Help Needed on a Dillon 650 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed on a Dillon 650

mibpf
04-02-2011, 17:41
I just bought a 650 and thought I had everything setup correct but, the problem I am having is when I place each bullet in the Stainless Steel case gauge the bullet fits but stops just short at the base. I have adjusted everything and rechecked everything. When I make a dry run without any gun powder and primer, the bullet fits in the case gauge perfect. It is almost as if their is a slight bulge at the bottom of the casing when I check the live loads. I wander if the belling of the casing from the poweder feeder is placing a lot of stress on the casing at the bottom? Does anybody have any ideas? I am reloading 9mm on a Dillon 650 using Dillon dies. I have even tried loading new shell casings.

AngelDeville
04-02-2011, 18:00
Are you seating your bullets too deep?

Boxerglocker
04-02-2011, 18:00
First ensure you sizing die is set correctly it should touch the shellplate then back it off 1/4 turn. (dies should always be adjusted with all stations loaded). I like it to just lightly touch without camming. Size a case and then case gauge empty, that will eliminate the proble at that die. Then flare and load a bullet, followed by crimping. Your crmp should be .376-.378 inch. One thing you didn't mention is what bullet you are using?

If you need help walking you through it I'm available... PM me with you phone number and I'll call you.

Mitchell

mibpf
04-02-2011, 18:38
Thanks for the quick responses. I am using montana gold 124 JHP bullets. The OAL is around 1.150. I will run each station again and easure asd I go and let you know.

Boxerglocker
04-02-2011, 18:54
Thanks for the quick responses. I am using montana gold 124 JHP bullets. The OAL is around 1.150. I will run each station again and easure asd I go and let you know.

Sounds like your looking at either a sizing or crimping issue. MG JHPs are gret bullets 1.150 is a little long for that bullet in most cases. I load them down to 1.120 for more relaible feeding.

Popsmoke
04-04-2011, 15:53
I have to keep my resizing die right on the shell plate or that happens to me.

ManNamedJed
04-04-2011, 16:00
I adjust the size die to the plate then ADD another 1/4 turn. If not I have a 10%+ failure rate if I check with a case gage (9mm).

BTW - I put all the ones that won't pass case gage in a separate pile and shoot them up in practice. I've probably run a couple thousand of them at this point and have had exactly ONE actually refuse to feed. So if its close to going all the way into your case gage, it will very likely feed just fine.

ron59
04-04-2011, 16:06
While I love my Dillon stuff... I ended up switching out to a Lee resizing die. I think it's a total of $20 or so. And I think it does a better job of resizing.

Pretty sure I got that idea from Steve (C4W).

IndyGunFreak
04-04-2011, 16:11
First ensure you sizing die is set correctly it should touch the shellplate then back it off 1/4 turn. (dies should always be adjusted with all stations loaded). I like it to just lightly touch without camming. Size a case and then case gauge empty, that will eliminate the proble at that die. Then flare and load a bullet, followed by crimping. Your crmp should be .376-.378 inch. One thing you didn't mention is what bullet you are using?

If you need help walking you through it I'm available... PM me with you phone number and I'll call you.

Mitchell

Exactly.

IGF

squirreld
04-04-2011, 17:54
I am at 1.15 with PD FMJ's.
I ran the ram to the top and then screwed it down by hand, lowered the ram, turned a smidge more. If I felt resistance I raised the seating die.
I'm using a Lee resizer.

Boxerglocker
04-04-2011, 18:03
I adjust the size die to the plate then ADD another 1/4 turn. If not I have a 10%+ failure rate if I check with a case gage (9mm).

I am at 1.15 with PD FMJ's.
I ran the ram to the top and then screwed it down by hand, lowered the ram, turned a smidge more. If I felt resistance I raised the seating die.
I'm using a Lee resizer.

I realise that YMMV, but from an engineering standpoint the last thing you want to do is OVERCAM the ram. It puts stress on the shellpla
te and the entire press in general. Lastly if your overcamming in on station, your not reacking full travel in another.
My test it this, adjust as I described above then fine tune using a piece of paper as a clearance go-no-go gauge. Just ensure you are not over camming.

squirreld
04-04-2011, 19:32
ok,
per the suggestions from the more seasoned reloaders.
I re-adjusted the sizer die.
I raised the ram and kept tightening the sizer until I was able to just wiggle the toolhead given moderate pressure. although it may be touching, it is not enough to keep it from moving.

Colorado4Wheel
04-04-2011, 19:39
While I love my Dillon stuff... I ended up switching out to a Lee resizing die. I think it's a total of $20 or so. And I think it does a better job of resizing.

Pretty sure I got that idea from Steve (C4W).

I think harassment is a better term.