recognition after OIS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : recognition after OIS

sapper1911
03-28-2011, 12:14
Mr. Ayoob,

There was OIS (suicide by cop) last summer that included 2 members of my S.O. as well as 2 officers from 2 different city PDs. As far as the subsequent investigation, all was handled with great professionalism (thanks ISP, our Command Staff, and SAO) and it was rightfully deemed a good shoot.

However, two weeks ago our county's yearly award banquet was held were they give out awards for Lifesaving, Valor, and Officer of the Year. With the exception of one of the city officers who received an award for Valor, all others were snubbed. I latter learned that all the Chief’s got together and decided that no one would be nominated because it could bring back negative emotions for the involved officers. I do not know why one of the Chief’s broke ranks. I also cannot figure out why giving positive appreciation for the involved officer’s valor in duty would bring back negative feelings. By the way all went back to work fairly quick.

So my question is... Is there any study to show if awards and /or recognition help or hurt?

If you wish I can PM you an article on the incident for your studies.

Thank you sir.

Mas Ayoob
03-28-2011, 17:21
Thanks, Sapper, I'd certainly appreciate a copy of the report.

I'm not aware of any official studies that answer your question, but my personal observation over the decades is that the officer who has been forced to kill someone in self-defense benefits from recognition of his or her valor in facing a life-threatening situation. The important thing is making it clear that the award is for death-defying courage, not for killing someone.

Thanks for being there for your brother and sister officers.

Cordially,
Mas

sapper1911
03-29-2011, 02:26
Mr. Ayoob,

Thank you for your reply. I'm gonna talk with some members of our FOP lodge and see if something can be done that way. PM sent re the report.