Any Free or cheap shooting ranges??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Free or cheap shooting ranges???

Maikeli7
03-28-2011, 18:25
Does anyone know where a person can go target shooting for free or for not much money in North Carolina? In the "Triangle" area, it seems the only ways are either to join a club and pay a range fee (often pretty hefty) or find a friend with oodles of land (which has been a challenge). I want to practice a lot more, but the $10-$20 range fee for each time is going to make it impossible to train much, especially with the price of ammo these days -- even if I reload!
Any advice you might have is greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is a repeat of a previous thread!
:wavey:<!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

HotRoderX
03-28-2011, 18:29
Does anyone know where a person can go target shooting for free or for not much money in North Carolina? In the "Triangle" area, it seems the only ways are either to join a club and pay a range fee (often pretty hefty) or find a friend with oodles of land (which has been a challenge). I want to practice a lot more, but the $10-$20 range fee for each time is going to make it impossible to train much, especially with the price of ammo these days -- even if I reload!
Any advice you might have is greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is a repeat of a previous thread!
:wavey:<!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

I am in Florida but have a suggestion Check with wild life and game website for north Carolina. I know here in Florida we have a few free ranges that are public land that any one can go to. Only catch is no RO on duty but still free is free.

website for florida http://myfwc.com/

Maikeli7
03-28-2011, 18:38
I am in Florida but have a suggestion Check with wild life and game website for north Carolina. I know here in Florida we have a few free ranges that are public land that any one can go to. Only catch is no RO on duty but still free is free.

website for florida http://myfwc.com/]

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, from what I have found out, it looks like all game land is only for hunting, and target shooting is not allowed. I called up the game lands people and they couldn't think of one county where target shooting was allowed on game land. However, you are right in that some states do have free places. When I lived in Hawaii on Oahu, there was a free target range over at Koko Head. My bro still goes there from time to time. I wish we had something like that here in NC.
Thanks again.
The search continues!

Eagle22
03-30-2011, 15:41
$10 to $20 for inside range is the norm.

I shoot at two ranges, one off Tryon Road S. Raleigh and one off New Market in semi N. Raleigh.

Or what do you live on? Do you know any local farmers ?

The other things is if you shoot that much, how much do you need to improve? or no offense are you that bad of a shooter?

Spending $80 for a hour of coaching may be a better choice of money vs shooting 100s of rounds each week.

Or spend some time and money with an IPDA shoot class.

Might be better to spend an hour of perfect shooting with a coach then 5 hours just slinging lead.

Maikeli7
03-30-2011, 20:13
$10 to $20 for inside range is the norm.

I shoot at two ranges, one off Tryon Road S. Raleigh and one off New Market in semi N. Raleigh.

Or what do you live on? Do you know any local farmers ?

The other things is if you shoot that much, how much do you need to improve? or no offense are you that bad of a shooter?

Spending $80 for a hour of coaching may be a better choice of money vs shooting 100s of rounds each week.

Or spend some time and money with an IPDA shoot class.

Might be better to spend an hour of perfect shooting with a coach then 5 hours just slinging lead.
It isn't a question of being a bad shooter.
I can shoot the pubes off a flea, if you must know.:rofl:
I want to practice more because I love it, and I want to get better at long ranges, short ranges, with different targets, in different scenarios and such (like IDPA), and maybe even shoot in a match. All of this takes access to a place where I can shoot and not have to spend an arm and a leg.
Right now Personal Defense on Tryon is where I go. Drake Landing in F-V is good too, but it is more expensive.
Still looking for a friend with land in the Angier area.
You know what I wish I had? A setup like Hickok45. If you don't know who he is, check him out on Youtube.
He practices every day and he is a crack shot.

Eagle22
03-31-2011, 05:46
Understand.

Yup would love to have a set up like Hickok locally.

Eagle 1 up off of New Market is $10 for indoor range time.

Time to buy some land then.

toshbar
04-10-2011, 16:34
Come shoot zombies with ZSA. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17151524#post17151524

It's a $15 admin/range fee per shoot. It's not a lot of shooting, but you can watch some of the people there and talk to them to learn more than you would in 5 years of shooting by yourself. I am a poor college kid and I try to go to as many as I can. We just had one last night that was 4 stages, ~100 rounds.

Eagle22
04-11-2011, 16:29
Come shoot zombies with ZSA. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17151524#post17151524

It's a $15 admin/range fee per shoot. It's not a lot of shooting, but you can watch some of the people there and talk to them to learn more than you would in 5 years of shooting by yourself. I am a poor college kid and I try to go to as many as I can. We just had one last night that was 4 stages, ~100 rounds.

Cool

i am going to head over to Eagle 1 tomorrow some time. Have a new 1911 to put through its paces for the first time.

Maikeli7
04-11-2011, 18:53

Thanks! Sounds like a plan.:cool: