Minimum level recommended for body armor for non-LEO [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Minimum level recommended for body armor for non-LEO

CDR_Glock
03-30-2011, 13:00
I have a Level 3A vest. However, a recent question on this forum raised the question in my mind: What level of protection do you recommend for the average citizen who is not in law enforcement? What circumstances do you recommend a person needing a vest? Thanks, as always.

Rick

Mas Ayoob
03-31-2011, 05:39
For the private citizen, a vest in the bedroom where it can be quickly thrown on makes sense. Same reason most of us here keep a gun in the bedroom: the possibility of an intruder with a gun invading the home.

Actually wearing on the street? Makes sense if you're in a high risk job, are a stalking victim, etc. One more protective layer under the leathers if you ride a motorcycle. In deep cold weather, one more windbreaking layer, that stops more than the cold. Certain applications for firearms instructors as well.

Set against a wall, the vest is a safety net/backstop for dry fire, or for clearing a firearm with a round that's stuck in the chamber, etc. Can similarly act as a bullet catcher, like a clearing barrel, for one extra margin of safety when loading/unloading firearms in the home.

I wouldn't go below level IIa, personally.

best,
Mas

CDR_Glock
04-06-2011, 05:46
Thanks, Mas.

Rick