M696 4" 44mag [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M696 4" 44mag

CanyonMan
04-01-2011, 06:57
Typo on title... should be M629 ;)

Where is a good reliable place to buy one of these NIB ?

Not the mountain gun, but the 4" with the underlug and the heavier barrel than the mountain gun.

Anyone know of a good source ?

Anyone own one "exactly" like this and how do you like it? How well does it hold up to full house loads---- alot ?

I know how the Rugers do and hold up, and have a S&W 686 4" 357mag, and have had other Smith's, but not the 44mag in this configuration. So just wondered if any of you ole boys had some answers here ..

Thanks.

CM

Zombie Steve
04-01-2011, 14:43
I held out for quite a while looking for the same thing, then one day this one showed up at the local shop:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/DSCF2309.jpg

It had the hillary hole in the side, but that was an easy fix. I also went back to target grips as they felt better to me...

I'll be honest - I haven't beat the snot out of it with heavy loads. I usually push a 200 grain jhp about 1,200 or a 240 lead keith bullet at around 1,050. I have shot some full power loads that I make for the rifle and I was surprised that it wasn't more snappy.

I can tell you that I absolutely love it. :supergrin:

I would almost consider finding someone that can do a transfer for you and calling Smith to run one through the performance center for you. Not sure what your budget is.

CanyonMan
04-01-2011, 19:41
I held out for quite a while looking for the same thing, then one day this one showed up at the local shop:

It had the hillary hole in the side, but that was an easy fix. I also went back to target grips as they felt better to me...

I'll be honest - I haven't beat the snot out of it with heavy loads. I usually push a 200 grain jhp about 1,200 or a 240 lead keith bullet at around 1,050. I have shot some full power loads that I make for the rifle and I was surprised that it wasn't more snappy.

I would almost consider finding someone that can do a transfer for you and calling Smith to run one through the performance center for you. Not sure what your budget is.

I just drooled over the key board... haha

I really want a M629 4" real bad. I custom build knives (from time to time) for a hobby, so building a set of elk antler "Walker Texas ranger" grips for this M629 4" is what I want to do. Finding one is the problem. I got Smith custom shop M686 in 357mag I had mucho work done on, it is a beauty. I have a ton of 44mag/ 45LC Rugers, just always wanted a M29/M29-2/M629 in 4" or make it into a 4".

Hard cast is about 98% of all I've shot (as you probably know) sense I was a youngin. Now 60 years young. I just want the 4" smith (not the mountain gun) don't like that one. I like the thicker barrel and under lug like the M629, and want to build a set of custom elk grips in the "Walker Texas Ranger" configuration for them.. My project gun amigo ! :supergrin:

I run 250gr Keith bullets at 22.0 grs of 2400 through the 44's I have now, and would (in the smith) bring that down to 18.5grs 2400 so as not to shake that puppy loose. haha.

I just sold a bunch of glocks i did not like, to fund this project, so hopefully I'll find a M629 NIB and go from there..

Thanks for the info, and helping me continue to droooooool over wanting this gun. Huge gun show in Dallas in a week or two, and we will have to drive a ways to get there, but hoefully find what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the post, and hope to bring a positive report back here from the gun show !

Bless ya, and stay safe and watch your six ! No one else will ! ;)

CM
:horse:

bac1023
04-01-2011, 21:02

Looks great, Steve.

Zombie Steve
04-01-2011, 21:10
I almost dropped $900 on a dash 2 with a wide trigger at a gun show a month before I bought this one. The bluing was just too beautiful, and knowing what it was in for in my care, I just couldn't do that. I hope it went to a good family that will oil it and rub it with a diaper from time to time.
:whistling:

Again, I know they still sell the 629 non-mountain 4" and similar in a model 29, but mostly what I see places stock is a 5" or 6.5" 629 classic with the full underlug.

Weidman's Heil, Amigo (happy hunting).

Berto
04-02-2011, 18:47
I just have the 3" full lug.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2879/pizzashots006.jpg

I love S&W, but I don't see them as being the best choice for extended full power ammo use. Silhouette guys found out a long time ago that heavy loads really batter the clockwork- which S&W strengthened on the -2E and -3E and newer guns with the 29 and 629, respectively.
I look at them the same way as I would a K frame .357; they were made around the .38sp round as the N frame was around the .44 sp.
Sure, they strengthen them and metallurgy has improved, but more than few thousand full power loads will get you endshake and batter the bolt stops- more so if you shoot DA often. They just don't have the lockwork like the Rugers...IMO the frames are fine, but they'll eventually need a trip back to Springfield if you pound them often.

gatorboy
04-03-2011, 07:55
I've got the 3" Trail Boss and a 5" FL. The 5" Full Lug N-frame handles and looks perfect. recoil is mild. I fitted an unfluted cylinder from the TB on it and put the fluted cylinder on the TB. Full lugs look great with unfluted cylinders IMO. Where to aquire one? The usual places but a lockless NIB S&W demands a premium so make sure lube is handy.

CanyonMan
04-03-2011, 08:49
I just have the 3" full lug.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2879/pizzashots006.jpg

I love S&W, but I don't see them as being the best choice for extended full power ammo use. Silhouette guys found out a long time ago that heavy loads really batter the clockwork- which S&W strengthened on the -2E and -3E and newer guns with the 29 and 629, respectively.
I look at them the same way as I would a K frame .357; they were made around the .38sp round as the N frame was around the .44 sp.
Sure, they strengthen them and metallurgy has improved, but more than few thousand full power loads will get you endshake and batter the bolt stops- more so if you shoot DA often. They just don't have the lockwork like the Rugers...IMO the frames are fine, but they'll eventually need a trip back to Springfield if you pound them often.

I saw one like this when we drove into Mesquite TX for a gun show. It was used and 995.00 I quickly passed ! :faint:

Yours is a nice looking piece there Berto.

I got a safe full of Ruger hog legs, and been shooting them all my life, well 50 years anyway. I know the Smith's won't hold a candle to the Rugers and agree with all you said about that. I do have Smith's now.

I just flat "want" this 4" M629 and build my own custom elk grips, so I can say "I got one." haha. Like I said. Sunday go to meetin ! ;)

Most all my 44mag shootin which is EDC or the 45LC EDC, either one depending on mood of the day out here on the ranch. Most all of it is with 44sp, or lighter loads, and then full house stuff from the loading bench when I feel the need to "cut the wolf loose." Ha.

Would be the same with the M629. 44sp's and a few 44mag round every waaaaay great now and then. The gun wull last a long time like this, plus fixin one is no biggie any way.

It's just a matter of "I really want the dang thing for some reason" ! Ha.

Kinda like you wanted that good lookin pizza sittin in the pic with your gun, or what's left of it any way ! :supergrin:

Thanks for the pic and the post, and the desire for pizza ! ;)

Take care bud and stay safe !
Keep that good lookin hog leg amigo!

CM

CanyonMan
04-03-2011, 08:59
I almost dropped $900 on a dash 2 with a wide trigger at a gun show a month before I bought this one. The bluing was just too beautiful, and knowing what it was in for in my care, I just couldn't do that. I hope it went to a good family that will oil it and rub it with a diaper from time to time.
:whistling:

Again, I know they still sell the 629 non-mountain 4" and similar in a model 29, but mostly what I see places stock is a 5" or 6.5" 629 classic with the full underlug.

Weidman's Heil, Amigo (happy hunting).

Yeh, I guy I know came around a few weeks ago or so, and had a -2 in the original box, and in 95% condition. I offeredf him $475.00 (.25.00 more than the blue book says it worth) but he would not deal. Sooo0, there that went. It was the 6" or 6 1/2" barrel any way and I would have had it cut down to 4", so I really didn't mind to much.

This 629 is a bear to find. They are on Smith's web site and there has got to be one out there with my name on it some where. The Glocks I sold to fund this project aren't missed. Didn't need them and got plenty more. But I did set aside the $$$$ so when I DO come across the 4" Smith, I'm ready ! ;)

Just a matter of perseverance and time.

I thank all uou guys for pitchin in here, and the pics and help.

Y'all stay safe !

CM

Berto
04-03-2011, 09:44
Well then, CM.....you should get one.
Hell, you deserve it.:supergrin:

THe 3-4" full lug isn't half bad to carry either with a good holster.:whistling:

CanyonMan
04-03-2011, 18:43
Well then, CM.....you should get one.
Hell, you deserve it.:supergrin:

THe 3-4" full lug isn't half bad to carry either with a good holster.:whistling:

Would you please call and tell my wife how much I "deserve" this gun ? !!! :rofl:

Seriously, I hear ya, (about getting one that is) but I don't know about that deserving part. :dunno: haha.

Man I'm looking amigo. I don't want that dang
"lock" on the side plate though, but I may 'have to bite the bullet' :supergrin: pun intended, and just order a new one.

I am going to try "one more time," next week end to drive in to Dallas at a huge gun show there, and see if I can "find a deal on one.' If not, I'll try and locate a dealer and order the dang thing.

Closing question amigo's.

Who do you trust, and know of (dealer wise) to order one of these from?

Thanks guys. Much appreciate all of you ole boys. :cool:

CM

beckmurph1
04-03-2011, 20:42
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx:wavey:
Are these similar to what your looking for?

CanyonMan
04-04-2011, 09:53
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx:wavey:
Are these similar to what your looking for?

Hey amigo, I appreciate the link, but that site is not responding for me, for some reason. Or i am not smart enought to figure it out ! :dunno:

Thanks though !

CM

Aeroscoper
04-05-2011, 19:56
You made me curious to if mine were a mg or standard, after researching I'm glad to say it's a standard. :). If someone hadn't jumped on that Alaskan on the for sale board I would have put mine up for sale. You got an Alaskan for trade? Or other
.454 by chance?

Jitterbug
04-06-2011, 08:35
Hey CM

What a coincidence, after our last chat over on the 10mm reloader's forum I decided I couldn't argue with your logic on the 200 grain H.C. in 10mm vs the .44 Magnum.

The CBOB is back at D.W. getting some attention, I'll still load the 200 gr. H.C. but only for woods walking near the house where the bears are smaller and we don't have any Moose.

So, I've been shopping 629's, you can find the standard 4" 629 pretty easily on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica, but if that is giving you fits.

5280 Armory in Arvada, CO. had one a week ago for $789.00, not a bad price, you could do a few bucks better on GB if I don't beat you to it, 5280 is a good shop I've purchased there before and would again but I can do a bit better online.

I don't have the gun yet, but I've been working on trying to find some loads...I'm looking at the 250 gr and 280 gr. WFNGC bullets from Beartooth. Also considering Core Performance, it will boil down to the reloading data and who has what in stock.

I've pretty much decided on a Simply Rugged Pancake holster to carry it in for the those fishing trips with the larger critters up north.

Take care Bud, let's get together somewhere here to share some load data.

Jitterbug
04-06-2011, 08:40
Zombie Steve

Very nice looking Smith..unfluted cylinder on a standard 4" 629??? From the photo it looks like a 4"

Or is that a P.C. special? If so what was done to it?

Zombie Steve
04-06-2011, 12:35
Zombie Steve

Very nice looking Smith..unfluted cylinder on a standard 4" 629??? From the photo it looks like a 4"

Or is that a P.C. special? If so what was done to it?

I got it used, but my understanding is that it was a small run for a Texas gun store a few years back. The side says "Ranger - 1 of 300" with a Texas Ranger star next to it. It is a 4" barrel. Wish I could find more.

SHOOTR13
04-06-2011, 13:34
Just thought I'd post a pic of my 629 4"...she's a real sweet shooter with .44 specials and a real flamethrower with the .44 mags !! The Pachmayrs tame the recoil.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/Gunnutz13/avatars/MY%20GUNS/M62944MAGsmaller.jpg

CanyonMan
04-07-2011, 08:40
Just thought I'd post a pic of my 629 4"...she's a real sweet shooter with .44 specials and a real flamethrower with the .44 mags !! The Pachmayrs tame the recoil.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/Gunnutz13/avatars/MY%20GUNS/M62944MAGsmaller.jpg

Early morning DROOOOOOOL here ! This is it ! I will build my own elk grips for it, but this is it...

I know these won't hold up to the punishment the Rugers will, and I EDC Rugers on the ranch and have sense I was a kid. But man this is just (to my eye) a sweet looking gun. I just want it to wear when I go to town, to the cafe, and feed store, and all the places i can "strut around" some amigo's a little bit. hahahha. And of course shoot it every now and then ! ;)

Nice gun. I'm driving in to Dallas this weekend for a big gun show they have there, so ..... We'll see.

Stay safe, and put that gun away if ya see me comin. :supergrin:

CM

CanyonMan
04-07-2011, 08:49
Hey CM

What a coincidence, after our last chat over on the 10mm reloader's forum I decided I couldn't argue with your logic on the 200 grain H.C. in 10mm vs the .44 Magnum.

The CBOB is back at D.W. getting some attention, I'll still load the 200 gr. H.C. but only for woods walking near the house where the bears are smaller and we don't have any Moose.

So, I've been shopping 629's, you can find the standard 4" 629 pretty easily on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica, but if that is giving you fits.

5280 Armory in Arvada, CO. had one a week ago for $789.00, not a bad price, you could do a few bucks better on GB if I don't beat you to it, 5280 is a good shop I've purchased there before and would again but I can do a bit better online.

I don't have the gun yet, but I've been working on trying to find some loads...I'm looking at the 250 gr and 280 gr. WFNGC bullets from Beartooth. Also considering Core Performance, it will boil down to the reloading data and who has what in stock.

I've pretty much decided on a Simply Rugged Pancake holster to carry it in for the those fishing trips with the larger critters up north.

Take care Bud, let's get together somewhere here to share some load data.

Jitterbug,

PM me late Sunday. I got about 40 + years worth of load data for ya. :supergrin:

Glad to see your going for the 200gr BT HC in the 10mm. Hunters Supply is the next choice. BOTH are really great. Cast performance does no longer make the 10mm, (I don't think) but all 3 of these guys make outstanding HC for hog legs. So does Lead Heads. These are the "only ones" I'll use. There bullets are designed to pass clean through large and dangeruos game, and they do ! ;)

Talk with ya later

Stay safe amigo.

CM

CM

CanyonMan
04-07-2011, 10:40
BTW....

Thanks all you guys for the links. I book marked 'em ! ;)

Appreciate it boys.

CM

Jitterbug
04-07-2011, 12:32
Thanks CW

Good luck at the show...

Jitterbug
04-07-2011, 12:34
Gunnutz

Do you see a big difference between the factory Houge's and the Pachmayer's?

CanyonMan
04-08-2011, 08:02
Gunnutz

Do you see a big difference between the factory Houge's and the Pachmayer's?

I ain't Gunnutz, but YES. The Houge's have given Faaaar more absorbtion (sp) comfotr to the hand for me the the Pach's. ;)

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/0713001235-1.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/DSCN1549-1.jpg

Gotta go !
HTH's

CM

CanyonMan
04-14-2011, 10:35
Well boys, I got tired of trying to find a 629 without the internal key lock, so i went ahead at the gun show last week and bought a NIB 629 4" and just went on.... It will be fine. A few pics with my hand loads..

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/0413011654.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/0413011647a.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/0413011649.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/0413011655b.jpg

Well, now all I got to do is build my custom wrap arond elk antler grips, and I'll have what I wanted. ;)

Later amigo's

CM

Berto
04-14-2011, 10:43
Congrats CM. It's a good looking sixgun and I wouldn't sweat the lock.

Zombie Steve
04-14-2011, 11:17
Really nice.

...and those loads look serious. Have fun!

Jitterbug
04-14-2011, 11:56
Nice CM

Exactly what I've been shopping for, we have a big show this weekend...I may go if I'm not out chasing Turkey's. I'm not going to sweat the lock...

What kind of rig are you carrying that in?

CanyonMan
04-14-2011, 13:22
Thanks to all you guys, I appreciate it ! ;)
I like this thing so far. Won't take the place of my Rugres, but it is a cool gun. I can't wait to build my elk grips for it...

Later amigo's

CM

CanyonMan
04-14-2011, 13:59
Nice CM

Exactly what I've been shopping for, we have a big show this weekend...I may go if I'm not out chasing Turkey's. I'm not going to sweat the lock...

What kind of rig are you carrying that in?

Well I'm a real simple kinda guy, so I go with two holsters here for this big 629.

Look here: http://www.mernickleholsters.com/fc/fc13r1.html

Should say; Field Carry Model: FC13 REF1 Nice cross draw with thumb break.

Secondly, I use the Galco Galco New Half Harness , Very simple and very NON bulky, you never know its there, and the holster to attach to it is simply their horizonal holster for that strap.

Galco NEW Half Harness For Shoulder Holster System. Scroll about half way down. Make sure it says NEW half harness.

http://www.securityandsafetysupply.com/products-duty-gear/galco-8.html

The holster for it: Galco Shoulder Holster Component Model - S1H

http://www.securityandsafetysupply.com/products-duty-gear/galco-7.html

Works great ! I hate bulky stuff. These work well and the Galco system is really nice. I use it when "in town" with a number of different guns, G20, M686 Smith, M1911's, etc, for concealment. Really conceals these guns almost 100%. For easy to wear. No bulk no hassle.

Jitterbug... We got a cajillion Turkey's a man can chase all day out here.
BIG Rio's.

Here is a couple pics of my late Father in law. After 25years of guiding, I quit and only do it for family or friends now... These two Rio's were very big ! ;)

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/IMG_0099-1.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/IMG_0094-1.jpg

Wet your appitite ? ha.

Stay Safe All ! :supergrin:

CM

Jitterbug
04-14-2011, 14:15
Thanks again CM

You've been a lot of help with the .44 Mag I'm pursuing!

CanyonMan
04-14-2011, 14:28
Thanks again CM

You've been a lot of help with the .44 Mag I'm pursuing!

No problem-o. Glad to help. ;)

We were posting simultaneously (ha).

Jitterbug, check the turkey pics above....

CM

Jitterbug
04-14-2011, 14:41
Ah man...Turkey started last Saturday here in Colorado, we had snow today.

High winds the past week...I haven't been out yet...I got until May 22nd though and will go out during the week to a spot about 45 minutes from the house.

Our Merriam's are a bit wild, very quiet birds and few and far between, gotta work for them, lot's of hiking in the hills, between the Coyotes, Bobcat and Lion they've learned to lay low and be quiet.

They'll sneak up on ya from behind and Gobble in your ear.

We have some Rio's out east in the River bottoms, but got to put in for a tag.

CanyonMan
04-14-2011, 16:08
Ah man...Turkey started last Saturday here in Colorado, we had snow today.

High winds the past week...I haven't been out yet...I got until May 22nd though and will go out during the week to a spot about 45 minutes from the house.

Our Merriam's are a bit wild, very quiet birds and few and far between, gotta work for them, lot's of hiking in the hills, between the Coyotes, Bobcat and Lion they've learned to lay low and be quiet.

They'll sneak up on ya from behind and Gobble in your ear.

We have some Rio's out east in the River bottoms, but got to put in for a tag.

I've got the Rio's by the box car loads over the years, and 'one' Merriam. Never had the oppotunity to get the Oceola. Have realitives in Tenn, So I need to get there for an Eastern variety.

Well, Good huntin, and have fun ! ;)

CM

Aeroscoper
04-14-2011, 17:26
Purty gun you got yourself there CM! Congrats and have fun with the grip project, post a pic once you done!

CanyonMan
04-14-2011, 18:56
Purty gun you got yourself there CM! Congrats and have fun with the grip project, post a pic once you done!

Hey thanks amigo...

I'm growing kinda attached to it. The "Elk Grips" project will take some time. (I want the perfect look and feel "for /to me"). But, I will post the pics when it's finished. I've built a bunch of custom knives over the years for a hobby, and sold some as well. I want Just the right look for these grips.

I was inspired on this project by watchin to many "Walker Texas Ranger" DVD's. haha.

That is 'the look' I am going for. Just got to get the EL Perfecto horns. I'm in W. Texas, but got a brother in N.M. and friends there as well. So they will be on the look out for 'sheds' for me till I can get up that way. ;)

Here is a severly crappy pic I took with a cell phone of the "Walker gun," off the TV. not to good, but I see plenty enough to know what I need to know to build them...

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid__0330010025.jpg

Here's another cellphone TV pic of the same gun

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/Walker27s_Revolver-1-1.jpg

Adios for now...
Stay safe.

CM