Front sight not perfectly straight! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Front sight not perfectly straight!

smokintonye
03-28-2011, 11:17
Just had some new Ameriglo's put on my Gen4 26, and noticed after looking at it today that the front sight is ever so slightly off center. I have noticed that I am shooting a little bit to the left, but the 26 is my first Sub-Compact, so I figured I just needed to get used to the gun. So my question is.... Do you think the sight being off by that little really makes much difference, or is it just me needing to get used to the gun. It'a already Loctited on there. Any input? I would put up a pic, but I highly doubt it would show up on a picture.

whatsupglock
03-28-2011, 11:20
Give the gun to someone who shoots better than you do. If point of impact is still left, drift the rear sight. The front sight sits in a hole. You can't really move it left or right.

Now, if the sight is just twisted a little, you can carefully put the front sight in a vise and carefully turn the sight.

smokintonye
03-28-2011, 11:32
The last Ameriglo front sight I had didn't fit snug in the hole, but I put that one on myself, and this one was put on by a smith, so I am not sure if it was loose or not. I didn't ask. If I took it back to him, would he ba able to break it loose and straighten it out?

Goodspeed(TPF)
03-28-2011, 11:37
I would have it fixed by the "gunsmith" that did the original work for you.

smokintonye
03-28-2011, 11:42
I would have it fixed by the "gunsmith" that did the original work for you.
Probably What I'll do. Just thought that if it was just me, I wouldn't worry about it.

Goodspeed(TPF)
03-28-2011, 12:05
Probably What I'll do. Just thought that if it was just me, I wouldn't worry about it.
Keep us posted.

bentbiker
03-28-2011, 22:57
If I took it back to him, would he be able to break it loose and straighten it out?Yes, if he used red thread locker, he'll have to apply heat before loosening it.

smokintonye
03-29-2011, 06:12
Yes, if he used red thread locker, he'll have to apply heat before loosening it.

That's what I thought. It's not off by much, but enough that it bugs me. That and they charged me 30.00 to do it.....and I had the old sight off of it already! so it ought to be perfect as far as I'm concerned!

Goodspeed(TPF)
03-29-2011, 08:35
That's what I thought. It's not off by much, but enough that it bugs me. That and they charged me 30.00 to do it.....and I had the old sight off of it already! so it ought to be perfect as far as I'm concerned!
I agree completely. It should have been done right the first time. Where did you take it to have the work done?

smokintonye
03-29-2011, 08:41
A local shop next town over from me called "Ahlmans" I also bought the gun from them as well, and usually get good deals from them. I wonder if the guy who put the sights on actaully knew I bought the gun from them.

smokintonye
03-29-2011, 08:44
I have a guy out there that I have gotten to know pretty well, and maybe I should have talked to him first...He will usually make sure I get a good "FRIEND DEAL" know what I mean?

smokintonye
03-29-2011, 22:32
So I was going to just take my gun back to the shop where I had the sights installed, and then I thought, I could just give it a try, and save myself some money on gas going back out there. So....What is the prefered method for heating up the front sight? I have a heat gun, and figure that should work. My first thought was maybe I could use a soddering iron and hold the tip of it to the screw or the top of the sight, and hope the heat would transfer through it enough to loosen it. What do you guys think?

denn1911
03-30-2011, 11:16
Did your gunsmith use Red or Blue loctite? If blue, you shouldn't have to use heat.

smokintonye
03-30-2011, 11:43
He used Red. I've read a couple atricles now on how it's possible to loosen the Tritium vile in the sight with to much heat. I started to try to apply some heat with the Heat Gun, for a bout 30-45 seconds, and it didn't loosen th screw. How long should I let the heat stay on it?

smokintonye
03-30-2011, 12:48
Ok. I got the sight warm enough to turn it. I only needed to turn it just a smidge, and now it looks perfectly straight. I'm guessing the red locktite will harden back up when it cools, I added just a tiny bit of Blue locktite aroung the edge of the sight and around the screw for good measure. I won't be out shooting for a while so it should be good to go by then.

Goodspeed(TPF)
04-05-2011, 11:35
Now take that thing out and give us a range report. :wavey:

smokintonye
04-05-2011, 19:36
Definetly ASAP!