Moving To PA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving To PA

BlayGlock
03-27-2011, 21:27
Looks like we are all set and I will be officially moved to the Pittsburgh, PA area. My first thought was "HOLY COW A 5% LOCAL TAX IN ALLGHENY COUNTY !!!111!!!11SHIFT11". I currently live in TX where there is no state or local tax. Property tax is about the same.

Good thing I am moving to Butler County where it is only 1%.

Anyway, I know several you gents live in this part of the world and I was curious about two things. First, anyone know of any IDPA clubs not to far from the Cranberry Township area?

Also I am moving up there to work in our business development office for the Marcellus Shale play so I will travel all over PA, WV, OH, and some NY and KY. Where the heck do some of y'all get these awesome deals on 1911s? Any recommended gun stores I need to make regular trips to?

My general impressions of the area so far are pretty favorable. The people really aernt all that different from here in TX, down to earth blue collar types for the most part it seems.

Quack
03-27-2011, 21:38
rsxr22 (bobby) works at B&B Armory in Youngstown, OH
Stocker's in Warren, OH
Vance's in Columbus, OH (i've got a lot of deals from here.)
Fin, Feather and Fur in Mansfield, OH. They have a shop opening up in the Cleveland area.
Bud's & JetGun's in the Lexington, KY area. (bought a few guns from both shops)

thecableguy
03-27-2011, 21:41
Or you can follow Quack around, seems like he always has a deal fall on his lap.:supergrin:

20South
03-27-2011, 21:46
rsxr22 (bobby) works at B&B Armory in Youngstown, OH
Stocker's in Warren, OH
Vance's in Columbus, OH (i've got a lot of deals from here.)
Fin, Feather and Fur in Mansfield, OH. They have a shop opening up in the Cleveland area.
Bud's & JetGun's in the Lexington, KY area. (bought a few guns from both shops)

I can second Vance's and Buds. Also, Woodbury Outfitters in Coshocton sometimes has some good deals. I picked up my CZ 453 - not a 1911, but not one to be found anywhere in CBUS. Top Gun Supply in Chesterland has a great web presence and I have ordered from them before, but never been to the store - probably a good thing. Lastly, AIM Surplus is in Middletown, OH. Always worth checking out as well.

Quack
03-27-2011, 21:52
yep, TGS is nice, but only open on saturday.

Never made it to AIM because every time i'm working out that way it's either before or after hour's

if you are in the NW part of Ohio, there's Jaquas (Findlay) and ADCO Firearms (Toledo)

Hokie1911
03-27-2011, 21:54
+1 for TGS and FFF. -1 for Stockers. :supergrin:

Quack
03-27-2011, 21:58
also forgot Best Firearms in Painesville, OH and Atwell's not too many 1911's at these shops.

RJ1670
03-27-2011, 22:23
John Brown's Armory in Rochester, PA. It's about 20-30 mins from Cranberry.

Scamp
03-28-2011, 02:41
I fly out to Pittsburgh sometimes (oilfield also) and can recommend Ace Sporting Goods in Washington, PA. Not far at all from Pitt.
http://www.acesportinggoods.com/
I love it out there in Pittsburgh, PA, except for the traffic, and the cost of living, and the snow, and the Pirates suck....:supergrin:

bac1023
03-28-2011, 05:05
Very cool.

Welcome to PA. :wavey:

rsxr22
03-28-2011, 07:34
Ill get you an IDPA match schedule bro. Ive never ventured to the Cranberry area for a shoot, but there are monthly matches in chippewa and another club, lawrence county. Both are probably 20-25 minutes from Cranberry.

RJ1670
03-28-2011, 07:43
www.bvrpc.org

That's my club. We do IDPA 3rd Saturday of every month at 2pm. It;s about 25mins from Cranberry. Only 5 mins or so from John Brown's Armory :)

All the IDPA info is on the site.

BlayGlock
03-28-2011, 07:47
Thanks for the info guys. I have looked at the IDPA site, however it list the club by town and I do not know where those towns are and have not had the time to google them all.

RJ1670
03-28-2011, 08:00
Thanks for the info guys. I have looked at the IDPA site, however it list the club by town and I do not know where those towns are and have not had the time to google them all.

Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club is, for all intents and purposes, in Beaver, PA. It's listed as Chippewa but, it's only 5 mins from the main street in Beaver. John Brown's Armory is in Rochester which is across the bridge, also 5 mins away.

Google Beaver, PA and you'll have a god idea where those two places are.

RJ1670
03-28-2011, 08:02
Also, BVRPC butts up against Brady's Run County Park. If you Google that you'll have an even better idea where the range is.

Bob469
03-28-2011, 09:10
Im in WV myself... about an hour from pittsburg when at school ( morgantown )

I cant offer much in the way of gun shop's for 1911's... Dont see a ton of them around here...

Although if your in the eastern panhandle of WV area or coming through cumberland MD there is a great gun shop ( Valley Guns 2 ) right off rt. 81 about 20min from rt. 70 headed towards Frederick MD... Their a Kimber master dealer if your a fan of them... But otherwise always have ton's of new and used guns in stock...

PM me if you need more details...

Im trying to find a few more stores to hit up myself... and even more importantly Im looking for a good 1911 Smith too... maybe this thread will help me aswell

BlayGlock
03-28-2011, 09:51
and even more importantly Im looking for a good 1911 Smith too

What do you need done?

rsxr22
03-28-2011, 16:01
If your down to do some uspsa shooting as well, Im in. I know there some matches up by you and im willing to drive up for them. IDPA is alright, but its like crawling when comparing to IDPA.

BlayGlock
03-28-2011, 16:23
We'll see about the USPSA. I shoot 1911s almost exclusively and I really dont want to have to go to the line with like 6-8 mags.

Quack
03-28-2011, 17:39
We'll see about the USPSA. I shoot 1911s almost exclusively and I really dont want to have to go to the line with like 6-8 mags.

then get a 2011 :supergrin:

rsxr22
03-28-2011, 19:33

Most I have ever had on my hip is 5, well ya i guess 6, including barney mag. Shooting single stack is fun though. Actually even when im shooting a Glock, I still have as many mags on. Your only gaining 2 more rounds shooting production. Obviously a lot more if your shooting limited though

Bob469
03-29-2011, 23:49
What do you need done?

Im still figuring that out... Im new to 1911's and im looking to change alot of things on a Colt i've picked up and i'd like to let a smith take care of the more demanding upgrades/issues etc.