Plastic Revolvers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Revolvers

HotRoderX
04-03-2011, 13:09
So does anyone own a Polymer snub nose revolver.

When I went to check out the different snub nose revolvers I noticed the LCR something new kinda different but i just wasn't for me at this time.

I prefer a metal body snub nose but that don't mean I ain't curious about the Plastic Revolvers people are putting out.

Will my google fu lead me to some pretty mixed reviews on the LCR. Seems like some people are complaining about Flame cutting with in the first 500 rounds and having to send them back.

So has anyone else experienced this problem and is the Plastic Revolver just a fad or something here to stay.

Would you own a Plastic revolver your self?

Just in case your wondering I got a S&W 637 Chief special.

up1911fan
04-03-2011, 14:55
Love my LCR with XS front site.

Mad Trapper
04-04-2011, 19:27
Loved mine, accurate and actually fun to shoot. I sold it to fund my AR build, regret doing that. Goin to the gun store tomorrow to pick up the kids new .22, have to see if they have any in with the front nite sight.

G19aps
04-05-2011, 07:42
I owned a 642 for 8 yrs and have a 4 yr old 340M&P. I bought an LCR w/XS sight last month. I can shoot it better than either J frame mostly b/c the trigger reach is slightly longer. But it's enough for me that I have more confidence in my ability with the LCR than either J frame. Yesterday I shot a 3.1" 5 shot group @25yds offhand with 135gr+P Gold Dots, centered on the target.

I read about the flame cutting, but it isn't every gun as far as I can tell. I haven't hit 500 rnds yet but am close with no wear in that area.

stopatrain
04-05-2011, 07:51
No plastic revolvers for me...yet.

whmaxwell
04-05-2011, 07:52
Nope but I would love to have one :) If anyone wants to donate to a poor fellow gun owner, let me know!! :cool:

Berto
04-05-2011, 08:31
I'm still waiting on the long term reports. So far I've seen a few reports of flame cutting and frame stretch.

Mad Trapper
04-05-2011, 11:03
Picked up a new one today. Has the front night sight and boot grip. Paid $449. When they first came out I paid $400 for my first one without the night sight. Compared it to a S&W with NS which was 100 bucks more, trigger pull seems way smoother on the LCR. I put about 500 rounds thru my first one with no wear visible whatsoever.
Plastic guns, yikes, didnt they used to say that about Glocks years ago?

KennyFSU
04-05-2011, 11:24
Does anyone know what other companies make a plastic revolver besides Ruger?

G19aps
04-05-2011, 11:34
S&W and Taurus

HotRoderX
04-05-2011, 14:32
Picked up a new one today. Has the front night sight and boot grip. Paid $449. When they first came out I paid $400 for my first one without the night sight. Compared it to a S&W with NS which was 100 bucks more, trigger pull seems way smoother on the LCR. I put about 500 rounds thru my first one with no wear visible whatsoever.
Plastic guns, yikes, didnt they used to say that about Glocks years ago?

yea they use to call Glocks plastic guns some still do. I just didn't know what else to call a plastic composite revolver with out offending anyone. I did give some thought to calling them Metal Challenged Revolvers but figured that wasn't politically correct :tongueout:.

GoBigOrange
04-05-2011, 14:37
Love my LCR so much that I plan on buying a 2nd one in .357

There is a guy on DefensiveCarry.com that has well over 1000 rounds through his and it's still going strong.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/117948-ruger-lcr-1200-rounds-counting-long-term-review.html

G19aps
04-05-2011, 14:46
The LCRs have been out for 2 years now. I would hope current manufactured ones won't have the flame cutting issue but you never know. Ruger has a good warranty anyway.

HotRoderX
04-05-2011, 15:01
I love wheel guns so I was thinking about maybe some time after Christmas picking up one in 357mag cause will... I want a Ruger revolver something hardcore.

SuperSleuth
04-05-2011, 22:13
Around the end of last year I started actively looking at getting a snub revolver and the .357 LCR was at the top of my list. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any ranges that rented them around my area so I wasn't able to shoot one. I did find a gun store that had a .38 LCR, so I decided to check it out. It was definitely lightweight. I wasn't too crazy about the grip. But then I dry-fired it. I will say that it was light and fairly smooth. There was just something about the "feel" of it I didn't like. I can't really explain it.

I decided to stick with S&W and ended up getting the no-lock 642 I have now (see avatar). I liked it much better, even though the trigger pull was significantly heavier.

Now that I think about it, I think what bothered me about the LCR's trigger pull was the lack of energy on the trigger return. Every S&W revolver I've shot before trying the LCR (a model 10, an older no-dash 642, and my 65) snapped it's trigger back with authority. It's why I like the stock springs in my guns.

Other than the trigger, I wouldn't mind owning an LCR. I think it's a sound concept.

However, I will not get the S&W Bodyguard revolver (I really hate that name...it's confusing with the 49-style snub). I hate the location of the cylinder release; it's too different from every other DA revolver on the market.

up1911fan
04-06-2011, 15:13
I like mine.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/100_0130.jpghttp://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/100_0129.jpg

cowboywannabe
04-06-2011, 19:30
it took me a decade or so before i bought into the plastic semi auto Glock.

it will probably be as long before i buy into the plastic revolver deal as well.

up1911fan
04-06-2011, 20:06
Not nearly enough pics in this thread.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/100_0132.jpg

Best shot I could get showing the sight picture with the XS dot.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/100_0134.jpg

SamRudolph
04-06-2011, 20:38
I have an LCR with the XS standard dot sight and the boot grip.

If it had the standard grip it would be easier to shoot. The trigger is nicer than a factory S&W by leaps and bounds. XS sights are fantastic, of course. Recoil to me feels about the same as a S&W 642, which I have also owned.

I actually think it's a rather attractive gun.

up1911fan
04-06-2011, 21:09
Agree on the boot grip, not the best for range use. Shoot's about like my 642, I plan on adding CTC's to the LCR pretty quick.

GoBigOrange
04-06-2011, 21:19
I have an LCR with the XS standard dot sight and the boot grip.

If it had the standard grip it would be easier to shoot. The trigger is nicer than a factory S&W by leaps and bounds. XS sights are fantastic, of course. Recoil to me feels about the same as a S&W 642, which I have also owned.

I actually think it's a rather attractive gun.

FYI, I think you can order the standard grip from Ruger and IIRC they are very affordable. $20-30 I think.

up1911fan
04-06-2011, 21:40
I think the standard grips maybe to much for pocket carry, hoping the CTC's split the difference.

GoBigOrange
04-06-2011, 21:48
I think the standard grips maybe to much for pocket carry, hoping the CTC's split the difference.

all a matter of opinion I guess. My LCR has the standard grips and pocket carry is the only way it gets carried. It's been fine for me. I'd really like to get the CT grips but they are made from a hard plastic and I prefer the rubber. This gun has enough recoil with the standard grips I couldn't imagine it would be very fun with hard plastic grips.

YMMV

up1911fan
04-06-2011, 22:17
I may try a Houge sleeve over the CTC's if it's to uncomfortable to shoot. I really like CTC's on a smaller gun, just wish the LCR version was more along the lines of the LG405.

G19aps
04-07-2011, 08:16
I have the standard and the boot grip. The standard is just a little thicker but it's much more comfortable to practice with than the boot grip. I can pocket carry in the same pockets that I carried a J frame in. Also, the standard grip is more forgiving of a less than perfect grip when drawing from the pocket, the boot grip seems to feel like it's always going to pop out of my hand if I don't grab it just right. I would like to shoot one with the Crimson Trace grips on it but I think it may hurt the most of the 3 grips.

up1911fan
04-07-2011, 19:56
I believe the LCR CTC grip has a soft rubber backing, just hard on the sides, similar to the LG405 for J Frames.

WMDoug
04-08-2011, 10:54
I am taking delivery today of a Ruger LCR with the crimson trace grip. I will go to the range afterward and report back on shoot and feel. I am currently a G19 owner so I suspect I am in for some surprises regarding recoil! I cannot wait!

up1911fan
04-11-2011, 15:27
Yeah i'm going to order the CTC's this week myself.

Beware Owner
04-11-2011, 15:29
Didn't even know they made them.

WMDoug
04-15-2011, 13:37
I am taking delivery today of a Ruger LCR with the crimson trace grip. I will go to the range afterward and report back on shoot and feel. I am currently a G19 owner so I suspect I am in for some surprises regarding recoil! I cannot wait!

I know it isn't classy to quote yourself but...I forget to get back regarding the Ruger LCR range report. I only took 50 rounds with me and am glad that is all. Wow! That dog has a bark and bite! I am so used to my G19 with it's almost complete lack of recoil and hand impact that I was surprised at the kick from the Ruger .38 LCR. I will say this, the crimson trace is awesome. It was set up for 50 feet out of the box and I was never more than 8 yards at the range, but I could clearly appreciate the whole "what you see is what you get!" aspect to it.

Back to the gun. I had no idea what to expect prior to the first trigger pull. I have never fired a revolver. Watching the cylinder rotate during the trigger pull was something I didn't expect. (You guys forget what is was like to be a newbie!) It was hard to concentrate and I was all over the place. Heck I didn't even know how to hold it correctly. So I slowed down and used only the gun sights and started to get some very nice groups at 25 feet.

I have been dry firing a lot and have found a nice position right before the hammer strikes where the cylinder has already rotated and is ready to fire. All it needs is one more quarter of a ounce of pull to light it up. If used in a SHTF scenario, I doubt I will ever have that luxury, but it felt good to know a little bit more about the trigger pull and firing.

My only issue with the gun is I would like some markings on the sights. They are all black and need some contrast. I am going to work on that. This gun is fun to shoot and will be my EDC when my CPL comes in. It will live in a pocket holster and my G19 will live in my nightstand...for a while anyway.

G19aps
04-15-2011, 20:47
Glad you liked it. Regarding the front sight, there are a few replacement available you can see them at shopruger. Or you can paint it. Put a base coat or two of white on first and then your color of choice. I've used florescent orange in the past.

up1911fan
04-16-2011, 13:49
I'd get the XS front sight if I were you, well worth the money and makes picking up the front sight simple and FAST!

WMDoug
04-24-2011, 00:16
I'd get the XS front sight if I were you, well worth the money and makes picking up the front sight simple and FAST!

I did and you are right. It locks right in place regardless of background. Great suggestion. This is my carry gun.

bel970
04-24-2011, 01:10
I've got a S&W bodyguard, it's a little lighter than the air weights, outside of the appearance it has little to nothing in common with the rest of the S&W wheel guns, cylinder even indexes the opposite direction. the integrated laser is not my flavor (don't have much use for them outside of trigger control training).

little dog with a big bark, 25-30 rounds of +p is enough for my hand for a range trip.

I like the 642/442 better, but a friend needed money more than the gun.

Daryl in Az
05-20-2011, 06:48

Not a bad choice at all. I've had mine for about 9 years, and it's been a solid shooter. Been shooting it in the backyard a bit lately, and I'm still impressed with how accurate that short barrel is.

I carried it pretty much exclusively as an EDC gun 'till last July; now I switch to or add a G23 sometimes.

Daryl

1 old 0311
05-20-2011, 11:34

When I went to check out the different snub nose revolvers I noticed the LCR something new kinda different but i just wasn't for me at this time.

I prefer a metal body snub nose but that don't mean I ain't curious about the Plastic Revolvers people are putting out.

Will my google fu lead me to some pretty mixed reviews on the LCR. Seems like some people are complaining about Flame cutting with in the first 500 rounds and having to send them back.

So has anyone else experienced this problem and is the Plastic Revolver just a fad or something here to stay.

An Airweight is about the same weight as the 'plastic guns.' I'll stick with my Airweights.

Gregg702
05-26-2011, 14:37
I just picked up an LCR .357. It has some polymer, but it is steel where it counts. I only have 20 rounds of .357 and about 10 rounds of .38 so far, but I like it already, and I have been carrying it for the past week, instead of my 642.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/BadReligion702/P1000051-1.jpg

Mad Trapper
05-26-2011, 14:50
Mine goes everywhere with me. I find that the boot grip is better for carry, the regular grip was better for shooting. I carry it more then I shoot it so the boot grip is best for me. The XS night sight is great.

abimelech
06-21-2011, 13:11
I've got a S&W bodyguard, it's a little lighter than the air weights, outside of the appearance it has little to nothing in common with the rest of the S&W wheel guns, cylinder even indexes the opposite direction. the integrated laser is not my flavor (don't have much use for them outside of trigger control training).

little dog with a big bark, 25-30 rounds of +p is enough for my hand for a range trip.

I like the 642/442 better, but a friend needed money more than the gun.

+1
I ahve the same revolver and a Ruger SP101. If I want range time I take the Ruger, but you can't beat the BG .38 for pocket carry.

SamRudolph
06-21-2011, 13:15
The flame cutting was due to a bad batch of aluminum frames in a group of early production LCRs. This is no longer an issue.

The LCR feels lighter than it is, and comes with features and looks that put it in the range of S&W's scandium M&P J-frames that cost twice as much.

ArtCrafter
06-26-2011, 05:55
...The LCR feels lighter than it is, and comes with features and looks that put it in the range of S&W's scandium M&P J-frames that cost twice as much.

I've long been a Smith & Wesson guy when it comes to DA revolvers, but I have to admit if I was just starting out in the snubby game, I'd be looking hard at the Ruger LCR. As you point out, the LCR is an outstanding value and more than competitive with the Sc J-Frames.

As for the (new/plastic) S&W "Bodyguard" revolver, there really is no comparison; IMO, the LCR blows it away. (Pun intended. :supergrin:) In contrast, the S&W will probably go down in history as the first truly disposable revolver ever mass-produced in the US.

writwing
10-29-2011, 08:19
An Airweight is about the same weight as the 'plastic guns.' I'll stick with my Airweights.

The plastic guns trigger and ergos are superior to the Air weights. That seals the deal.

Providence
10-30-2011, 07:26
I'm seriously considering buying an LCR .38. In fact I plan on getting it in a couple of weeks. But first I would like opinions. I own a couple of old full size S&W .38s and I've shot a snubbie (S&W 442), but I haven't been able to find an LCR to borrow/rent and shoot. So I'm buying blind.

Locally, the standard LCR is available. I can order the Tritium front sight and Crimson Trace models, and I'm willing to do that if I'm convinced it's the best option. So I read this thread with a lot of interest. I hope it continues.

To those of you with both S&W snubbie and the LCR, is the felt recoil similar?

Chup
10-30-2011, 08:17
I'm seriously considering buying an LCR .38. In fact I plan on getting it in a couple of weeks. But first I would like opinions. I own a couple of old full size S&W .38s and I've shot a snubbie (S&W 442), but I haven't been able to find an LCR to borrow/rent and shoot. So I'm buying blind.

Locally, the standard LCR is available. I can order the Tritium front sight and Crimson Trace models, and I'm willing to do that if I'm convinced it's the best option. So I read this thread with a lot of interest. I hope it continues.

I have a 442 and a LCR 357. With 38+p the 442 is not to bad but the LCR 357 Blows it away. The 17oz. LCR 357 with Tamer Grip is very comfortable shooting +P Ammo. 357 Ammo was a little wild at first but, I have been shooting 357 Snubs for years and got used to it quick. The Tamer Grip makes shooting the 125JHP loads painless for me. I ordered and installed the X/S Night Sight. This gun has become my favorite 357 Snub to carry and shoot. I can shoot it pretty good and follow up shots are not a problem. The very smooth trigger makes for good accuracy. I always carry Two Snubs so the LCR 357 is One that is always with me. Sometimes I carry it with a 7 Shot Taurus 357, SP101 Ruger, or my 442. I still like that little 442 so I carry it as a Back up when I want to go with Two light weight guns. The LCR fits my pockets fine but, I don't ware tight fitting clothes. I may buy another one so I can carry Two but, I still like to rotate my other Snubs in to carry.

GoBigOrange
10-30-2011, 08:35

I added the XS front site to my LCR and highly recommend it. It's amazing how accurate these little guns are. I love my LCR.

otech
10-30-2011, 08:55
I've pocket carried an .38 LCR for more than a year and a half and shoot it at least 2x monthly. The trigger pull is smooth as butter IMO. I have larger hands and recoil may be a bit more manageable for me and the Hogue grips help to absorb it as well. Its so light in weight that I don't even notice it when I carry it, but this also contributes to the felt recoil.

At the range I'll sometimes use cowboy loads for practice and its like shooting a .22 and cheaper to practice mechanics with. I'll always finish the session with full loads. I painted the front sight with some modeling paint and touch up is easy when needed. I use a strip loader as it is easy to carry in my other pocket. For me it took a lot practice to become reasonably proficient using it.

In the winter I carried my SP101 as it was easier to conceal, but anymore I simply stuff the LCR in my pocket and go about my day. I'm thinking about getting the .357 LCR to replace this one as my carry weapon for the added ballistics. Its a well designed and manufactured double action and you have to shoot it to appreciate it.

(This has been a paid political announcement.) :supergrin:

Providence
10-30-2011, 09:44
Thanks for all the replies.
At the range I'll sometimes use cowboy loads for practice and its like shooting a .22 and cheaper to practice mechanics with. Is this a load you can buy, or are these reloads?

otech
10-30-2011, 10:18
Thanks for all the replies.
Is this a load you can buy, or are these reloads?

Edited for a better answer

.38spl. I use 158gr RNFP bullet. Winchester Small Pistol primers, and 3.0 grains of Titegroup powder.

Providence
10-30-2011, 11:28
.38spl. I use 158gr RNFP bullet. Winchester Small Pistol primers, and 3.0 grains of Titegroup powder.Thanks!

happyguy
11-05-2011, 07:17

If I already had an Airweight that was filling the bill I would say the same thing.:wavey:

But I haven't owned a snubbie in 15 years and since I am about to go shopping for one I am going to keep an open mind.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Providence
11-05-2011, 07:44
Since I posted a question about the LCR, I'll post my outcome. I went into the store planning to purchase an LCR. But it was a little higher than I remembered ($399), and the S&Ws were a little cheaper than I remembered ($329). I stood there for 30 minutes trying to decide. The guys behind the counter were patient, and even offered their opinions. All owned S&Ws and, none owned LCRs. But they all wanted LCRs.

In the end I got the 442. It is easier for me to pocket carry, and that for me was the bottom line. I would still love to shoot an LCR. Hell, I'd still love to own an LCR! The 442 isn't too "snappy", but it isn't really a range gun. And I'm not sure how accurate I'm going to be with it. But it is small and well-built! Wife carried it last night.

KennyFSU
11-07-2011, 06:22
Great choice!

up1911fan
11-07-2011, 08:27
I love my LCR, but you can't go wrong with a J-Frame. I've got an LCR with XS front sight and I still have an urge to get an M&P340.

G19aps
11-07-2011, 09:18
It is easier for me to pocket carry, and that for me was the bottom line.

You know there is a Boot Grip for the LCR that makes it as pocketable as a J frame. Then you'll have the lighter gun, with a better trigger, and with the ability to add the XS sights.

G19aps
11-07-2011, 09:22
I've got an LCR with XS front sight and I still have an urge to get an M&P340.

My first J frame was a 642 and when the M&P340 hit the market I bought one b/c the XS sight was so much easier to use under stress. I still only shoot .38s through it and it recoils plenty for me.

Then I got a .38 LCR with the XS front sight. With the Hogue boot grips on it compared to the M&P340 the LCR is 1.1oz lighter and it cost me $250 less, has a better trigger and it hurts less to shoot it b/c even the Hogue Boot Grips have a small gel insert.

Providence
11-07-2011, 14:54
I love my LCR, but you can't go wrong with a J-Frame. I've got an LCR with XS front sight and I still have an urge to get an M&P340.I know. It was a difficult decision, and I wish I could have said, "I'll them 'em both!" On the bight side, I walked out the door with IWB and pocket holsters and the gun, all for under $400.

Ganesh
11-08-2011, 19:03
Gotta admit...I own a S&W 340 M&P. Very light, very easy to drop in a pocket or stick on yer hip. Tho she is a walk in hell to shoot .357s out of. If Ruger came out with the LCR sooner, I would have probably owned one....definately in the newer .357 version. Ive shot em and I actually like em better than my twice as much Smith.

Since Ive sold off my GP100 and SP101....I'll probably buy one of those for my main shootin. Just too darn painfull these days to put 400+ rounds down range outta my Smith these days. Figure a box outta the smith + 2 cylinders of my carry choice and the rest outta a tank like the sp101 would be just about perfect.

opr1945
12-25-2011, 22:15
From what I can see on the web the plastic revolvers don't weigh any less than the titanium metal revolvers. so what is the advantage of plastic over metal?

G19aps
12-27-2011, 06:55
From what I can see on the web the plastic revolvers don't weigh any less than the titanium metal revolvers. so what is the advantage of plastic over metal?

When you were looking, did you notice any difference in price?

opr1945
12-27-2011, 14:02
actually I did not look at price. In a self defense gun, for me price is not that big a deal. So I save a few bucks and then the gun doesn't work when I need it. I rather spend more and have it work when I need it.

Bud's has new J frames starting at $361 and they go up.

The body guard starts at $418, but comes with an awkward laser sight.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_39_922

itstime
12-27-2011, 14:09
I came here to look for input on the Smith Bodyguard. Seems everyone picks the LCR over it.

Providence
12-27-2011, 20:04
I came here to look for input on the Smith Bodyguard. Seems everyone picks the LCR over it.I ended up buying a S&W 442, but I've got nothing bad to say about the LCR. The funnypart is that I ended up putting Hogue grips on it. It now looks a lot more like an LCR.

Chup
12-28-2011, 10:24
In my experience I have found if you are only going to shoot 38 and 38+P the S&W 442 or 642 is great. If you want to shoot a lot of 357mag it's LCR all the way. We sold a few of the S&W Body Guard 38s. The grip dose not fit most peoples hand as well as the 442/642. If you like Lasers, Laser Grips are the way to go. I like the LCR best because I like 357. I have a 442 and I like it as a light weight pocket back up on occasion but, the LCR 357 fits most pockets so it gets the job. As for a steal gun I picked the SP101. As it comes stock out of the box you can shoot 357 all day. Most of what I have read about S&W 357 light weights is they are no fun to shoot. The Model 60 with the right grips would be O.K. That's my opinion If it's worth anything.

happyguy
12-28-2011, 10:36
That's my opinion If it's worth anything.

It's worth as much as anybody else's.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

fowler
12-28-2011, 19:31
I like the sp101 all metal with 357mags in it and pachmyr compacs on it . Real control and fight-stopping power! No use for plastic wheelguns or alloy airweights.

HexHead
01-21-2012, 18:59
I got snubby fever again this week and started looking for something to replace my 442 I traded off a while ago. Looked at a no-dash Model 36, another 442, BG .38 and an LCR. Liked the trigger on the LCR the best of that bunch, but thought it looked weird and felt too light. I really disliked shooting the 442 because it was so light, and the LCR felt even lighter. I was leaning towards the Chief's Special because of the steel frame, but then I stumbled on a Colt Detective Special. Now my new pocket snubby.

I prefer Colts anyway. My other DS was too nice to EDC, this one had the suggestion of a turn line on the cylinder so it got the nod.

R*E
01-29-2012, 20:10
I was at Cabela's today and counted 10 used LCRs for sale. Guess there's plenty of folks who didn't like 'em.

Chup
01-30-2012, 06:09
I would buy a second LCR357 and carry Two except, I hate to put the SP101 away.

HexHead
01-30-2012, 06:18
I was leaning towards the Chief's Special because of the steel frame, but then I stumbled on a Colt Detective Special. Now my new pocket snubby.

I ended up going back and also picking up the Chief's Special for my wife. She loved the way if fit her hand.

up1911fan
01-30-2012, 12:16
Heres my LCR .38spcl with XS front sight and Crimson Trace Lasergrips.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/Ruger%20LCR/kodak045.jpg
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/Ruger%20LCR/kodak046.jpg

MrMurphy
02-02-2012, 02:51
Does anyone make a grip similar to the Crimson Trace (hard plastic or non-sticky rubber)? Can't find one....

up1911fan
02-02-2012, 13:35
The Houge Boot grip. I didn't like mine though.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/100_0132.jpg

MrMurphy
02-03-2012, 02:31
What didn't you like?

I really want Crimson Traces or equiv without the laser, but..

up1911fan
02-03-2012, 11:58
I found the recoil with .38spcl 130gr +p or standard 158gr to be a little brutal with the boot grip. I'm talking 30 rounds a session brutal. With the CTC's on it's much better. I put 125 rounds through it yesterday with no discomfort keeping all my shot's inside a 6" circle at 7 yards. There's no way I could shoot that many quality shots or maintain the accuracy without flinching using the boot grips.

L Pete
02-17-2012, 09:14
I saw the Taurus plastic one in the LGS the other day.....That needs no ammo......just the sight of that thing would scare off an attacker. Man,....is that thing ugly.

G19aps
02-17-2012, 11:33
That is so weird. I found that the CT grips were brutal, giving me a blood blister with only one shot. The Hogue boot grips don't do that and in general I find that they're more comfortable even with +P Gold Dot. Now... they still sting... but I don't get a blood blister.

just for fun
02-19-2012, 13:17
First thoughts were"Oh boy more plastic junk on the market! Sure as the world somebody will buy these." Shortly afterwards I saw one at my favorite gun store, asked to see it(only so I could make fun of it). BOUGHT IT!!! Got a soft spot for snubies and the, at the time, the newest Ruger is the best handling one I own. It's also the ugliest!

opr1945
02-19-2012, 19:02
The 442 isn't too "snappy", but it isn't really a range gun. And I'm not sure how accurate I'm going to be with it. But it is small and well-built! Wife carried it last night.

"...small and well-built!" wife? gun?

writwing
02-20-2012, 08:16

The flame cutting was only on a limited number of untreated Al frames.

You do realize that only the grip/trigger housing is plastic right?

writwing
03-02-2012, 19:08
I was at Cabela's today and counted 10 used LCRs for sale. Guess there's plenty of folks who didn't like 'em.

Or they were 38s that are being sold to pay for 357 LCRs. :cool:

Chup
03-03-2012, 11:06
I put 2000 rounds threw my LCR 357 most of the rounds 357. When ever I show the LCR at our shop I tell the customer if they want to try it shoot mine. Three customers have shot my gun and all three have bought one. Two were Ladies they did not like the Trigger Pull on other guns. So now my gun has even more rounds threw it and there is no signs of ware inside. We haven't had any returned with problems.

WMDoug
03-04-2012, 18:15
That is interesting that there are so many used LCRs for sale. I wouldn't want to part with mine. I was going to get rid of the crimson trace and replace with Hogue grips only because of the recoil, but that was short sighted on my part (no pun intended). The crimson trace allows me to aim without looking down the barrel from a cover position or from a draw position. I also get good practice feedback when carrying it around the house.

It is a snappy rascal but I really like this gun.

WMDoug
03-04-2012, 18:18
Heres my LCR .38spcl with XS front sight and Crimson Trace Lasergrips.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/Ruger%20LCR/kodak045.jpg
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/Ruger%20LCR/kodak046.jpg

That's my gun! In fact, I put the XS sights on it on your recommendation! Nice job.