Sometimes loading teaches you things you don't want to know. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes loading teaches you things you don't want to know.

GioaJack
03-31-2011, 17:05
After sitting around for the last six weeks like Jabba the Hut I decided I'd had enough. After careful consideration of my options, as you know all my moves are carefully planned well in advance, I struck upon a plan to finally get the new 1050 adjusted.

I figured that if I didn't take any of the stronger, mind altering medications and stuck to over-the-counter pain killers my back would be able to support a standing position for 5 minutes or so at a time. That time frame would allow for installing the low primer warning, lay down for a while, install the case low powder warning, lay down for a while, etc., etc., etc. See what a good plan I had. I'm a wizard I tell ya.

You would think that standing in one position wouldn't be that big of a deal, even with a fracture but a couple of weeks ago I lost a good percentage of use of my right foot. I had noticed that as I hobbled across the room on my walker my foot was dragging behind me like pulling a dead rat on a string. That wouldn't be that big of a deal by itself but being diabetic I have very little feeling in my feet and hadn't noticed that I had scrapped all the skin off two of my toes. I AM STUCK ON BAND-AIDS AND BAND-AIDS ARE STUCK ON ME! Sorry.

Anyway, after three or so forays into the room I was finally to the point of adjusting the PTX to bell/flare for my lead bullets. I was making fine progress indeed. Whilst loosening the hex bolt on the powder measure my right foot started to throb. Normally this wouldn't concern me all that much but the pain was very acute and the onset was very, very quick. Being the highly trained investigator that I am I knew that this was a situation that probably required further inquirer. If nothing else, I'm a curious little devil.

Making my way back to the couch in the TV room where I take my frequent breaks I sat down and removed my right, metrosexual ankle sock. When the ladies aren't around I tend to 'dress down'.

My previous chipper attitude was diminished somewhat when I was presented with two gangrenous toes. Bummer. Unfortunately I'm familiar with gangrene. About four years ago it developed in my left foot from a blister caused by an expensive yet ill fitting pair of sneakers. I spent six days in the hospital on IV antibiotics while every day the doctors reminded me that if they didn't work they have to take my foot at the ankle. (Can you imagine the post count I'd have by now if I'd been on GT back then!)

Luckily for me I was able to walk out of the hospital and didn't have to withdraw from any ass kicking contests. They did, however, have to take off the entire bottom of my big toe down to the bone. Looked like I had been nibbled on by a shark. Within a year everything had grown back... no harm, no foul.

A year and a half ago I ended up with gangrene in my right foot after a bout with frostbite that I hadn't noticed. In that case they were able to control it with massive amounts of oral antibiotics and I once again was able to stay in possession of all my digits. This pleased me to no end, I'm grown very found of them... to the best of my memory I've had them since I've been a young child.

This little episode seems to be similar to the latter episode, at least to my semi-trained eye. Knowing that if my daughter and son-in-law found out about it and it got worse I decided to call the doctor rather than endure the wrath of my young'uns. (They've been making me eat vegetables and fruit and other healthy stuff for the last six weeks. They don't want me to be happy.)

As I expected, the doctor wanted me to rush down the mountain this afternoon. That wasn't going to happen, the Big Bang Theory, CSI and the mentalist are on tonight. In a worse case scenario I'm not about to watch them on one of those tiny TV screens in a hospital room. I still have my dignity... and a huge satellite bill.

I promised the doctor that I be there first thing in the morning. She suggested 7:15, I countered with noon, she came back with 8:30. Since I normally don't get up till the crack of 10 I acquiesced with 10:30. (I won... I would have gone as early as 10.)

So what it the moral of this story? You can learn things by loading. You can learn to load safe, accurate and inexpensive ammunition and you can also learn things that may end up saving your life in very unexpected ways.

Next time your wife or girlfriend complains that you're spending too much time in the loading room tell her you're doing it strictly for health reasons. If it's required I'll be happy to write you a letter. :supergrin:

Jack

njl
03-31-2011, 17:18
Dude! You're falling apart.

Do me a favor though...put a little sticky note on one of your 1050s saying that I called dibs on it.

Don't you have TiVo or something so you can watch your programs whenever you're able to drag yourself to the big screen and maintain a position that allows view of the screen long enough to watch an hour long show in 40 minutes?

skselby
03-31-2011, 17:20
Glad you found it; wish it wouldn't have been there to find. Prayers for a speedy and digit filled recovery.

justinsaneok
03-31-2011, 17:21
Jack that sucks. I hope all goes well.

PCJim
03-31-2011, 17:37
I'm not familiar with the symptoms of gangrene as relates to feeling pain. Just very glad that you were able to feel the throbbing and pain so that you could determine the problem.

You might also want to have the maid to pay more attention to your feet than whatever she's currently concentrating upon. :cool:

Colorado4Wheel
03-31-2011, 17:47
My brother cut his hand at work yesterday fixing a "trap" under a sink. Needed 6 stitches. Then this morning he passes out and was rushed to the hospital. They kept him for a couple hours and could not figure out what was wrong with him. So the doctor came in to tell him that they were sending him home without knowing what was wrong. He said "fine Doctor, but before I go home can you give me some pain medicine for my hand. It really hurts". Doctor said, “Sure, let me see it” He had a huge infection that would have killed him. They gave him proper antibiotics and now he is feeling better.
Doctor are idiots but you should probably still get your as$ to the hospital now and not later.

fredj338
03-31-2011, 17:51
Hang in there Jack, we need to keep as many old warriors around as possible. WHo else is gonna keep all theses younguns in line?

Cavalry Doc
03-31-2011, 17:58
Jack, be good, last as long as you can. We all go eventually, the trick is to do it with style and class. Or barring that, at least do it your way.

dudel
03-31-2011, 19:04
Take care of yourself Jack. Best way to pi$$ off the exes, is to outlive them.

WiskyT
03-31-2011, 19:12
Gangreen? Jack, don't you think you're taking the whole Civil War re-enactment thing a bit too far?

ETA: Sorry, I meant War of Northern Agression.

labdwakin
03-31-2011, 19:21
Geez Jack... how are you ever going to get enough use out of your spare Star to trade it to me for that .220 Swift? Yer killin me! I needa sizer!!!

ilgunguygt
03-31-2011, 19:43
After sitting around for the last six weeks like Jabba the Hut I decided I'd had enough. After careful consideration of my options, as you know all my moves are carefully planned well in advance, I struck upon a plan to finally get the new 1050 adjusted.

I figured that if I didn't take any of the stronger, mind altering medications and stuck to over-the-counter pain killers my back would be able to support a standing position for 5 minutes or so at a time. That time frame would allow for installing the low primer warning, lay down for a while, install the case low powder warning, lay down for a while, etc., etc., etc. See what a good plan I had. I'm a wizard I tell ya.

You would think that standing in one position wouldn't be that big of a deal, even with a fracture but a couple of weeks ago I lost a good percentage of use of my right foot. I had noticed that as I hobbled across the room on my walker my foot was dragging behind me like pulling a dead rat on a string. That wouldn't be that big of a deal by itself but being diabetic I have very little feeling in my feet and hadn't noticed that I had scrapped all the skin off two of my toes. I AM STUCK ON BAND-AIDS AND BAND-AIDS ARE STUCK ON ME! Sorry.

Anyway, after three or so forays into the room I was finally to the point of adjusting the PTX to bell/flare for my lead bullets. I was making fine progress indeed. Whilst loosening the hex bolt on the powder measure my right foot started to throb. Normally this wouldn't concern me all that much but the pain was very acute and the onset was very, very quick. Being the highly trained investigator that I am I knew that this was a situation that probably required further inquirer. If nothing else, I'm a curious little devil.

Making my way back to the couch in the TV room where I take my frequent breaks I sat down and removed my right, metrosexual ankle sock. When the ladies aren't around I tend to 'dress down'.

My previous chipper attitude was diminished somewhat when I was presented with two gangrenous toes. Bummer. Unfortunately I'm familiar with gangrene. About four years ago it developed in my left foot from a blister caused by an expensive yet ill fitting pair of sneakers. I spent six days in the hospital on IV antibiotics while every day the doctors reminded me that if they didn't work they have to take my foot at the ankle. (Can you imagine the post count I'd have by now if I'd been on GT back then!)

Luckily for me I was able to walk out of the hospital and didn't have to withdraw from any ass kicking contests. They did, however, have to take off the entire bottom of my big toe down to the bone. Looked like I had been nibbled on by a shark. Within a year everything had grown back... no harm, no foul.

A year and a half ago I ended up with gangrene in my right foot after a bout with frostbite that I hadn't noticed. In that case they were able to control it with massive amounts of oral antibiotics and I once again was able to stay in possession of all my digits. This pleased me to no end, I'm grown very found of them... to the best of my memory I've had them since I've been a young child.

This little episode seems to be similar to the latter episode, at least to my semi-trained eye. Knowing that if my daughter and son-in-law found out about it and it got worse I decided to call the doctor rather than endure the wrath of my young'uns. (They've been making me eat vegetables and fruit and other healthy stuff for the last six weeks. They don't want me to be happy.)

As I expected, the doctor wanted me to rush down the mountain this afternoon. That wasn't going to happen, the Big Bang Theory, CSI and the mentalist are on tonight. In a worse case scenario I'm not about to watch them on one of those tiny TV screens in a hospital room. I still have my dignity... and a huge satellite bill.

I promised the doctor that I be there first thing in the morning. She suggested 7:15, I countered with noon, she came back with 8:30. Since I normally don't get up till the crack of 10 I acquiesced with 10:30. (I won... I would have gone as early as 10.)

So what it the moral of this story? You can learn things by loading. You can learn to load safe, accurate and inexpensive ammunition and you can also learn things that may end up saving your life in very unexpected ways.

Next time your wife or girlfriend complains that you're spending too much time in the loading room tell her you're doing it strictly for health reasons. If it's required I'll be happy to write you a letter. :supergrin:

Jack
I feel your pain jack. My back started going out on me when I was 26. I worked as a mechanic since my teen years in my uncles shop, then went to college for it and have done it all my life. At 29 I had two discs collaps and come apart on me. I lost all use of my right foot and only have about 50% of the strength in my legs I used to have. No more than 5 to 10 minutes on my feet at a time. Couple that with the fact that I am diabetic too, and well, it sucks. Keep going though jack, you only lose when you give up!:wavey:

skselby
03-31-2011, 20:31
In thinking this through, if the Dillon 1050 caused you to find out your toes were gangrenous then it may be possible to classify the 1050 as a FDA-cleared medical device. Thus, should you end up stuck in the hospital we could bring it in and set it up for you to use as, of course, a life-saving medical device. Heck, your insurance might even cover it!

The first step is to get FDA 510k clearance for the 1050. This is the clearance needed for any medical device. I have some limited experience in this arena, so I started filling out the 510k pre-review form, which is the first step in the process.

I'm stuck, however, on the first question. Being as Jack discovered the medical uses for a 1050, I'm perplexed as to how to answer this:

1. Are you aware of the submitter being the subject of an integrity investigation?

What should I answer!? :whistling:

(In case you think I'm kidding about the question -- here's the link - http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/HowtoMarketYourDevice/PremarketSubmissions/PremarketNotification510k/ucm070203.htm
)

EL_NinO619
03-31-2011, 22:32
God damned it Jack..quit playing with those darn evil blue machines. Every time you touch one your in the ER. to think you made it all these years, with all this wisdom and your still touching the oven, damn it, Its HOT, STOP.. Well glad you found it and hope alls well. Sounds like your having a blast.. :(

oneofthose
04-01-2011, 01:00
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

G36pilot
04-01-2011, 05:14
My best also Jack.

I realize you are now hours away from your reported trip down the mountain, but-

All it takes is the equivalent pressure of the weight of a thin dime on a nerve to remove 50% of it's effectiveness. When symptoms change quickly or muscle control is lost, any delay reduces the odds of regaining full function.

Currently waiting to see if I get motor control improvement after my 3rd time under the knife. Good news is I have plenty of time to shoot & reload.

Did you pick a medical facility with wifi? :)

FLSlim
04-01-2011, 06:37
How you keep such a good attitude is a wonder. Best of luck, Jack!

Zombie Steve
04-01-2011, 08:47
Why didn't you tell me any of this when we were on the phone last night? Now I feel like a schmuck.

Can Dillon make you a bionic foot?

El_Ron1
04-01-2011, 08:53
A Lee foot would offer equal performance at a fraction of the price.

IndyGunFreak
04-01-2011, 09:40
Hope you get better soon Jack...

IGF

Flipz
04-01-2011, 11:05
Hang in there Jack. Im already researching where to find some hot nurses for ya. Any special qualifications you think they should have?

Zombie Steve
04-01-2011, 11:49

:whistling::rofl::rofl:

Hoser
04-01-2011, 11:58
Getting old must blow.

It would have killed a lesser man.

sellersm
04-01-2011, 12:08
:agree:

Prayers on the way for you Jack, as well as those who attend to you!

fredj338
04-01-2011, 13:05
How you keep such a good attitude is a wonder. Best of luck, Jack!

Jack has a truely special outlook on life, gentle warrior. If you can find his book; "Cherish the Magic", get it & read it. I've always tried to live my life the same way, but never really understood why. We are pulling for you Jack.:wavey:

shotgunred
04-01-2011, 14:28

Don't you mean A Lee foot would offer good enough performance at a fraction of the price. Even Richard Lee himself wouldn't claim to equal performance. He would tell you the Dillon one was over built for its intended purpose while his is equal to its intended purpose for a fraction of the cost.

Zombie Steve
04-01-2011, 14:29
It's a great value!!!

Palouse
04-01-2011, 14:43
Jack has a truely special outlook on life, gentle warrior. If you can find his book; "Cherish the Magic", get it & read it. I've always tried to live my life the same way, but never really understood why. We are pulling for you Jack.:wavey:

Fred...thanks for the heads-up on the book. Amazon has it.

Jack...hang in there and God bless you.

unclebob
04-01-2011, 15:58
Jack it looks like you are back home or on a computer so what’s up.

shotgunred
04-01-2011, 16:53
I like to kid around as much OK more than the average person. But with all kidding aside quit messing around and get to your doctor and do what ever she tells you to do!

I just had a friends daughter die of MRSA today. Something I have had several times and never took seriously. Gangrene is a lot more serious. You have to take care of yourself.

norton
04-01-2011, 18:08
Jack, sounds like you need a pick me up.
I will forward Heather Locklears cell # as soon as I find it.
Take care buddy.

kshutt
04-02-2011, 05:11

A Hornady foot wouldn't seat all the way in the shoe.

kcbrown
04-04-2011, 01:34
Jack, you really need to fire your maid and get someone more competent to fill that position. That attractive doctor you mentioned before sounds like she'd fit the bill perfectly.

I'm sure you'll be able to entice her with promises of a free autographed copy of your book and advanced instruction on reloading (the Dillon 1050 that goes with said instruction is obviously a minor enhancement, hardly worth mentioning)...

Seriously, though, get yourself fixed up as best as possible. This place just won't be the same if you take off on "sabbatical".

El_Ron1
04-04-2011, 07:25
A Hornady foot wouldn't seat all the way in the shoe.

But few would admit it.