Metro Arms 1911 (my findings) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Metro Arms 1911 (my findings)

madecov
03-31-2011, 14:36
I had ordered a Metro Arms American Classic II 5" in hard chrome through a distributor.
The gun arrived and looked great. I figured it was a great value for the money spent and the few reviews I could find seemed to be positive.

Well, examining the gun I found the following

Slide to frame fit is excellent, trigger is very very good
but

Extractor Clocking
Poor barrel fit, possible incorrect feed ramp angle.
Only the provided ACT magazine would fit (Les Baer, Wilson, Mcormick and Colt magazines will not lock in)

When hand feeding from the magazine all rounds take a nose dive into the feed ramp and the gun will not chamber a round unless it is from a single round in the magazine.

I contact the distributor and have the gun exchanged for a second one.

Second gun has a non clocking extractor but all of the rest of the issues are identical.

Gun will be sent to factory service for repair along with my magazines. But I will not ever recommend, sell or stock any of these products again.

I have also sent an e mail to both the importer and manufacturer. I doubt I will receive a response.

bac1023
03-31-2011, 14:39
That's disappointing to hear.

madecov
03-31-2011, 14:47
Considering I can stock the Citadel at $100.00 less but in Blue It is an issue the Importer and Manufacturer need to address.

JoshuaC
03-31-2011, 16:40
Back when shopping for a 1911, I came across the metro arms line, and never saw too many complaints with them. Maybe it's the chrome models?

FLIPPER 348
03-31-2011, 16:57
[QUOTE=madecov;17142909
Gun will be sent to factory service for repair along with my magazines. But I will not ever recommend, sell or stock any of these products again.

I have also sent an e mail to both the importer and manufacturer. I doubt I will receive a response.[/QUOTE]

did you attempt to fire them??

madecov
03-31-2011, 16:59
Back when shopping for a 1911, I came across the metro arms line, and never saw too many complaints with them. Maybe it's the chrome models?

Possible, but why would the chrome models be different from a blued model? The basic slide and frame starts the same.

michael t
03-31-2011, 18:48
Sorry your having a problem Their not big on mail so I will try to help you. Here what you do
I am in admin and moderator on Eagle board go to

http://http://www.bersa.com/forum/ join and send a PM to BersaSales explaining you problem. He will help you on this matter he's like #2 at Eagle..
If you need me for any thing else you can reach me at http://bersachat.com That's my board
Also if you send in Use the warranty center in La. Name slips me at this sec. He does great work. My 2nd choice be Co gun works in Co.

Please do this I will go their and give him a heads up So he will be looking for your PM.

If your going to the NRA convention drop by Bersa booth we all will be their .

FXD
03-31-2011, 18:53
I had ordered a Metro Arms American Classic II 5" in hard chrome through a distributor.
The gun arrived and looked great. I figured it was a great value for the money spent and the few reviews I could find seemed to be positive.

Well, examining the gun I found the following

Slide to frame fit is excellent, trigger is very very good
but

Extractor Clocking
Poor barrel fit, possible incorrect feed ramp angle.
Only the provided ACT magazine would fit (Les Baer, Wilson, Mcormick and Colt magazines will not lock in)

When hand feeding from the magazine all rounds take a nose dive into the feed ramp and the gun will not chamber a round unless it is from a single round in the magazine.

I contact the distributor and have the gun exchanged for a second one.

Second gun has a non clocking extractor but all of the rest of the issues are identical.

I have also sent an e mail to both the importer and manufacturer. I doubt I will receive a response.

I had the very same issues with my blued Metro Arms Commander, not real happy about it.

madecov
03-31-2011, 18:59
I had the very same issues with my blued Metro Arms Commander, not real happy about it.

How was yours resolved?

madecov
03-31-2011, 19:00
Sorry your having a problem Their not big on mail so I will try to help you. Here what you do

http://http://www.bersa.com/forum/ join and send a PM to BersaSales explaining you problem. He will help you on this matter he's like #2 at Eagle..
If you need me for any thing else you can reach me at http://bersachat.com That's my board
Also if you send in Use the warranty center in La. Name slips me at this sec. He does great work. My 2nd choice be Co gun works in Co.

Please do this I will go their and give him a heads up So he will be looking for your PM.

Thanks

madecov
03-31-2011, 19:45
did you attempt to fire them??

Can't fire a gun that will not chamber a round or hold a magazine properly.

bac1023
03-31-2011, 20:20
Mine has been perfect, granted I don't have a ton of rounds through it.

FLIPPER 348
03-31-2011, 21:20
Can't fire a gun that will not chamber a round or hold a magazine properly.

It held the mag fine as you said and hand cycling in no way is similar to the actual firing of the pistol.

madecov
03-31-2011, 21:51
It will only hold the one ACT magazine. When the magazine is loaded it will not chamber a round. I can get it to load a single round and the would need to eject the magazine.

Definitely not correct. I have owned several 1911's over the years, if a 1911 won't hold a Colt brand magazine something is wrong.

FLIPPER 348
03-31-2011, 22:19
how do you know?? you never attempted to fire the 1911

madecov
03-31-2011, 22:49
Not going to get into a P***ing match with you.
I have owned numerous 1911's over the years including three Colt's, a Mcormick Custom, two by IMI and a Norinco. This just aint right.

If a gun will not chamber a round from a full magazine and it can only use one magazine then it aint right.

Hoosier Glocker
03-31-2011, 23:48
I'm also having issues with the American Classic Commander I just got. The Act mag that came with the gun will not chamber a round when fully loaded (the top round nose dives into the frame), it will only work with 7 or less rounds in it. The gun also has feeding/extraction issues.

michael t
04-01-2011, 00:00
The gun also has feeding/extraction issues.
We have a list of the warranty centers on http://bersachat.com as the Classic uses same . . The info should also be with you paper work that came with pistol.

The folks at Eagle want you happy and will do all they can.

madecov
04-01-2011, 06:13
We have a list of the warranty centers on http://bersachat.com as the Classic uses same . . The info should also be with you paper work that came with pistol.

The folks at Eagle want you happy and will do all they can.

I did join the Bersa web site and sent a message as you suggested.

I'll ship the gun for service next week, but I can't sell them to my customers.

Oaklands
04-01-2011, 07:22
I have the AC II and it has been flawless. Takes any mag (even cheap ones) and feeds fine. It is a very accurate gun. It almost sounds like a bad run or something. The good part is they will make it right.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles but Michael T is putting you in the correct hands. This is the first time I have heard anything bad about the Metro Arms brand.

I actually trust carrying my AC II more than my CBOB. It is much less picky about the mags that go in it. I am not comparing the 2 guns as far as quality goes, but if someone said here are 2 1911 mags and you must carry one of your 1911's into a bad area, I would choose the AC II first.

My CBOB won't even work properly with the mags that came with it, but my AC II works fine with them.

TxGun
04-01-2011, 12:50
Just remember that hand cycling will tell you basically nothing about how a semi-auto handgun will, or won't, feed during normal operation.

madecov
04-01-2011, 12:59
Just remember that hand cycling will tell you basically nothing about how a semi-auto handgun will, or won't, feed during normal operation.

Ex ept that the gun will not chamber a round when the magazine is full

madecov
04-01-2011, 13:06
My posting was removed from the Bersa web site. No response to e mail. Monday it will be shipped to a warranty service center but I'm through with Eagle Imports

TxGun
04-01-2011, 13:11
Ex ept that the gun will not chamber a round when the magazine is full

Have you put any rounds downrange? I think I'd try a hundred or two rounds of hardball just to see if it feeds OK during a normal firing cycle....see if it improves with use. I realize you're having problems hand-cycling the 1st round. But I'd get it loaded any way I could (except, of course, loading through the ejection port and dropping the slide...a bad idea), and put some hardball through it. No reason other mags shouldn't work, though. That's definitely puzzling. Are the grip screws protruding into the well...have you changed grips by any chance? Can you see where the mags are binding? The 1911 is basically a pretty simple machine. Normally, if there's a problem, it's cause is readily apparent. Every once in a while though...:dunno: In any case, good luck with it.

MD357
04-01-2011, 13:23
OH look, another 1911 owner that thinks hand cycling is the same as firing the gun. It does sound like you need a proper mag catch that will allow quality magazines though.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
04-01-2011, 13:41
Well, I hope it all gets worked out. That sucks.

Camu Mahubah
04-08-2012, 08:05
99 rounds through mine so far with no issues. I hope mine doesn't start acting up. It's so accurate that I feel like it's too good to be true and makes me wanna load up a thousand rounds and see how many rounds I can put through it before it chokes.

TTM65
04-08-2012, 20:50
Considering I can stock the Citadel at $100.00 less but in Blue It is an issue the Importer and Manufacturer need to address.

I understand your pain. I stopped stocking all guns except for what my shop builds as there are too many retail shops near me and when a customer comes in to buy / order a gun it takes time away from machining. I do however have a possible solution for you. Try these guns out.
http://www.iverjohnsonarms.com/
The shop is located in Rockledge Florida. I have been there for other reasons and to my surprise found out they are also Iver Johnson. Both the 1911's and shotguns were great quality. I actually bought a couple for myself. I can build any configuration of 1911 I choose in the shop but thought these were more than a good value for the price. They will email you a price list if you call them.

glock2740
04-08-2012, 21:20

Very cool post. As well as being one of the most helpful posts I think I've ever seen on here. :thumbsup: to you Sir.

slickab
04-10-2012, 18:02
Guess I got lucky or something. I love my ACII. It would not

feed the top round on a full mag of large mouth hollowpoints

with the factory mag, but it functions perfectly with Wilson

Combat 47D's and ETM's. The factory mag functions perfectly

with FMJ's and 230 grain HP's like Winchester SXT's. Mine is

incredibly accurate also. $482 out the door and I would not

sell it for less than $800.