full size carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : full size carry

interlake869
04-01-2011, 17:39
hey mas, whats you opinions on full size guns for concealed carry? i usually carry my sub-comp g27 because it hides well but love the way a full size pistol feels and handles, and i shoot it a tad better, its the gun i use for idpa shooting? what size do you carry on a regular basis? any tips on carryying and concealing a big gun? thanks

Mas Ayoob
04-01-2011, 21:38
I usually carry a full size for primary myself. It does take more time and attention to selection of both holster and wardrobe. The larger the handgun, the more sense it makes to carry it inside the waistband, which in turn requires pants about 2" larger at the waist. If I have to wear a tailored suit on a given day, a pistol with a shorter butt is indeed easier to conceal.

Use a forward-tilt holster to minimize butt bulge (the gun's, not yours:supergrin:). Ratchet up one size on the concealing garment (size Large if you're normally a Medium, size 42 if you're normally size 40, etc.) to get more "drape" coming down from the latissimus dorsi to better hide the gun at your hip.

I try not to use the GATE section to sell books, but drop into a gun shop, a Barnes & Noble, or some other place that sells the Gun Digest series of books, and leaf through my "Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry" to see if anything therein might be useful to you. I did my best to give hints there on carrying serious handguns discreetly concealed, 24/7. The book gave me lots of space and lots of pictures to illustrate concepts; the short forum we use at GATE does not.

best,
Mas

interlake869
04-02-2011, 08:22
thanks mas, headed to barnes and noble today