What style of bullet do you shoot....and why? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What style of bullet do you shoot....and why?

wrx04
04-03-2011, 19:53
Up until now, i have reloaded about 5,000 MG 230gr CMJ. I see many guys like to shoot LSWC, but why? I'm starting to branch out, and ordered some lead 230gr roundnose from MObullet, but should i give another bullet "style" a shot?

Three-Five-Seven
04-03-2011, 20:04
I really like the composite tungsten/copper spiral projectile over a duplex loading of 4759 and Trail Boss.

labdwakin
04-03-2011, 20:05
I've been sticking with roundnose for the most part too. The reason being that I have several 45s and have read that the RN style bullets typically have the fewest feed problems.

shotgunred
04-03-2011, 20:20
Montana golds
I have shot boxes and boxes of Montana golds and really like them. I just don't like there current prices.

Rainier's
I have loaded more Rainier's than any other companies bullets. I like them and they feed well. I only recently quit using them. The lag time from ordering to receiving them was just to long.

Precision Delta
My current source for 9mm. they are priced good and I have always got them with in a week. I have never had a feeding issue with them.

Berrys
I have shot a couple of K of them. They seemed to work ok. I bought them to hold me over at the time I don't remember loving them or hating them.

In the 40 I normally shoot FMJ Flat Point bullets. Because they feed well in glocks. I don't have issues with them.

In 9mm I normally shoot FMJ Flat Point Round Nose bullets. Same reason because they feed well and I don't have issues with them.

gjk5
04-03-2011, 20:23
I like the 200gr RNFP from MBC myself.

HAMMERHEAD
04-03-2011, 20:45
I like SWC's. Rainier and Berry's plated 200 & 185 grainers in .45acp, cast/swaged in .44 spl/mag and .38/.357.
Why? Accuracy, cost, and if I do need to use my target ammo for something serious, it will work better than plain ball.

9mm gets mostly plated 147 FMJ-FP and some Hornady HAPs when I'm after a world record for accuracy from a Glock 19.

tjpet
04-03-2011, 20:49
I use 200grn. LSWCs in all my 1911s/revolvers. They're more accurate and cut cleaner holes in a target when you're playing games. I'd use them in my Glocks but they don't feed worth a darn.

Poppa Bear
04-03-2011, 21:08
I use 147 gr 9mm, 185 grain .40 S&W, and 230 grain .45 ACP Moly coated bullets from Precision Bullets. The guns used are a G34, a G35 and a Springfield Armory 1911.

Zero leading problems. In fact I had better than 2,500 through my G35 before I even ran a bore snake through the barrel a couple of nights ago.

Boxerglocker
04-03-2011, 21:10
I prefer the 200g Montana Gold JFP but utilize the moly coated Bear Creek 200g RNHB because of cost for .45 ACP.

Blitzo
04-03-2011, 21:29
A friend of mine got me hooked on loading lead bullets. Now I load all of my ammo with lead bullets, except for 10mm where I like to push a higher velocity. As far as the actual bullet type it really depends on the caliber.

jmorris
04-04-2011, 06:29
I shoot all of the types for all of the different reasons.

Lead: #1 cheap (the ones I cast are free) bullet but dirty
Coated: #2 cheap, no leading, cleaner
Plated: #3 cheap, no leading, cleaner yet
Jacket: not cheap, the best driven to high speeds

ColoCG
04-04-2011, 10:10
In .45ACP I like 200gr. RNFP in lead & 185gr.-200gr. TC in Berry's or Extreme plated. I also use lead and plated in .380acp, 9mm, and .40S&W.

I prefer LSWC in .38/.357mag. and .44spl./.44mag.

They are cheap and feed and shoot great.

MrVvrroomm
04-04-2011, 10:35
I go through a LOT of Montana Gold in both 9mm & .40

unclebob
04-04-2011, 10:45
9mm 135gr X-treme bullet, As far as I know has thicker plating that the other plated bullets. Larger weight for the Pepper Poppers and cheaper than the 147gr. Also we can get the X-treme bullets cheaper than the other plated bullets.
45acp 200gr X-treme bullets. Same as above. 45acp was designed for the 200gr. bullet has A lot less recoil than a 230gr bullet and they are also cheaper.
Non Glocks 200gr. rounds nose lead cast bullets.

Zombie Steve
04-04-2011, 10:58
Well, I've been running a Gioacast® 200 grain lswc in my .45's. Cheap, accurate and I happen to love verbal abuse, so going up to the plant works out great for me. :whistling:

Getting ready to cast as soon as my star sizer comes in. With the new mold, it will be a 225 grain truncated cone. Good jack-of-all-trades boolit.

GioaJack
04-04-2011, 11:19
Selection of bullet type is dependent on many factors, cost being the least significant. Although functioning reliability may be first and foremost with many shooters it's not necessarily so with a NRA bullseye shooter... ease of scoring may take president. Bullseye handgun shooting almost always incorporates a wadcutter or semi-wadcutter design bullet.

They are, without question, extremely accurate which obviously is the end goal of the discipline. They also offer the added benefit of cutting a clean, full caliber hole in the target which facilitates shot calling without a spotting scope at 25 yards and in scoring targets where it is only required to 'break the line' to be credited with the next highest scoring ring... unlike in black powder shooting where the line must be broken by at least half of the caliber ball.

Although there are many new products on the market that I have no experience with I have yet to own, or shoot a 1911 platform that wouldn't reliably feed SWC bullets. There are certain circumstances where a feed ramp may require some minor polishing but nothing that someone who is moderately adept with working on firearms can't successfully do in short order. I have noticed that the newer 1911's I've bought rarely need any modification what so ever.

Gamers, as expected, require functioning reliability over ease of scoring or accuracy as compared to a bullseye gun. One to one and a half inch accuracy offhand at twenty-five yards simply isn't needed in gaming... reliability is. Taking the time to clear a FTF, FTRB, stovepipe, etc. can easily cost a shooter a match. If one shoots a platform that is not conducive to a SWC design, (the G30 comes to mind) then a RN, TC, or RNFP should be considered.

Choosing bullet designs for defensive use raise additional considerations. Law enforcement must weigh the potential applications of both barrier penetration and anti-personnel effectiveness without over penetration when used against solely soft targets. Since there is no magic projectile that will fit the needs of all potential scenarios law enforcement often is placed in a position of compromise... much akin to choosing an all season tire rather than a snow tire or highway tire.

Private citizens who desire a projectile for personal protection tend to have an easier choice since, generally speaking, citizens are not routinely involved or faced with barrier penetration situations.

In both scenarios described above reliability is the first and foremost concern with bullet design choice. The most effective bullet imaginable is totally ineffective if it never leaves the barrel.

Choosing a bullet design for hunting applications entail a vast, vast set of variables that are too lengthly to delve into here and now. Suffice it to say that a loader whose goal is to take a game animal should already know enough about internal, external and terminal ballistics to make and educated decision as to what projectile will produce both accuracy and wound channel for a humane kill.

In short, if one is desirable of a bullet design that will meet the needs in other than social encounters or hunting situations start your testing with the least expensive bullet design and composition, (usually lead) and work up from there until an acceptable level of both reliability and accuracy is achieved.

Loading gives us the ability to experiment, no reason not to.

Jack

RustyFN
04-04-2011, 14:39
I shoot a 200 grain LSWC because that is the only bullet my mold will cast. :rofl: They also make a neat hole in cardboard.

shotgunred
04-04-2011, 16:07
This Saturday is going to be a big day for me in bullet selection. I am going to be shooting my own cast bullets for the first time. Success in this venture will allow me to be able to afford shoot a lot more.

noway
04-04-2011, 17:46
Keith's style in 45colt ( Mt.Baldy, Drycreek, and leadheads ) are for drilling animals and not paper :wavey:

fredj338
04-04-2011, 17:49
I shoot almost exclusively lead bullets, style varies w/ caliber & gun.

Jason D
04-04-2011, 17:53
I shoot the old H&G design all the time.
I rarely shoot hardball.

cole
04-05-2011, 00:57
Lead is all my .45acps see. 200 LSWC in my 1911s was long my favorite. But, I'm moving to 230gr LRN because it's both Glock- and 1911-friendly. And, I'm all about the 230gr when going RN in .45acp as this matches my HD loads.

I don't bother with lead in 9mm anymore. Plated or FMJ only. I've just stocked up on 124gr Berry's FP because I like the hole it makes in paper. Only saved $4/1k over FMJ, but it's still $4 and a cleaner hole.

kshutt
04-05-2011, 04:34
Since I don't buy aftermarket bbls for my Glocks, I load 230gr FMJRN or 230RN plated bullets. I do, however, load 200gr LSWC style bullets for my Wilson 1911. Go figure, It's the most expensive pistol I have and I shoot it the least. I even shoot my Sig P220 more than I shoot that expensive rascal. My range favorite is the fat, chubby little G30. I sprinkle in the G19 and G21 whenever I'm in the mood, but never shoot lead out of any of 'em. :wavey:

ColCol
04-05-2011, 18:27
I like LSWC'S and RF style bullets primarily because they cut clean holes in paper targets and are good on small game...two legged as well as four. The larger area the meplat is the more shock. Mostly I shoot/cast for 38/357 and 45 ACP. Of course, I don't shoot cast bullets in Glocks. Cast soft or even with a hollow point version some of them depending on load characteristics, rival JHP's.

For jacketed bullets, I still like good ol' hardball 230 gr FMJ for practice or the FP style offered by most all the major manufacturers.

PCJim
04-05-2011, 22:04
My favorite is a 125gr LCN sized at .3565. Lead is cheap, the weight is mid-range for the caliber and it feed reliably in all my 9s.

M1A Shooter
04-05-2011, 22:50
i shoot any fmj or plated bullet i can find in 9mm. for my 45, i shot 200gr LSWC from MBC as they were cheap and shot great.

DWARREN123
04-06-2011, 04:33
40 S&W and 10mm, I like hollow points, seems to be a little more accurate in good bullets.
I use plated, jacketed and lead. For lead a 175gr LSWC, 40 cal a good 180gr JHP and for the 10mm a 200gr JHP, also use the 175gr LSWC in 10mm.

Brands are Rainier, Magnus, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra and SnS Casting or Magnus for lead.