Lubrication: Solids or Liquids? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication: Solids or Liquids?

OldScribe2009
04-03-2011, 21:07
I've seen debates on other forums concerning whether traditional gun oils (like Remington) are better than related products that are paste-like (e.g. Gun Butter).

One side believes that oils are better because they "flow," enabling the lubricant to get into hard-to-reach areas that need to be protected. They also believe that the thicker the lubricant, the more likely it is to gum-up and collect dirt and grime, which defeats the purpose of using it in the first place.

The other side argues that the thicker the lubricant, the more likely it is to stay where you put it. What good is your oil if it leaks off the rails and machinery and gets into places where you DON'T need it (which will cause problems rather than remedy them)? They believe thicker products are easier to apply, keep in place, and remove. Not to mention they just do a better job because they're thicker and create more of a barrier between moving parts, which reduces friction and reduces wear.

What is your opinion on this matter?

Luminary
04-03-2011, 21:08
As long as you lube the gun with something, I'm sure it doesn't matter.

Edit: Not trying to sound like a SA. It's my opinion :P.

Travclem
04-03-2011, 21:11
I like grease for sig and 1911 rails and oil for everything else.

CitizenOfDreams
04-03-2011, 21:18
Oil flows. This makes it easy to apply, just put a drop of it anywhere. It also makes a mess when oil crawls into places where you don't need it, like the firing pin channel or the holster. Also, after some time oil crawls away completely, leaving the parts dry.

Grease stays where you put it. This makes it harder to apply, but you don't have to do it as often.

Use whatever you like, from 20W50 from the dipstick of your truck to $5/oz Tetra Grease. There is no universal answer.

Brucev
04-04-2011, 09:20
Oil... grease... each has its place. One a Glock, oil is fine. Not a big deal. Really not a big deal for any handgun unless it is exposed to inclement weather. For regular use, CLP is very good. On rifles like the M-1, grease is recommended. I have had good results simply using the oil and grease sold by Wilson Combat. Syringe applicator is very convenient and precise.

OldScribe2009
04-04-2011, 13:57
Oil... grease... each has its place. One a Glock, oil is fine. Not a big deal. Really not a big deal for any handgun unless it is exposed to inclement weather. For regular use, CLP is very good. On rifles like the M-1, grease is recommended. I have had good results simply using the oil and grease sold by Wilson Combat. Syringe applicator is very convenient and precise.

I'm glad you mentioned CLP, and I assume you're referring to Break-Free CLP. It's advertised as a "Cleaner, Lubricant and Preservative." I'm going to guess that in order to use its cleaning properties, you treat it just like you would any solvent, like Hoppes No. 9, for example. Soak a swab, run it through the bore, etc. So, once the gun is clean, you then spray the CLP the same way you would any oil, applying it to the rails, a bit around the barrel, and so forth. And then to make use of its preservative properties, you can spray it on exterior surfaces to help protect against the elements.

Does this sound accurate?

Brucev
04-04-2011, 15:17
"I'm glad you mentioned CLP..." etc. With respect, CLP is a good general purpose oil, etc. I have with success used it to clean a fouled bore. However, it is not a copper solvent (think Shooters Choice, etc.). It is not a long term preservative (think RIG, or USGI cosmoline). It does a good job of allowing one to maintain a firearm. It has given me very good results on my firearms since I first started using it... way back in the 80's.