New to me today (and almost new) Colt Series 80 Lightweight Officer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to me today (and almost new) Colt Series 80 Lightweight Officer

canoesmith
03-27-2011, 19:55
Let me know what you think - did I pay too much? What do you think of the officer format - and this officer? Thanks in advance for your input.

I sold my Colt New Agent a couple of weeks ago, I just couldn't get used to the trench sights and had a few reliability issues. Looked around for a couple of weeks, thought about a Wilson Ultralight Compact Carry but the $3500 just is too large to swallow. I found this in Prescott AZ about an hour drive to meet. I have already put a 100 rounds through it and I love it.

Accurate, fun to shoot - everything the New Agent wasn't for me. Lightweight (24 oz unloaded) and it digested ball and 230g xtp hollowpoints with no difficulties. It has a Clarke plug and Wolff single spring, wilson bushing VZ slim micarta grips and smooth VZ aluminum mainspring housing.

Looks like it has barely been fired and seldom carried. I paid $700 private party. I am happy.....

Can you help me date this one please. Serial Number: LFA87XX Thank you.

HotRoderX
03-27-2011, 19:58
Let me know what you think - did I pay too much? What do you think of the officer format - and this officer? Thanks in advance for your input.

I sold my Colt New Agent a couple of weeks ago, I just couldn't get used to the trench sights and had a few reliability issues. Looked around for a couple of weeks, thought about a Wilson Ultralight Compact Carry but the $3500 just is too large to swallow. I found this in Prescott AZ about an hour drive to meet. I have already put a 100 rounds through it and I love it.

Accurate, fun to shoot - everything the New Agent wasn't for me. Lightweight (24 oz unloaded) and it digested ball and 230g xtp hollowpoints with no difficulties. It has a Clarke plug and Wolff single spring, wilson bushing VZ slim micarta grips and smooth VZ aluminum mainspring housing.

Looks like it has barely been fired and seldom carried. I paid $700 private party. I am happy.....

I think it looks great as far as price goes. If your happy with the price you got it for then it was a awesome price.

glock2740
03-27-2011, 20:32

Congrats! I like it. And BTW, you can get a better deal on the Wilson ULCc than that. :cool: I LOVE mine.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/NewUltralightCarryCompact2002.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/NewUltralightCarryCompact2004.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/NewUltralightCarryCompact2006.jpg

canoesmith
03-27-2011, 20:39
I talked to Wilson, they told me their pricing (full retail) would be the same as the dealer. Not true? I wanted flat spring, crowned barrel, extra dehorn, front tritium - $3450 if I remember right. It is the dream though...

Sarge43
03-27-2011, 22:36
I really like the business end on that pistol! I'd pay $700 for it, so sounds okay to me. Congrats and thanks for the pics!
Sarge

up1911fan
03-27-2011, 23:12
I think you did good.

20South
03-27-2011, 23:17
I think you did good.

:agree:

R0CKETMAN
03-28-2011, 03:20
You did good. Saving $2,500-$2,800 is always a plus..assuming it's reliable as I'm sure it will be.

With so many quality makers now I'm becoming more and more "Wilson price point" unfriendly. (no offense 2740, nice pistol)

Scamp
03-28-2011, 03:27
Very nice for $700.

stumpjumper
03-28-2011, 04:49
Great looking pistol-I bet it even shoots better than it looks.

Sunset_Va
03-28-2011, 19:33
The "old school" Officers models, especially the LWT models are not found often. I prefer them to the Defender,New Agent.

The LWT you purchased is even harder to come by, by the pictures it looks to be in excellent condition, so my opinion is anywhere in the $600-$700 range.

I owned one in the early 90's , sold it to a friend who still owns it. I had the frame hard chromed for durability, and to help avoid feed ramp damage.

Do consider purchasing some Wilson mags for your Compact, they prevent most of the damage done to the feed ramp caused by JHPs.

And also some of the standard magazine followers will gouge the feed ramp.

Just some advice , things I learned to be true.

Enjoy your pistol and carry Condition One.

canoesmith
03-28-2011, 19:45
I agree, I have 3 Wilson 8 rounders that I kept from my New Agent that I will use. I appreciate the advice.

JRB75
03-28-2011, 19:56
I talked to Wilson, they told me their pricing (full retail) would be the same as the dealer. Not true? I wanted flat spring, crowned barrel, extra dehorn, front tritium - $3450 if I remember right. It is the dream though...

You won't pay MSRP going thru a master dealer. I was able to get my last Wilson for around $500 less then MSRP by going thru George. Plus he has a layaway plan if you need or want to use it. Now only if Wilson would get the pistol finished I could post some pics.. Going on week 19 of the wait...... Nice pistol by the way..:thumbsup: