Eye Dominance and Night sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Eye Dominance and Night sights

Long Tom Coffin
03-22-2011, 18:59
Mas-
Thank you for taking the time to answer this. I've been reading the posts on here for quite a long time and your answers have always been immensely informative. Thank you for all you have done to help and educate us.

Here is my problem: I've been instructed (repeatedly) train in firing with both eyes open. My problem here is that I am, for lack of a better term, completely right eye dominant. I cannot, for the life of me, bring the front sight into focus on my G19 while firing with both eyes open. I either have to partially or completely close my left eye. I've trained for months and months to try and get out this but it's not working. I've even sat in my basement for quite a period of time with an unloaded gun just trying to get the sights to work with both eyes open, and the gun winds up showing double in my sight.

So, I was looking at also getting some night sights installed. I have a nice little streamlight flashlight that gives me an excellent silhouette of the sights in darkness (and also positive ID of any attacker), but I thought some tritium would be a nice addition too. I was originally looking at the Glock OEM sights to keep it simple but then I started looking at the XS Big Dots too. I thought maybe having the big dot up top and generally "less going on" on the top of the slide might help with my focus issues. I'm also worried about potential accuracy with the big dots but I don't know how much of an issue that would be as can't ever really see me using my g19 beyond 15 yards.

Any help you could provide would be immensely appreciated. Am I missing anything in terms of possible training to get over these focus problems?

Thanks,
LTC

Mas Ayoob
03-23-2011, 06:06
Bullseye shooters have a long and successful history of using blinders on the non-dominant eye to help them concentrate on their aiming devices. Some of the top combat shooters -- such as the late, great Ray Chapman -- closed one eye to shoot. However, we're talking about competitive shooting here.

If you're looking at the defensive side of things, it's never a good idea to shoot with one eye closed. It's bad enough that we're more likely than not to experience tunnel vision under stress, without intentionally training ourselves to do something (closing one eye) that blocks 50% of our danger scan.

You might want to spend $100 to try the Advantage Tactical sights advertised here on GT. I've had very good luck with them on a G17, and the sight picture seems to be conspicuous enough that the shooter can align them successfully without a hard primary focus on the sights.

It would be worth your while to check at local gun shops and gun clubs to find a gun-friendly eye doctor in your community, and make arrangements for an examination with your unloaded gun along with you. The eye doctor's office is the place to find out if there's a visual correction the doc can prescribe that will allow you to see the sights without closing one eye.

best of luck,
Mas