again, Mas. I hear great things about both of these loads, but figured I wanted to hear what someone like you prefer, because I hold your words and advice very highly! You are the best person to ask about these things. Thanks again, Mas, and I appreciate all of your help!

Outdoorsman44

Mas Ayoob
03-23-2011, 05:55
HST and Ranger-T are both top tier loads, and I'm equally comfortable with either.

The departments using the 165 grain .40 in the 1140 foot-second range don't seem to be getting the cases of bad guys staying up with multiple solid hits, which we encounter occasionally with the 180 grain.

best,
Mas