Thinking about dropping........ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about dropping........

ravenkeeper98
04-01-2011, 10:45
I think the time has come. I just applied for retirement eligibility. 21 and done, now hope I can find a job.

TSAX
04-01-2011, 11:22
Good Luck, thanks for serving. :wavey::wavey:

If you base has the 1 week long TAP (Transitional Assistance Program) take advantage of it. Not sure how your state works but when I got out in CA, I had the option of receiving 6 months of unemployment. You could always use the new Post 911 GI Bill but read up on it.

:50cal:

JBnTX
04-01-2011, 13:30
I think the time has come. I just applied for retirement eligibility. 21 and done, now hope I can find a job.

If possible, stay until they throw you out.

You have a good job, why leave it just because you've been there a long
time?

If you don't have something lined up, then stay put. In case you've been
living under a rock and don't know it, we are in a recession and jobs
are few and far between.

Just because you were a "supervisor" in the Air Force doesn't mean you're
going to walk right into a supervisory job on the outside. Many, many
people that I applied with for jobs told me that, "the biggest problem with
retired military people is that they all think they're supervisors".

The civilian job market needs workers, so be prepared to go to work.

Things might be going rough right now, but you've been through the hard
times before and came out with flying colors. Suck it up and push on through!

Stay in there and continue to build up retirement pay.

I'm a retired USAF MSgt (Security Police) who made the mistake of quitting at 21 years.

There's not a day of my life that goes by that I don't regret getting out
early. I wish I'd stayed.

You're going to miss the people and miss them bad.

ravenkeeper98
04-03-2011, 11:34
JBnTX
I'm taking a leap of faith. I got wind of a job about to be listed, and I have to have my paperwork in to be able to apply. As well, I may be close to getting kicked out, the more I run and try to keep up to pass my PT test, the more my knees are screaming at me. All I have to do is fail 3 in a 24 month period and I start losing stripes, with 2 tests a year, and after first fail, you have to retest in 90 days, in just over 6 months I could be in serious trouble. If I get out I want it on my terms, not getting kicked out because my body is giving out on me and with less stripes I have now.

JBnTX
04-03-2011, 14:04
JBnTX
I'm taking a leap of faith. I got wind of a job about to be listed, and I have to have my paperwork in to be able to apply. As well, I may be close to getting kicked out, the more I run and try to keep up to pass my PT test, the more my knees are screaming at me. All I have to do is fail 3 in a 24 month period and I start losing stripes, with 2 tests a year, and after first fail, you have to retest in 90 days, in just over 6 months I could be in serious trouble. If I get out I want it on my terms, not getting kicked out because my body is giving out on me and with less stripes I have now.

In that case, welcome to the civilian world.
I wish you well my friend!

:wavey:

liberty911
04-24-2011, 12:56
I officially punched on 28 Jan, but was done working before Halloween. The 93 days of terminal were a life saver. It took me almost that whole time to start working. Now life is good. Two points I'd like to make. 1. Someone above mentioned that starting as a supervisor may be tough. Very true! I am bottom of the totum pole now, which is SO much less stress than before. It is refreshing, but at the same time hard to deal with. I look forward to being the boss again. 2. Unemployment now pays 99 weeks. If you can't find work, unemployment and gi bill can pay the bills until you can.

I knew I was done over a year before my time came(due to some serious injuries that put an end to my pt days), so I busted my ass and payed off almost all my bills. I walked out of the AF in a comfortable way.

Good luck!

DWARREN123
04-24-2011, 21:32
Use your GI benefits! Get some education in a field that needs folks.
Did me a world of good getting educated in the industrial maintenance field.

ravenkeeper98
04-25-2011, 03:56
Thanks for all the advise and well wishes.

I am Avionics Tech by training, but have been in the security field these past 5 years and there is a possible opening I'm trying for, with a few more possibilities open with the security training I have. Gonna go that route first. Good thing, is that I will know if I will be hired one to two months before I start any Permissive TDY/Terminal Leave, so if I don't get this job, I have a few months with pay to look around.

southernshooter
04-25-2011, 19:48
I officially punched on 28 Jan, but was done working before Halloween. The 93 days of terminal were a life saver. It took me almost that whole time to start working. Now life is good. Two points I'd like to make. 1. Someone above mentioned that starting as a supervisor may be tough. Very true! I am bottom of the totum pole now, which is SO much less stress than before. It is refreshing, but at the same time hard to deal with. I look forward to being the boss again. 2. Unemployment now pays 99 weeks. If you can't find work, unemployment and gi bill can pay the bills until you can.

I knew I was done over a year before my time came(due to some serious injuries that put an end to my pt days), so I busted my ass and payed off almost all my bills. I walked out of the AF in a comfortable way.

Good luck!

If you voluntarily quit a job you can't get unemployment.

liberty911
04-25-2011, 20:14
If you voluntarily quit a job you can't get unemployment.

But you can if you voluntarily separate or retire from the military. Not the same as quiting a job.

Mongosafari
04-29-2011, 21:45
But you can if you voluntarily separate or retire from the military. Not the same as quiting a job.

Absolutely correct. Your not quitting, your enlistment is complete.

I have been watching threads about retirement because it is in my foreseeable future. I only spent 6 years Air Force (1982-88), since then I have put 23 years in the U. S. Border Patrol.

At 25 years BP, I am eligible to bang out but I still have kids in school. My manditory retirement is at 57 years of age (in 9.5 years).

Luckily my Active Duty time will count to my retirement (I bought the time back-now counted at the same level as my current federal service).

My current target date is to retire on my 56th birthday. 31 years BP + 6 AF + a year of saved sick leave accumulated, my current grade is GS-13 (for high 3 years income average) and I have the 6c Covered Law Enforcement status so I should fare pretty well.

I thought about getting a wrecker/tow truck, painting it bright red and on the boom, in lights: "Mongo's Midnight Hooker".....

Brianharless13
05-01-2011, 07:58
Congrat's ravenkeeper98 on making it to retirement. If I would have stayed in the Air Force I would have achieved 22 years of service in April. Really miss some of the people I served with at Aviano Air Base. I keep in touch with several of them on Facebook. I was also Security Police and got out to work for the Sheriff Dept.

JBnTX is spot on about not getting a supervisor position. Ran into a ton of this over the years while working in the automotive industry. Quite a few did not make it cause they had issues with being on the bottom of the totem pole.

Mongo, sounds like you have a plan. I would love to get into the Border Patrol. Too old now. Bummer. Hookin is cool. There is always a need for tow trucks.

Take care all.