1911 Not Locking Up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Not Locking Up

Sharp105
03-26-2011, 13:58
I have a Kimber Pro Covert that has been flawless through ~1500 rounds. Well, during my last range visit it started failing to luck up properly every couple of shots.

My two guesses are that it either relates to the reloads I was shooting (They were my friends and they could have been too weak to cycle it properly). Or, that it's time for new springs.

Which of those, if any, makes more sense?

drc767
03-26-2011, 14:12
Have you tried different mags?

Skadoosh
03-26-2011, 14:25
lol i will never buy a kimber..seem like giant overrated overpriced POS's

Hokie1911
03-26-2011, 14:33

Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back this time. :thumbsup:

Eagle22
03-26-2011, 15:08

He is not the only one. LEO Agency turns in Kimbers (http://privateofficernews.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/nc-ale-agents-say-kimber-weapons-were-unreliable-www-privateofficer-com/) as Unreliable

Quack
03-26-2011, 15:34
I have a Kimber Pro Covert that has been flawless through ~1500 rounds. Well, during my last range visit it started failing to luck up properly every couple of shots.

My two guesses are that it either relates to the reloads I was shooting (They were my friends and they could have been too weak to cycle it properly). Or, that it's time for new springs.

Which of those, if any, makes more sense?

shoot factory ammo, more than likely it's the reloads causing the problem.

Nickpisp
03-26-2011, 15:48
Order a Wolff spring for 4" Kimbers:

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/KIMBER/Compact%20%26%20Pro%20Carry/cID1/mID32/dID413

Sharp105
03-26-2011, 17:32
Yea, it's a piece of crap because either the springs got weak or I was shooting a bad batch of reloads.

Guess that flawless first 1500 rounds was a fluke.

I know what springs to order (If that's the issue) as I already had them in the gun. My original question is more would both reloads and recoil springs cause lockup (Doesn't fully return to battery) problems?

BTW I'm using very good mags. They have also been flawless for a ton of rounds.

I'll prob order a new set of springs anyway. Thanks for the link

HAIL CAESAR
03-26-2011, 17:39
Recoil spring gave up the ghost or out of spec reloads. All is likely well.

Nakanokalronin
03-26-2011, 19:01
Like already suggested, get a new recoil spring. On top of firing the 1500 rounds there are the times the slide is racked as well to chamber, unchamber, drills... whatever.

Don't listen to the Kimber haters. They love to make a stink about nothing. That story posted is about some LE agency that suspiciously goes through guns like water and when they do, they get to buy the old guns. Whatever, you just need to do the regular maintenance weather it be the gun or mags.

HAIL CAESAR
03-26-2011, 19:07
Like already suggested, get a new recoil spring. On top of firing the 1500 rounds there are the times the slide is racked as well to chamber, unchamber, drills... whatever.

Don't listen to the Kimber haters. They love to make a stink about nothing. That story posted is about some LE agency that suspiciously goes through guns like water and when they do, they get to buy the old guns. Whatever, you just need to do the regular maintenance weather it be the gun or mags.

I must say...I'm not the biggest Kimber fan in the world. But I believe it is just a recoil spring that needs replaced. The 4 inch Pro spring will only last 1,500 or so rounds....plus Kimber Pro springs are shorter than normal when new. So I'd bet dollars to donuts that the recoil spring is all it is. Or crappy reloads, or the combination of the two. Either way it's time for a new recoil spring no matter what.

Alan