LCI install [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LCI install

DWentz744
03-31-2011, 13:43
Anyone find a problem going from a NLCI to a LCI?

We are in the process of upgrading our old Dept 23s (and it includes the change to a LCI and appropriate bearing), and the LCI just doesn't want to seat properly. The rear part just won't go where it's supposed to. Took an hour to get two done! Been to the armorers class 3x. Feel like a moron.

What am I doing wrong??? :steamed:

Dave.1
03-31-2011, 14:05
I know that the older extractors were for slides that had the 90' (degree) Breach Face and Cut and the new for the 15' Cut. That's about all I can figure.

I've got a 2009 Armorer's Manual and it's on page 90.

Let us know what you find out.

Dave

cciman
03-31-2011, 20:16
You cannot put a LCI into a non-LCI gun. They do not interchange. In order to do this you have to mill the slide to accept the updated LCI setup.

Call Glock, they can provide this service for a fee.

I personally do not like the LCI-- too subtle to trust, my opinion.

DWentz744
03-31-2011, 20:34
These are from around 2000. They have the 15' cut like the new LCI part. They are supposed to just drop in. They aren't.... Well... two did.

DWentz744
04-03-2011, 17:49
anyone???

cciman
04-05-2011, 20:51
2 out of how many. How do those 2 differ from the others- can you see where the issue is?

These are from around 2000. They have the 15' cut like the new LCI part. They are supposed to just drop in. They aren't.... Well... two did.

DWentz744
04-09-2011, 07:58
I grabbed 10 to start with. Only two fit, and it took alot of wiggling to get em in. They all appear to fit... they just won't go in easily. Once in they appear to function correctly... visually anyway. I just can't see what the issue is.

bentbiker
04-09-2011, 12:57
Only two fit, and it took alot of wiggling to get em in. They all appear to fit... they just won't go in easily. I just can't see what the issue is.
I don't know if this could be the same issue as with the 9mm models, but as of about 1/1/10, the extractors changed and they, too, can be a pain to get in and out, until they wear-in a bit during shooting. In the case of the 9mm, you can see the difference when viewed from the side, in the gun. The top edge of the new ones show a dip in the middle vs the earlier models. I've wondered whether the slight change was possibly the result of a manufacturing process change -- possibly a switch to MIM. With the 9mm, there is a lot of evidence that this change is a big part (all?) of the issue with FTE's in the Gen4's. Wonder whether they have now made a similar change to the .40 extractors.

cciman
04-09-2011, 15:16
Whoa...!
What evidence? Are you conjecturing that the extractors are out of tolerance specs? I think the majority of problems in the Gen4 9mm are the from the recoil assembly. These guns will probably work fine with a Gen3 spring and a adapter.

To the OP: once again, are you sure the cut angle is correct, and your guns can take the LCI? Did you also change out the spring loaded bearing and spring to the new variety to match the new LCI (not that that will affect how the extractor drops in)?

I've wondered whether the slight change was possibly the result of a manufacturing process change -- possibly a switch to MIM. With the 9mm, there is a lot of evidence that this change is a big part (all?) of the issue with FTE's in the Gen4's. Wonder whether they have now made a similar change to the .40 extractors.

bentbiker
04-09-2011, 16:04
Whoa...!
What evidence? Are you conjecturing that the extractors are out of tolerance specs? I think the majority of problems in the Gen4 9mm are the from the recoil assembly. These guns will probably work fine with a Gen3 spring and a adapter.
Surprised you haven't seen any of the threads on this. See http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329029 . It is a multi-page thread with links to other threads that will bring you up to speed.

I have maintained for some time that switching to lighter springs is merely a workaround for whatever the real problem is. Even the lighter springs don't always solve things, but a switch to the older extractors (or the brand new numbered versions?) have produced immediate and significant improvements. I have no way of knowing what the tolerance specs are on the extractors or whether they are exceeded by the 2010 version, but switching to pieces made before 1/10 has solved the case-in-the-face problems for some and eliminated FTE's for others.

cciman
04-09-2011, 22:54
Lot of web chatter, suppositions, and conjectures does not equal evidence. Vitamin C is still unproven for colds too.

Also unclear how significant this Gen4 FTE issue actually is. There is no denominator to this equation. Lots of thread talk and discussion participation, but I get the impression that many of the posters don't even own or have personal experience with the Gen4. Same with the G30SF discussion(s).

After reading some of those threads, it seems to me to be far from controlled situations to actually make any conclusion.

DWentz744
04-10-2011, 18:31
The angle is correct... these guns should take the LCI. The bearing has been changed. The fact that two went in (albeit with lots of fiddling) tells me they may not have been manufactured to the correct tolerances. ???

Bentbiker, these do have the dip in the middle...

DWentz744
04-10-2011, 18:38
Forgot to add!!! Tried installing one from this shipment (yes, the correct PN) in a 17... same issue. It FINALLY went in but then I couldn't get it out. It too has the dip in the middle. I finally was able to get it out... left it out... just didn't seem right so I wasn't comfortable leaving it in.