Help! Beaver Tails, Series 70 vs 80?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help! Beaver Tails, Series 70 vs 80??

BuckyP
03-28-2011, 08:15
I'm looking to buy an Ed Brown Beaver tail to try and fit to my S&W 1911. My options are Series 70 and Series 80. What is the difference between the two? I even have a Colt 1991A1 (series 80) and can't tell the difference. Series 80 FPS is activated by the trigger. What am I missing?

TIA.

Agent6-3/8
03-28-2011, 08:26
Series 70 guns lack a firing pin safety. Series 80 Colts use the trigger to activate/deactivate the FPS. Guns like your S&W uses a Swartz type system that operates off of the grip safety.

FWIW, S&W's are already cut (and IMO overcut) for a .250 radius grip safety. (as I recall) While this is the same radius used by the EB safety, you'll most likely have to have the frame welded up to acheive any sort of decent fit. Also, EB's are IMO, the most difficult to fit since they require considerably more removal of material than other brands and not the best palce to start if this is going to be your first.

Not trying to discourage you, just wanting to make sure you know what you're getting into.:wavey:

EDIT: to actually answer your question. A Series 80 GS will have a narrower arm so that it doesn't interfere with the FPS lever that contacts the trigger.

BuckyP
03-28-2011, 08:35
EDIT: to actually answer your question. A Series 80 GS will have a narrower arm so that it doesn't interfere with the FPS lever that contacts the trigger.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. It must be a slight difference. I compared the two (by eye) and couldn't see that.

FWIW, S&W's are already cut (and IMO overcut) for a .250 radius grip safety. (as I recall) While this is the same radius used by the EB safety, you'll most likely have to have the frame welded up to acheive any sort of decent fit. Also, EB's are IMO, the most difficult to fit since they require considerably more removal of material than other brands and not the best palce to start if this is going to be your first.

Not trying to discourage you, just wanting to make sure you know what you're getting into.

Hmm, I didn't think I'd have to add material. That would be a no go then. I did fit an Ed Brown to an STI frame, which required a bit of material removed. I did this one (below) without the jig. I was thinking about getting the jig this time around. I thought the Smith and STI used what is referred to as a Wilson cut?

It's not perfect, but good enough for a game gun, which is all the Smith is.
http://www.pollardfamily.net/al/ssstinp3b.jpg