Forged Frame entry options [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Forged Frame entry options

Grappler112
03-23-2011, 12:11
Other than a Springfield Mil-Spec or a Colt series 70 are there any other options for forged frame 1911s that are in that entry level price range

HAIL CAESAR
03-23-2011, 12:23
Not that I know of in a "entry level" (anything under $900) other than a Norinco, Colts, and Springfield's.

Foxtrotx1
03-23-2011, 12:24
Range Officer.

lsbbigdog
03-23-2011, 14:12
SA Loaded

38 Super Fan
03-23-2011, 14:53
Regents, Taurus, and S&Ws are forged too I think.

HAIL CAESAR
03-23-2011, 15:12
I knew Taurus was....but didn't think of recommending them.:whistling:

Forgot about S&W. If they are really forged...I don't keep up with them.

up1911fan
03-23-2011, 15:17
You maybe able to find a used DW in that price range.

HAIL CAESAR
03-23-2011, 15:21
You maybe able to find a used DW in that price range.

Doubtful....but you may.

Remember that the older 2009 and older guns all had cast frames. All the 2010 and new have forged frames.

Jason D
03-23-2011, 16:28
Kimbers are all forged.

up1911fan
03-23-2011, 17:17
But it's still a Kimber...

coryd
03-23-2011, 17:23
Kimbers are all forged.

I thought kimber used MIM frames. No?

:whistling:

Jason D
03-23-2011, 17:35
That was some bull squat rumor that some dink gunsmith made.
It is nothing but BS.

R0CKETMAN
03-23-2011, 17:35
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/9c7cee3c.png

Jason D
03-23-2011, 17:41
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/9c7cee3c.png

Those I believe have an investment cast lower.
Not that that's a bad thing. The important feature is a forged slide.

Grappler112
03-23-2011, 18:32
ok, I am really seeing the Mil-Spec as the best option I have right now, my preferences are for internal extractor (sorry S&W) tarus has too bad of a reputation, and heard to many bad stories about kimber

Cycletroll
03-23-2011, 18:40
I have a recent production Mil-spec and it is an incredibly well fitted and reliable gun. Only think it needs is trigger work, a beavertail and sights to be a perfect all around gun. Shoots match accuracy right out of the box and fedds everything i put through it.

HAIL CAESAR
03-23-2011, 22:45
Forgot about Kimber's too...damn.

up1911fan
03-23-2011, 23:26
What about STI, not sure if there cheaper gun's use the cast frame or not?? I think the Mil-Spec is your best starting point for a forged frame though.

HAIL CAESAR
03-23-2011, 23:32
STI's cheaper guns are cast. NOT that there is anything wrong with good cast.

bac1023
03-24-2011, 02:55
Range Officer.

I like the RO. :)

bac1023
03-24-2011, 02:56
What about STI, not sure if there cheaper gun's use the cast frame or not?? I think the Mil-Spec is your best starting point for a forged frame though.

All the cheaper and even several over a grand use cast frames.

Grappler112
03-24-2011, 05:29
I like the RO. :)

I have heard good things about the RO but I was looking for something with fixed sights, any thoughts on the Mil-Spec, both out of the box and as a gun to build on?

knedrgr
03-24-2011, 05:40
I have heard good things about the RO but I was looking for something with fixed sights, any thoughts on the Mil-Spec, both out of the box and as a gun to build on?

John Harrison has a fixed sight for the RO.

Here's a review by a member on his RO w/ the JH fixed rear sight.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328524

I have a Mil-Spec and is doing a project on it. And I like it. I had sent it back to SA for some warranty work, and they had replaced the barrel and bushing. Gave it a slight slide rail tightening, and a new disco. Stock for stock, I like the GI sight better. But if I had to do it again, I would've bought the RO and changed the rear sight to a fixed sight. But the RO wasn't available when I had bought my Mil-Spec.

Nickpisp
03-24-2011, 07:17
PM Flipper, I think he has his own forge.

bac1023
03-24-2011, 08:10

I don't own a MS, but I do like my Springfield GI.

BlayGlock
03-24-2011, 09:11
Just curious, but why are you worried about a forged frame?

bac1023
03-24-2011, 09:24
Other than a Springfield Mil-Spec or a Colt series 70 are there any other options for forged frame 1911s that are in that entry level price range

I'm not sure. It doesn't bother me much.

Its the cast slides that should never be.

MajorD
03-24-2011, 09:33
from what I can gather mim and out of spec small parts(disconnector,extractors) are a bigger potential trouble spot than cast vs forged frame. even Hilton Yam at 10-8 performance says Colt has some of the best small parts. I am a Colt fan and while SA has a good rep for quality and customer service, I like an American made 1911 so it is colt for me. They are not that much more expensive than the imports anyway, and deals can be found on used examples.
I also kind of think we should hear about companies that no one knows how good the cs is on returns becuase the guns work right to begin with!

Rinspeed
03-24-2011, 10:34
Forgot about S&W. If they are really forged...I don't keep up with them.

Not that it necessarily means all their frames are forged but S&W has quite the impressive forging facility and supplies a good percentage of the forged frame/slide blanks to the 1911 industry.

Grappler112
03-24-2011, 11:06

more worried about the slide than the frame, I am relatively new to 1911s (been looking for a while but still don't own) and I was someone surprised to see that some had cast frames and forged slides.
I will revise to forged slide, preferably in all stainless (or hard chrome) with fixed sights, a realatively plain slide with NO front cocking serrations, that will be good out of the box but capable of being built on, I am looking for high quality over features

up1911fan
03-24-2011, 11:13
I'd still say Colt Series 70 or a Mil-Spec.

Grappler112
03-24-2011, 11:18
I'd still say Colt Series 70 or a Mil-Spec.

I am more and more thinking that is where I am at, but I thought I would pick some brains on here for anything else I should be looking at/for, now I just need buds to get some in or one of the stores in my area to have one and have it for a competative price (they all seem to be over priced around here and I can't find one around here anyway)

bac1023
03-24-2011, 12:34
more worried about the slide than the frame, I am relatively new to 1911s (been looking for a while but still don't own) and I was someone surprised to see that some had cast frames and forged slides.
I will revise to forged slide, preferably in all stainless (or hard chrome) with fixed sights, a realatively plain slide with NO front cocking serrations, that will be good out of the box but capable of being built on, I am looking for high quality over features

Very few 1911s use cast slides.

Para is the biggest offender.

Jason D
03-24-2011, 15:56

Why buy a gun with a cast lower when you can get a Springfield GI for less than 6 bills? I don't personally have a problem with cast lowers, as I do own one.
I would much rather have forged though.

from what I can gather mim and out of spec small parts(disconnector,extractors) are a bigger potential trouble spot than cast vs forged frame. even Hilton Yam at 10-8 performance says Colt has some of the best small parts. I am a Colt fan and while SA has a good rep for quality and customer service, I like an American made 1911 so it is colt for me. They are not that much more expensive than the imports anyway, and deals can be found on used examples.
I also kind of think we should hear about companies that no one knows how good the cs is on returns becuase the guns work right to begin with!

Out of spec parts would be something to worry about, but not so much the mim stuff. I have a Kimber Target that was made in 1997-8. It's one of the old ones with the STI carbon fiber trigger.

It has mim parts and the polymer mainspring housing.
While I don't like them, they have never given me a problem.
I am sure they can break, but so can anything else.

Very few 1911s use cast slides.

Para is the biggest offender.

Para is on my permanent ban list.

dober-man
03-24-2011, 16:03
Does anyone know about the desert eagle 1911?

Jason D
03-24-2011, 16:55
I haven't even had a chance to see one of those yet.
Most manufactures that use forged frames will tout that in their catalogs.

Caspian17
03-24-2011, 23:19
Caspian is cast and few can doubt their strength and correctness. All of my guns have been based off caspian slides and frames and keep going... And going.

BlayGlock
03-25-2011, 09:09

Gotcha. I was just curious, because most of the time it is not a big deal to have a cast frame. Look at the Springfield GI :wavey:

Grappler112
03-26-2011, 13:30
thanks for all the responses guys, I was at the range today and looked at some 1911s while waiting and they had a GI and a Loaded but no Mil-Spec, that loaded felt really nice though (would have to convince the wife of a bigger purchase than I have been talking about, and convince myself on the front cocking serrations to pull the trigger on it though)

Jason D
03-26-2011, 16:06
thanks for all the responses guys, I was at the range today and looked at some 1911s while waiting and they had a GI and a Loaded but no Mil-Spec, that loaded felt really nice though (would have to convince the wife of a bigger purchase than I have been talking about, and convince myself on the front cocking serrations to pull the trigger on it though)

I made the mistake of buying two loaded models a decade ago.
It's not that they weren't good guns. I mean with the exception of not feeding short wadcutters, they were reliable. I just found myself not liking certain options found on the gun.

Namely the memory bump on the beavertail.
It seems to hit a nerve on my hand and tends to cause great pain.
Couple that with the crappy two piece guide rods that won't stay tightened, and the front cocking serrations.

I still have them, and have no plans to sell them.
I find myself enjoying more of a basic gun.

I really like the GI and the Milspec.
A few weeks back I bought a stainless GI. It is by far the cheapest 1911 I have ever had, but one that has all the features important to me, and none of the junk I don't want. I do wish I could have found the same in the Milspec so I could have had the larger sights, but I like the short trigger and arched mainspring housing.

I am not a fan of the ILS system. I may replace that with another AMSH at some point if I can find one with a lanyard ring.

Grappler112
03-26-2011, 16:38
yeah, I have been searching for a stainless Mil-spec and am just being forced to show enough patients to wait for one.
I want the better sights and the lowered and flared ejection port already there because it will probably be at least a year before I can send it in for any custom work, and I am not going to trust myself for gunsmithing (never done any) on my first 1911, might get into some minor stuff later on, but not willing to mess up the first one.

I guess I will just keep looking, or waiting for the email from buds saying they have one in stock

Jason D
03-26-2011, 18:43
yeah, I have been searching for a stainless Mil-spec and am just being forced to show enough patients to wait for one.
I want the better sights and the lowered and flared ejection port already there because it will probably be at least a year before I can send it in for any custom work, and I am not going to trust myself for gunsmithing (never done any) on my first 1911, might get into some minor stuff later on, but not willing to mess up the first one.

I guess I will just keep looking, or waiting for the email from buds saying they have one in stock

When I started researching the two guns there (GI and Milspec), I couldn't find any online retailer that actually had either in stock. There seems to be a shortage of them, or maybe it's just because of the 100 anniversary of the M1911 that has made the basic gun popular.

I might at some point send the slide off to SA for a set of the taller sights.
I don't plan to modify the gun in any other way.

There are somethings I can do myself, but I'll just let the pros handle the sighting options.