Just a thought. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought.

Zombie Steve
04-01-2011, 22:02
I get a little confused when I see folks try and overwork their guns with reloads. There have been a few posts here lately that have me wondering. Folks chasing a factory number from God knows what test barrel length or some other ballistics number from a book.

Instead of trying to overwork the snot out of a .357 mag, why not just get a .44 mag and use a mid-range load? Instead of maxing out a .30-06, why not just get a .300 mag from the start and load it down? There's always something bigger that can do the same at lower pressures or do more at the same pressures, however you want to look at it. Often, you can find really accurate loads on the lower end of rifle data... why burn out your throat and use up more powder for 100 fps? To see how far a .30 caliber bullet will stick into the mud after passing completely through a deer? Is an extra 2 inches of drop at 400 yards an insurmountable calculation?

I'm stating and asking at the same time. What's the advantage of pushing the envelope in reloading?

If you were pulling a horse trailer on a daily basis, I don't think you'd get a 4 or 6 cylinder pickup even though you can make it work.

:dunno:

labdwakin
04-02-2011, 01:11
For my part... I"m still playing with different bullets and just finding out what it takes to make each one shoot. Trust me, I don't like rounds that have to be hot to shoot well! I understand your puzzlement.... can I borrow the Leemobile for a 1500 yard .50 BMG target?

kshutt
04-02-2011, 04:36
You're starting to get way too logical, Zombie. You've been hanging around Steve way too much. Also, PLEASE stop changing your avatar so much. Trust me, the one you have now is pretty sweet. :supergrin:

dudel
04-02-2011, 05:30
I get a little confused when I see folks try and overwork their guns with reloads. There have been a few posts here lately that have me wondering. Folks chasing a factory number from God knows what test barrel length or some other ballistics number from a book.

Instead of trying to overwork the snot out of a .357 mag, why not just get a .44 mag and use a mid-range load? Instead of maxing out a .30-06, why not just get a .300 mag from the start and load it down? There's always something bigger that can do the same at lower pressures or do more at the same pressures, however you want to look at it. Often, you can find really accurate loads on the lower end of rifle data... why burn out your throat and use up more powder for 100 fps? To see how far a .30 caliber bullet will stick into the mud after passing completely through a deer? Is an extra 2 inches of drop at 400 yards an insurmountable calculation?

I'm stating and asking at the same time. What's the advantage of pushing the envelope in reloading?

If you were pulling a horse trailer on a daily basis, I don't think you'd get a 4 or 6 cylinder pickup even though you can make it work.

Way too much logic there Steve. There must be some macho thing associated with hot loads? Just step up to a bigger gun. It's also potentially unsafe to others on the range. Just another reason I prefer the back yard to a public range. SAMMI specs are there for a reason. It's amazing to see people packing powder with no chrono or clue as to pressure signs.

I saw one idiot use a piece of 2x4 to beat open the bolt after a hot load. :faint:He kept going, I moved away.

WiskyT
04-02-2011, 05:41

This from a man with an avatar of a 300 BHP 1.5 liter car. Why not just get a 318 with a Carter two barrel that will do the same thing at 3,000RPM and not even break a sweat?

Zombie Steve
04-02-2011, 07:34
What... you don't like my new car? It gets me from point A to point B and it's a great value! I just never drive it over 35.

Colorado4Wheel
04-02-2011, 08:18
Steve goes out drinking and gets more lucid.

shotgunred
04-02-2011, 09:03
I think it is an age thing. Look at how many 20 year old guys drop thousands of dollars into a 1.7 liter Honda engine to get it to go faster. Personally i find the lowest pressure load that make adequate accuracy. Of course I am just shooting at cardboard. If I was going to get back into hunting I would bump it up a little but it would still be a middle of the road load.

sig357fan
04-02-2011, 15:35
Iím with ya on this one Steve.

Economical and accurate are what Iím after.

Iíll spend a little more money on certain bullets or tools to refine brass for my hi-power rifle but Iím looking for best accuracy, and that very rarely happens at full throttle.

Handgun ammo for the most part is for practice of proper application of my weapon, the cheaper I get, the more I shoot, the more I shoot, the better I get.

Just ask the guy who has to have blistering velocity and heart thumping power, which is better, a miss with a 44 Mag or a hit with a 22 rim fire?

sig357fan

Zombie Steve
04-02-2011, 18:57
Steve goes out drinking and gets more lucid.

Cheers.

PCJim
04-04-2011, 15:19
Couldn't agree with you more.

There is more wear and tear going on than just that to the firearm. Invest in hearing aids and arthritis pain relievers. They'll be buying these quicker than they think.

fredj338
04-04-2011, 18:04
I agree! I wonder why guys want to beat the crap out of a gun & brass to amke say 9mm major, when they could just run a 38super or 357sig. Same for rifles. If you need more horsepower, get a bigger gun. It's why I have so many calibers!:rofl: