Caspian slide on a Glock worth it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Caspian slide on a Glock worth it?

Walt_NC
03-26-2011, 13:05
I am considering a Caspian slide/KKM barrel for a dedicated G17 "fun gun". The goal is to be able to modify the slide to suit my particular tastes and to improve accuracy for gaming. I understand that stainless steel is much easier to work with than tenifer-treated Glock stuff.

My question concerns the fitting of the slide to the frame: will a custom fitted Caspian slide improve performance or is it impossible to get a "true" custom fit due to the loose tolerances of the factory frame? Would I be better off just getting a KKM barrel fitted to the factory slide?

Any thoughts or personal experiences would be appreciated. Thanks fellas.

Pierre!
03-27-2011, 09:08
I am pretty sure that the book "The Glock In Competition" details how to use a hammer to remove the slide slop and resulting movement that we get when pulling the trigger on a Glock.

I would be really surprised to find out that the Caspian or Lone Wolf slides were any different dimensions in the slide rails than the original Glock slide.

I guess my point is that you can save the $$$ and practice the 'Hammer Time' on a Glock slide or spend the $$$ and practice on the *new* unblemished slide...

Either way it's gonna be hammer time... :cool:

Hmmm... This does make me wonder if there is another way to perform a more controlled bend on that area... Hmm....

Walt_NC
03-29-2011, 10:03
Thanks for the response.

I don't have the tools or the expertise to attempt any kind of slide fitting. I would most definitely leave that up to my gunsmith.

I guess the question is this: If the barrel is properly fitted to the slide, and the lugs fully lock, so what if the slide is a bit loose when it cycles?

JasonC8301
03-29-2011, 10:17
Generally from what I have been reading, slide to frame fit is only a small part of accuracy along with the type of ammo you use.

Barrel lock up and barrel fit is where a majority of accuracy comes from. I have seen some old rattly WWII 1911's shoot very nice groupings.

I was trying out different loads through one of my 1911's and it didn't like Federal 185 gr. LSWC Gold Medal Match ammo, ~3.5" groups at 25 yards. I switch it to some new Remington UMC Target (don't think I ever seen 230 gr FMJ ball ammo with nickel plates cases from the factory) 230 gr. ball ammo and was getting sub 2" groups from the same gun.

Also to step back and reflect...maybe just take your stock Glock 17, switch out to some target sights, swap out the trigger to a 3.5# connector and competition trigger spring, get lots of ammo to practice with the money saved.

I went down the same road, not with a Glock but 1911. Spent almost as much money on the gun as aftermarket gunsmithing for the gun. Is it nice? Yes, but I should have bought a semi-custom from the start...