weak extraction on G35 conversion pistol with Lone Wolf slide [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : weak extraction on G35 conversion pistol with Lone Wolf slide

pangloss9
03-24-2011, 20:42
Hi all. I've put together a G35 conversion pistol using a G31 frame and a new G35 slide from Lone Wolf. I replaced the original ejector with a new 9mm version and put all 9mm parts in the slide and bought a 9mm conversion barrel. (The ultimate goal is to have a pistol where I can easily switch from 9mm to 40 to 357Sig.)

Before I ever shot the pistol, I cycled a snap cap through it and noticed that the extractor did not maintain control of the snap well. After the slide moves back a little ways, the snap cap drops down and sits on top of the empty mag. Upon shooting the gun, I experienced very weak and erratic ejection, though every round did eject completely. The same ammo functioned fine in my G26 and the empty brass ejected normally.

Since shooting the pistol, I've swapped extractors between the G26 and the conversion pistol and noticed that the G26 extractor is also unable to maintain control of the snap cap. Careful examination of the G35 conversion pistol revealed that the distance from the breech face to the part of the extractor that grips the brass was about 1mm greater than on my G26. I checked this with another extractor and found the same thing.

Basically the extractor just sits too far forward in the G35 slide which causes a gap between the extractor and breech face big enough for the brass to slip out of contact with the extractor. I'd very much appreciate any advice anyone can offer on how to fix this problem. Thanks.

creophus
03-31-2011, 12:12
Hi all. I've put together a G35 conversion pistol using a G31 frame and a new G35 slide from Lone Wolf. I replaced the original ejector with a new 9mm version and put all 9mm parts in the slide and bought a 9mm conversion barrel. (The ultimate goal is to have a pistol where I can easily switch from 9mm to 40 to 357Sig.)

Before I ever shot the pistol, I cycled a snap cap through it and noticed that the extractor did not maintain control of the snap well. After the slide moves back a little ways, the snap cap drops down and sits on top of the empty mag. Upon shooting the gun, I experienced very weak and erratic ejection, though every round did eject completely. The same ammo functioned fine in my G26 and the empty brass ejected normally.

Since shooting the pistol, I've swapped extractors between the G26 and the conversion pistol and noticed that the G26 extractor is also unable to maintain control of the snap cap. Careful examination of the G35 conversion pistol revealed that the distance from the breech face to the part of the extractor that grips the brass was about 1mm greater than on my G26. I checked this with another extractor and found the same thing.

Basically the extractor just sits too far forward in the G35 slide which causes a gap between the extractor and breech face big enough for the brass to slip out of contact with the extractor. I'd very much appreciate any advice anyone can offer on how to fix this problem. Thanks.
Send it to this guy:
www.drkglobalmfg.com

He does a bunch of Glock stuff and should take good care of you.

04-01-2011, 07:16
I would forward your post to Lone Wolf, and ask them for advise.

I am not sure that you really need all the 9mm parts, since your are using a 40-9 conversion barrel.

I run a 40-9 conversion barrel on my stock G-35 and it works pretty well. I say "pretty well" as opposed to "perfect" because: It will fail to extract a case about 1 out of 200 shots for the very same reason you have sighted, but my slide is a all factory Glock. I find the case still in in the chamber when it happens. It happens more often the more beat up the brass is -- reloads need to be done with brass that is in good shape around the rim. Mine has not malfunctioned with factory ammo.

I did have to run a reduced power recoil spring to make the combination work. I am not saying you should, but what I did was: cut the forward tip off my plastic guide rod and then cut 5 coils off the factory spring. Then I got a new factory spring assembly for the 40S&W barrel. You could just buy the after market guide rod and spring--I would likely go with a 11 or 13 pounder.

Jager1147
04-01-2011, 17:14
You might want to try increasing extractor tension. You can do this by replacing the 9mm bearing (black one) with a .40 caliber bearing (white one.) The thicker bearing will increase extractor tension, and the part is only $2.55 from Lone Wolf Distributors.

pangloss9
07-17-2011, 18:33
Hi again. Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered some .40 parts and tried those in the G35 along with the ejector for .40 caliber. The same problems still occur. I also e-mailed armorer@lonewolf a while back, but I have not yet received a reply. I forwarded the orginal message and an update about using .40 caliber parts to customerservice@lonewolf, and hope to hear something soon. I probably should have copied that address with my original message as the one time I've had to use their customer service in the past, they were impressively fast at getting back to me.

creophus
09-14-2011, 11:24
Any update on this?

voyager4520
09-24-2011, 00:47
The .40 extractor and ejector will work far better with both calibers. Which .40 extractor did you use? The LoneWolf .40 extractor, the one manufactured by them, was mixed up with their 9mm extractor for a while. They've since fixed the problem. The .40 extractor should have a 5 degree claw, the 9mm extractor should have a parallel 0 degree claw. See here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14630188&postcount=16

I believe this to be the same thing that's causing erratic ejection in newer production Glocks. There's about 1-2mm extra space between the breech face and extractor claw for the rim of the casing to slide rear-to-muzzle between, so the cut-out in the slide for the extractor is further forward toward the muzzle than it should be. I don't know if the same is true with your LoneWolf slide, but it sounds like that may be the case. Glock's fix for the new production guns that eject erratically is a new ejector which has a rearward tilt to help raise the case mouth earlier during ejection, and the ejector is taller top to bottom so it will act the same on the casing even if it drops all the way down to the magazine.

New ejector, post #15 for pictures: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369607

Apparently one Glock tech told someone the new ejector is for all Generations, while another said it's only for Gen4. I'd imagine and hope the latter tech didn't know what he was talking about. There may be a similar .40 ejector but no one has posted pictures of it yet. I have no idea if all of the newest Glocks or Gen4's will have the new ejector, and if so when the online retailers will get trigger housings with the new ejector.

I've had this same problem in my Gen3 G27 and come to the same conclusion you have. Short of using the new ejector, making a custom extractor to fit my particular slide seems to be the only way to fix the problem.