Glock magazines are tight when full [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock magazines are tight when full

vaquero aleman
04-02-2011, 11:00
I am looking for any feedback on the tightness of glock mags. When the last round is pushed into a glock mag it is really tight. And when the mag is full then it is equally hard to push into the gun, not that I can't get it seated, it just seems harder than necessary. I would think that glock would have added some extra space to fix that problem. Does any body have any ideas on this? I have been thinking about adding extra round extensions and just leaving one round out to add extra space, but I am open to any ideas. For now I am carrying 12 out of 13 in my 23.

Kyle1886
04-02-2011, 12:56
I've found that with new mags, I load to full capacity and let it sit for a week or so. After a few range sessions it becomes easier to get the last round in and insert in the pistol.

Kyle

DFin
04-08-2011, 07:20
I have found that they loosen up over time. I just bought several new G-22 mags and experienced the same thing as you. I have left one fully loaded (15 rounds) that I have been putting in and out of the pistol for the last 2 weeks. It is now much easier to insert into the pistol than the other new mags.

ADK_40GLKr
04-13-2011, 10:03
Mine are pretty tight when full also, and that's on old mags. I saw a suggestion that we cut a quarter inch off the back of the mag follower, but I suspect that might cause more problems than it solves.

When I jam a full mag into my G22 with the slide back, it usually releases the slide and strips the 1st round into the chamber.

Poohgyrr
07-10-2011, 11:55
For what it's worth, my .40 mags have pretty much always taken a few months to ease up on loading the last round. That is with leaving the mags fully loaded the whole time. The only mags I remember really being hard to seat were the ten round G30 mags.

Just what's happened to me.

jprj
11-30-2011, 03:12
Have the same experience for both my G23 and G30. I also bought a G22 magazine and its always less than 1 due to tightness. And if I may add, what is the max round available for .40 mags in the market? Are there 30 rounds as well just like the ones for 9mm's.

ADK_40GLKr
12-03-2011, 23:07
Mine are pretty tight when full also, and that's on old mags.

Update: Same is true for my new G 27. When I insert a full mag, I give the base a good whack with the heel of my left hand.

voyager4520
12-14-2011, 11:18
I load one round under capacity for this reason, it's much easier to seat magazines and if I rack the slide to chamber a round it's much easier.

Vanilla-gorilla
12-14-2011, 11:25
I load one round under capacity for this reason, it's much easier to seat magazines and if I rack the slide to chamber a round it's much easier.

I also do the same.

ADK_40GLKr
12-14-2011, 23:22

I find a lot of resistance when racking the slide on a full 9 round new G27 mag. The slide binds on something - maybe the top cartridge neck?

It's easier to insert full magazine with the slide back, then slingshot the slide to load one in chamber. Also, there's less resistance to inserting the mag with slide back.

voiceofreason
12-17-2011, 16:32
Vickers says to download by one round.

I keep new mags loaded until I get them to the range and determine them to be reliable.

By keeping it fully loaded for 6 months, the spring lightens up enough to function normally.

Most important thing is to make sure it's fully seated.

den888
12-17-2011, 23:25
They will take some time to loosen up. Try and keep them loaded up (or minus one round) and they will loosen. Seems that the .45 ACP mags are the tightest.

Hour13
12-17-2011, 23:37
what is the max round available for .40 mags in the market? Are there 30 rounds as well just like the ones for 9mm's.

You can get Glock factory mags, in a 22rd for the .40 caliber. If you're looking for a "big stick" that's what I would suggest using.

Some korean company is making 33rd mags for the .40 Glocks, but I've heard nothing but bad things about how they feed.

f350fiver
12-18-2011, 02:26
I have five mags now and they are pretty tight, but work great so I will keep on shooting.

ODshooter
12-18-2011, 23:56
Some korean company is making 33rd mags for the .40 Glocks, but I've heard nothing but bad things about how they feed.

I have used one of those, but for a .45, and after the first round ejected the second would fail to feed. It did this every time, must have re-racked about a dozen or so times. That experience has turned me off to the idea of buying one for my 23.

jprj
12-19-2011, 00:30
To fail on the second round is too much disgrace. So the make itself is really bad. Unlike the others that are commonly caused by weak springs.

ADK_40GLKr
12-19-2011, 06:58
You can get Glock factory mags, in a 22rd for the .40 caliber. If you're looking for a "big stick" that's what I would suggest using.

BIG STICKS that is. :wavey: We still have The Ban in NY, so Big Sticks are rare around here.

But I've never had a problem with the gun not rechambering the top round in a tight mag after firing the "one in the pipe". So I'm not going to consider the resistance it gives MY feeble efforts to rack the slide to be a problem. It'll improve with time if I keep my mags full.

wildehond
12-28-2011, 15:09
Just got a new G22 3rd Gen. The mags are quite hard to load that last two rounds, but they do seem to easy up over the last week.

I normally lock the slide back and then insert the full mag and then release the slide form the slide stop, by hand or by just pressing the slide release. Depending on the situation

swinokur
12-28-2011, 16:00
Get an Uplula from Maglula.

Best loader you can buy.

ADK_40GLKr
01-04-2012, 23:32
The other day I tried to rack the slide of my G27 with a full mag, and it caught about half way back. I was concerned this might happen during firing and cause a FTE.

Looking for some substance to mark the bullet, I came up with some of my wife's liquid make up, and put a drop on the slug and neck of the top round in the mag.

Then I inserted the mag and racked the slide again. It stuck, but I forced it back and the round chambered.

Ejecting mag and emptying the chamber, I field stripped the gun, and found traces of the tan liquid on the bottom of the "stripper" that 1 3/8" metal bar on the bottom of the slide that pushes the round into the chamber.

I wiped that area real well with a rag, then with a Q tip smeared a little Vaseline along the back of the stripper. Also cleaned the feed ramp and chamber again to get any remnants of liquid make up out of there, and reassembled the gun.

I inserted the full mag again, and racked the slide. It worked a lot smoother. The SLIDE SLID!

And i found that even if not lubricated, That part of the slide will not catch solidly as the ramp passes over and pushes down that top bullet. No sharp corners, just a little ramp that will squeeze past the bullet and then catch the rim to push it back into the chamber.

vaquero aleman
02-22-2012, 12:49
Get an Uplula from Maglula.

Best loader you can buy.
Gotta give the Israelis one up for that one, right? I have the Uplula and love it!

vaquero aleman
02-22-2012, 13:03
I guess I'm just not very loyal to my constant companion, as I no longer have the G23 but a Sig P226 and a G21. I have found that in most every handgun I have owned that the same dilemma exists. Maybe the real reason that extensions are made is not to add extra rounds as much as extra space? I have three plus two mags made by MecGar for my 226 and they are all tight putting in the last round. But I am loading 15 per mag regardless.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/vaqueroaleman/Guns%20and%20Ammo/130.jpg
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/vaqueroaleman/003-1.jpg

swinokur
02-22-2012, 13:05
Gotta give the Israelis one up for that one, right? I have the Uplula and love it!

Mepro night sights as well. Great stuff. Have the on all my Glocks

Kikon
02-22-2012, 13:10

+1.....:dunno: