Accuracy advantage with a FL guide rod??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy advantage with a FL guide rod???

G20gunner
03-25-2011, 18:08
I'd like to know what advantage the full length guide rods provide. I have a S&W 1911 with adjustable sights, would adding a FL guide rod improve accuracy? The gun is still breaking in, and I'm hoping the trigger gets smoother/lighter with use.
Any input appreciated.

:wavey:

faawrenchbndr
03-25-2011, 18:16
My opinion? No gain with a full length guide rod, just a PITA to field strip!

4Baldy
03-25-2011, 18:24
A full length guide rod does nothing for accuracy or anything else for that matter.:cool:

HAIL CAESAR
03-25-2011, 18:56

Yup.

A full length guide rod does nothing for accuracy or anything else for that matter.:cool:

It does do one thing.....add weight.

knedrgr
03-25-2011, 19:22
These are the areas of fitment that adds accuracy:
1) frame/slide rail
2) barrel/bushing/slide
3) barrel upper and lower lugs
4) slide stop pin diameter

G20gunner
03-26-2011, 00:55
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Comedian
03-26-2011, 01:24
My Springfield TRP with a full length rod was my most accurate 1911. More so than my Ed Brown Special Forces and Kimber SIS. So it did seem to provide that pistol with better accuracy.

Baba Louie
03-26-2011, 05:10
My Springfield TRP with a full length rod was my most accurate 1911. More so than my Ed Brown Special Forces and Kimber SIS. So it did seem to provide that pistol with better accuracy.Would be interesting to see if a quick changeout to the old GI system would degrade any of your TRP's accuracy or if it's precision is based on the FLGR keeping the recoil spring aligned at all times. When coupled with other features SAI has in that build I'd think the FLGR was only one of a couple different accuracy points contributing to it's accuracy as knedrgr points out in post 5, and a minor one at that. But still and all... if it works, don't fix it.

Since you used the past tense 'was', may I presume the TRP is no longer in your stable? Or is it no longer your most accurate 1911, superceded by...?

Jim S.
03-26-2011, 06:22
My Springfield TRP with a full length rod was my most accurate 1911. More so than my Ed Brown Special Forces and Kimber SIS. So it did seem to provide that pistol with better accuracy.

I do not believe that the full length guide rod played a part in this guns accuracy.
Re-read the post from knedrgr. Those are the factors influencing accuracy.

Jason D
03-26-2011, 19:06
I don't have a gun left that has a FLGR.
They have all been replaced with GI type parts from either Ed Brown, or EGW.

bac1023
03-26-2011, 19:15
I'd like to know what advantage the full length guide rods provide. I have a S&W 1911 with adjustable sights, would adding a FL guide rod improve accuracy? The gun is still breaking in, and I'm hoping the trigger gets smoother/lighter with use.
Any input appreciated.

No accuracy advantage, but the extra weight up front may help some shooters.

Kegs
03-26-2011, 19:42

This exactly 100%.

Comedian
03-28-2011, 14:14
Would be interesting to see if a quick changeout to the old GI system would degrade any of your TRP's accuracy or if it's precision is based on the FLGR keeping the recoil spring aligned at all times. When coupled with other features SAI has in that build I'd think the FLGR was only one of a couple different accuracy points contributing to it's accuracy as knedrgr points out in post 5, and a minor one at that. But still and all... if it works, don't fix it.

Since you used the past tense 'was', may I presume the TRP is no longer in your stable? Or is it no longer your most accurate 1911, superceded by...?

I dont have any 1911's anymore. The TRP was a laser though. I had high hopes for the Ed Brown, but i felt it should have at least matched the TRP in accuracy. The Brown was totally reliable though, with no break in needed. The TRP went thru 400 rds and multiple FTF/FTE, before it started to run smoothly.

glock2740
03-28-2011, 14:30
Well, I'll say this much about all of my FLGR guns. Every single one of them will shoot a one shot one hole group at 100 yards. And that my friends, is pretty damned impressive. :thumbsup:

Nickpisp
03-28-2011, 14:35
Well, I'll say this much about all of my FLGR guns. Every single one of them will shoot a one shot one hole group at 100 yards. And that my friends, is pretty damned impressive. :thumbsup:

I smiff'd on all my guns and they'll do the same thing. :tongueout:

glock2740
03-28-2011, 16:10
I smiff'd on all my guns and they'll do the same thing. :tongueout:
You taking any work? Or are you booked solid?
:rofl:

Agent6-3/8
03-28-2011, 16:31
my opinion? No gain with a full length guide rod, just a pita to field strip!

+1...