Hey Chrony F1 users, I'll bet you can relate to this! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hey Chrony F1 users, I'll bet you can relate to this!

21Glock
04-02-2011, 12:01
Hi guys,
I finally got my first Chrony, an F1. I took it down to our hunting property this a.m. to try it out. I had some .45 Super handloads, some .45 ACP handloads and some .223 handloads for my AR Bushy carbine. Everything was going along fine, I clocked my .45 Supers out of my G21SF, (outfitted to handle these hot rounds) at an average of 1200fps with a 230 JHP slug. I was using AA#7 and Power Pistol in these rounds.
Average of 2800fps from the AR carbine with 16" barrel and 55gr. FMJBT bullet. Win. 748 powder used.
Better numbers than I expected on the .45 Super rounds, even with a 6" Lone Wolf barrel.
Then, I switched to the regular .45 ACP handloads and I was getting 3250, 4250 fps readings and then I would get Error 9 and Error 1 messages on the screen. I guess I was getting flustered and careless in my aiming, because I mistakenly let a .45 ACP round hit the rear left side of the Chrony or it hit the metal rod and came down and bent the housing like a tin can. I thought, GREAT, $90 in the crapper now!
I saw that the rear "eye" was still intact and it still had a place to put the metal rod, so I thought, what the heck, let's try it now.
Well, low and behold, it started to give normal readings on my .45 ACP loads(average of 939fps with a 230gr. hardcast home brewed slug) and normal readings on my .223 handloads.
What's the old saying, "Take's a licking and still keeps on ticking" Chrony appears to be the Timex of Shooting Chronographs.
I'll continue to use it as long as I can and be very careful next time I test loads.
If it works, why now?

tjpet
04-02-2011, 12:16
I'm on my 4th Chrony (various models over a 15-20 year period). Usually pop'em when I'm in a hurry to beat weather or short on time.

The company will sell you a new one at half the retail price if you ship the damaged one back. I've found it cheaper to just buy one through a discount house.

If you shoot enough - and use a Chrony - you'll kill one eventually.

paydro13
04-02-2011, 12:45
I just used mine (f-1) on a few loads and when I shot a hot 44 mag round by it the rods flew off! I had it about 6ft away so I put it back together and moved it 8ft away. Kept on posting good numbers.

21Glock
04-02-2011, 12:54
I figured this would happen to other folks. I see now why I've needed one ever since I have been reloading and shooting, 30+ years. Very valuable information on my loads.
I just wanted my "battle scars" to happen later.
But, some things just happen, no matter what. I'll never be without one again, that's for sure. Like driving a car without a speedometer!

dla
04-02-2011, 14:15
Here are some ideas about keeping your Chrony alive:

Chrony boo-boo plate ideas (https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/Home/shooting-chrony-alpha-master-chronograph)

XDRoX
04-02-2011, 14:41
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/chrony.jpg

WiskyT
04-02-2011, 16:56
Use bamboo skewers instead of the metal rods. They will break instead of transmitting the energy to the chrony base. Don't ask me how I know this.

21Glock
04-02-2011, 18:01
Nothing like blowing away a perfectly good device costing almost $100 to help keep your aim steady.
I'll use the bamboo skewer's too next time.

Thanks!

njl
04-02-2011, 18:32

Too bad you didn't have a remote display unit, so you could see what it thought of you putting one through the eye instead of over it.

I wounded mine, hitting one of the back rods with a 9mm...but I bent it back and it still works as well as before. It's never a good idea to chronograph in a hurry. I was hurrying and got sloppy.

Cavalry Doc
04-02-2011, 18:44

:shocked: holy hole batman.

Note to self, be very careful with expensive equipment, try to learn from the mistakes of others.

labdwakin
04-02-2011, 22:43
I've managed not to shoot mine... YET... we'll see what I have to say about it in a year... LOL

Loudcherokee
04-03-2011, 01:16
I've got one of those. I haven't managed to shoot it yet, but give it time!

I have had similar issues with getting it to give good readings. The first time, I was getting really fast readings for my .308 loads, above what the book says I would get with a max charge. I later figured out it wasn't open all the way. Also, the other day when shooting my first .45acp reloads, I was getting readouts of anywhere from 150-180 fps. I figured it was because it was REALLY sunny out. Even with the sunshades, it was just too bright and directed right at the eyes.

I would love to figure out a way to use the chrony while shooting prone with my rifle. I can think of one way, but I don't think my range would appreciate me digging a 4 inch deep hole the size of my chrony into the ground in front of the shooting pad.

LC

dla
04-03-2011, 01:20
I've got one of those. I haven't managed to shoot it yet, but give it time!

I have had similar issues with getting it to give good readings. The first time, I was getting really fast readings for my .308 loads, above what the book says I would get with a max charge. I later figured out it wasn't open all the way. Also, the other day when shooting my first .45acp reloads, I was getting readouts of anywhere from 150-180 fps. I figured it was because it was REALLY sunny out. Even with the sunshades, it was just too bright and directed right at the eyes.

I would love to figure out a way to use the chrony while shooting prone with my rifle. I can think of one way, but I don't think my range would appreciate me digging a 4 inch deep hole the size of my chrony into the ground in front of the shooting pad.

LC

Upside down. Most camera tripods have bottom 1/4"x20 mount. Put a sheet of white paper for the Chrony to look at.