Great day [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Great day

RustyFN
04-03-2011, 19:08
Went to the range with a friend of mine today. He bought a scope for his AR and needed help sighting it in. We got his done and then re-sighted mine because it was out of wack from our last trip. After that we proceeded to kill golf balls. Man was that fun, and those little buggers are tough. Also bought a new quad rail and bypod for my AR and was very happy with them. Almost forgot, I bought a Lee PPM and an adapter to fit it to the rifle charging die. I was able to adjust the powder throw a lot better that with the double disk kit. I loaded 25 grains of H335 and can't believe how accurate they were.

WiskyT
04-03-2011, 19:35
It's nice when a plan comes togeather.

shotgunred
04-03-2011, 19:44
Sounds like a lot more fun than my day of spring cleaning in the yard.
I have never tried golf balls. I will have to put them on my list. One of my favorites is to set up some bowling pins and then place a spent 12 gauge casing on top of them. Shoot the 12 gauge off the bowling pins and then shoot the bowling pins. It is amazing the number of people who can't quite hit the 12 gauge shells.

njl
04-04-2011, 07:21
Sounds like a lot more fun than my day of spring cleaning in the yard.
I have never tried golf balls. I will have to put them on my list. One of my favorites is to set up some bowling pins and then place a spent 12 gauge casing on top of them. Shoot the 12 gauge off the bowling pins and then shoot the bowling pins. It is amazing the number of people who can't quite hit the 12 gauge shells.

With what gun and at what distance? The local indoor range used to occasionally use empty shotgun shells (mostly, but not all 12G) as targets on .22 nights.

RustyFN
04-04-2011, 14:35
With what gun and at what distance? The local indoor range used to occasionally use empty shotgun shells (mostly, but not all 12G) as targets on .22 nights.

At 100 yards with an AR 15. Red we did the same thing. We found a couple of shotgun shells and set them up on a piece of wood. I had the bowling pins but we were having so much fun with the smaller targets that we didn't set the pins up. You will love the golf balls.

njl
04-04-2011, 14:53
At 100 yards with an AR 15. Red we did the same thing. We found a couple of shotgun shells and set them up on a piece of wood. I had the bowling pins but we were having so much fun with the smaller targets that we didn't set the pins up. You will love the golf balls.

We were using the shells as pistol targets at less than 25yds. 12G shells at 100yds...I could probably do with little trouble with my AR, from the bench, with a scope. Iron sights...I doubt very much I could see a 12G shell at that distance much less hit it other than by accident. Even when I used to shoot 3.5" hard drives at 120yds, they had to be angled just right to catch the sun or I couldn't see them with iron sights. I never have tried golf balls...haven't had access to a "range" where such ground targets would be tolerated.

WiskyT
04-04-2011, 15:01
We were using the shells as pistol targets at less than 25yds. 12G shells at 100yds...I could probably do with little trouble with my AR, from the bench, with a scope. Iron sights...I doubt very much I could see a 12G shell at that distance much less hit it other than by accident. Even when I used to shoot 3.5" hard drives at 120yds, they had to be angled just right to catch the sun or I couldn't see them with iron sights. I never have tried golf balls...haven't had access to a "range" where such ground targets would be tolerated.

Paramecium make good targets. It has to be sunny, but if you squint down real good, you can see them at 300 yards with iron sights.

PCJim
04-04-2011, 19:28
Paramecium make good targets. It has to be sunny, but if you squint down real good, you can see them at 300 yards with iron sights.

Aren't they kinda large for using iron sights? :tongueout:

shotgunred
04-04-2011, 21:12

Until the area around my farm was as populated as it is now I used to go shoot out in the back 40. Now days I can't even take a piss without going into the house. Darn neighbors built their house 50 foot off the property line and they have teenage daughters.

WiskyT
04-05-2011, 16:46
Until the area around my farm was as populated as it is now I used to go shoot out in the back 40. Now days I can't even take a piss without going into the house. Darn neighbors built their house 50 foot off the property line and they have teenage daughters.

I live in the 'burbs and I can pee in my back yard. Forsythias grow really fast.